The drones are here

Discussion in 'FedEx Discussions' started by dmac1, Oct 1, 2019.

1. vantexan

vantexan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking they'll do deliveries from UPS buildings in large metro areas, and that'll be the bulk of it. Too much liability in having drivers launch drones from trucks.

2. Fred's Myth

Fred's Myth Nonhyphenated American

Have you not seen the prototype?

3. It will be fine

It will be fine Well-Known Member

You think liability is lower using drones in populated metro areas as opposed to out in the sticks flying over corn? Might want to think that through again.

4. vantexan

I'm thinking dozens of drivers launching drones greatly increases the chances of doing themselves harm, causing damage to private property, holding them up from doing other deliveries. Meanwhile a trained team can be launching dozens of drones continuously all day long from the company building. Less vehicles, less fuel, less cost.

5. vantexan

No, going on what Amazon demonstrated awhile back.

6. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The one with a drone on the roof of a package car?

7. Fred's Myth

8. vantexan

Looks like they have put a lot more development into it than Amazon. I wonder with the trucks how long until they break even with costs?

9. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Notice in the drone video the weather is perfect. Rainstorms, high winds, heavy snow and ice will make that all a real challenge in the real world.

10. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

The stops per hour for a drone would be really funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Cactus

Cactus Just telling it like it is

Then we’ll see which drone gets the first OLCC. :laugh:

12. Fred's Myth

Concept is for the drone AND the driver to make simultaneous deliveries, with the drone reacquiring the truck wherever the driver is, reload, recharge, and repeat.

Assuming the drone makes it back to the truck.

And yes, @Cactus, the weather is always perfect, just like the leisurely belt speed in the FedEx videos.

Welcome to @59 Dano's reality.

13. bacha29

bacha29 Well-Known Member

Express might be using these after awhile but don't expect to see Ground using them because they're much closer to the day when they're hooking towmotors on the back of contractor owned vehicles much in the same way building material companies do.

14. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Sounds like the organic drones UPS already uses.

They are called helpers.

15. burrheadd

burrheadd KING Of GIFS

Then you would be thinking wrong

16. vantexan

We've clarified that already.

17. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Driver was written up today for using the drone to pick him up and fly him above a nude beach on his lunch break .

18. Fred's Myth

Do you plan to contest it?

19. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Company says it's a misuse of company equipment but they don't have a leg to stand up since it's not addressed in the contract .

20. 59 Dano

59 Dano I just want to make friends!

I said earlier in the thread that people were overthinking this, and they continue to do so.

Drone deliveries can be useful (read: cost effective) in some scenarios. They will be used in those scenarios. LOL @ the derpy LOOK I DUN THUNK UP A SITCHY-ASHUN WHUR THAY DONT WERK WHY DUZ THEY THANK THAY CAN DO THIS crap.