The FedEx Business Model

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
The Ground / Home station that is in my area is not set up for people walking in off the street to get their pkgs. There is no "front counter" nor, a "front door". Are all the Ground / Home stations set up like this? Not meant for retail type shipping?

Mom

Our station is not set up as such for retail either. Its a office with space for about 5 morons to sit in and thats it.

I ALWAYS side with the driver, even if they aren't mine, for ANY customer complaint. Except, in the case I mentioned, the Penske had been returned and the driver had plowed a mailbox the previous week and it also went unreported by that contractor. If that mirror accident had been reported, our terminal would have been in deep for accident frequency. That month had like 4 other reportable incidents.

I report when my guys hit birds, for cripes sake. I had one where a new driver left .5" of bumper rubber on a post in the terminal (tailswing caught just the rubber nub on the bumper) no damage, I could WIPE the rubber off. I reported it, and the accident counted against me. I was sworn at and told I was going to be terminated, on the belt, in front of my employees and other contractors. CR said I need to learn to get along with my SM.

He hates that I'm way younger and way better looking and way less male and make way more $ than him. Thats my theory.

CJinx

I had one where a new driver left .5" of bumper rubber on a post in the terminal (tailswing caught just the rubber nub on the bumper) no damage, I could WIPE the rubber off. I reported it, and the accident counted against me.
That's weird. I've always been told that accidents that occur in the station/yard do not count against the station. Not that they occur frequently, but overhead doors have been taken out more than once by someone trying to 'beat' the automatic closing door...

Mom

Yep that one sat on the board in red until the three subsequent mailboxes, all by other separator contractors over peak on rurals, bumped it off. I don't know if it truly 'affects' the station, nor do I really care about that. It sure impacted my bonus. But certain things that affect one contractor do not affect another, either. The FedEx Business Model boils down to who enjoys taking abuse and not contact CR, regional management, and attorneys to contact the legal team.

Its amazing how fast you can go from being the Golden Boy (or girl) at our location once you catch on how hard you are being screwed and attempt to stand up for yourself by not bending over for it like the rest of the Pansy contractors in the facility. Especialy when you operate 100% by the contract, and there is nothing they can do to 'get rid' of you like they so often like to threaten, and both parties know it.

Mom

:D <--- pretty close to that, with better hair. And slightly larger, wider set eyes. But the teeth are dead on.

dvalleyjim

In response to y'all refering to me as a no-nothing fly-by-the seat of my pants contractor: Not if the terminal allowed it and loaded it. It has their name on it and everyone form the TM on down knew the exact status of the vehicle, shoot I could have sued them, so don't get cute with me. Maybe the approval was in limbo or the managers were incompetent I don't know. Anyway all this went away with the ISP model. This was more RPS to FedEx ground transistional stuff. I have to remember I am talking to people who never experienced anything but FedEx ground and ISP.

Mom

I was in elementary school when RPS still operated. And I still know that the owner of any vehicle being operated on a roadway must carry the minimum liability insurance mandated by the state of registration. The owner, not the puppet master that puts their stickers on it and fills it with their devil-boxes. This another example of FedEx taking advantage of somebody else to remove themselves from any position of risk.

dvalleyjim

I was in elementary school when RPS still operated. And I still know that the owner of any vehicle being operated on a roadway must carry the minimum liability insurance mandated by the state of registration. The owner, not the puppet master that puts their stickers on it and fills it with their devil-boxes. This another example of FedEx taking advantage of somebody else to remove themselves from any position of risk.

Sorry to keep beating this post, I need to let it die.

You know Mom, I was always amazed at what huevos the guy who started roadway package systems must of had and what an ingenius scam it was. Why couldn't I have thought of that.

Hell, when I started with them you didn't even own your routes and couldn't buy or sell them. One contractor, one truck. Wow, look what it has evolved into mostly due to RPS and then Fedex being sued, audited and fined into constantly updating the business model. I am so suprised it has lasted this long and has become the fix all, end all ISP model.

As a side note. If I ever talk to a business person or an uninformed business lawyer or accountant and try to explain my relationship with FedEx they always are real confused.
I must think that nobody really operates a company like this possibly because they would be in jail?

Well they keep me working and I guess at my age I'll see what the next hoop will be to maintain the business model. Hopefully it will still be profitable for me.