The future of I.S.?

whiskeyagogo

They could cut cost by removing BROWN BOOK and stop pretending that people use it for anything of use.Maybe they could eliminate the 4 different "tools" that are used to initate and track projects?
If someone could speak freely without fear of recourse maybe, just maybe, there would be some real money saved...

Ironic isn't it? Jim M. held big offsite meetings early in the year to announce exactly these kinds of initiatives - removal of redundant tools, getting the most for our money from people, stopping unnecessary meetings. We had to do these things or he threatened to 'pull the layoff lever'... Remember?

We have the same problems he preached that we would be solving in 2009 as we sail towards 2010. What went wrong?

Last edited:

randomUPSISer

Ironic isn't it? Jim M. held big offsite meetings early in the year to announce exactly these kinds of initiatives - removal of redundant tools, getting the most for our money from people, stopping unnecessary meetings. We had to do these things or he threatened to 'pull the layoff lever'... Remember?

We have the same problems he preached that we would be solving in 2009 as we sail towards 2010. What went wrong?

Its pretty hard to get rid of redundant tools. As soon as you kill one, another one pops up. There are tons of redundant tools when you compare the NJ and Louisville campus for example. It seems both campuses do NOT like what the other comes up with, so they build their own, then we end up with 2 or 3 versions of the same thing, only to 5-6 years down the road kill 2 of them and end up with the worst of the bunch :sad-very:

nervIS

.... cut cost by removing BROWN BOOK...

WOW!!! I forgot that Brown Book even existed. The only good thing it does is show who was the latest visitor. So just in case your PL went to the site, you might get a gold star for the day. God forbid any actual work gets done. :smart:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Shared Services is a large group. Collections, Billing, Customer Service, I.S., on and on.

I take it you are not in the IS organization.
The Shared Services referred to here is a portfolio (comparable to a district) that is mostly in New Jersey.

I believe the Shared Services you are referring to is in the districts/regions/corporate that coordinate and facilitate cross-functional services, buildings and other resources shared by multiple groups within the company.

randomUPSISer

Any "new"' info floating around out there? We are getting closer and closer to the rumored January thing that's been floating around since the summer.

Anyone else watching the good I.S.ers walk out the door to better paying jobs?

Barndog324

I was with IS for 20yrs and when I got the boot for the so called Global Development. When I moved my 401k to HL my financial adviser suggested that I get rid of all my UPS stock. He told me the stock will never perform like Mgmt thought it would because of the investment decisions made by the board. Basically he said that while UPS is acquiring other companies, the stock would never really grow because all of their purchases are in the transportation industry instead of truly diversifying the company. He also pointed out how the Menlo acquisition was basically like throwing 200 million dollars out the windowm because all they really got was a customer list and most of those companies took their business elsewhere.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I was with IS for 20yrs and when I got the boot for the so called Global Development. When I moved my 401k to HL my financial adviser suggested that I get rid of all my UPS stock. He told me the stock will never perform like Mgmt thought it would because of the investment decisions made by the board. Basically he said that while UPS is acquiring other companies, the stock would never really grow because all of their purchases are in the transportation industry instead of truly diversifying the company. He also pointed out how the Menlo acquisition was basically like throwing 200 million dollars out the windowm because all they really got was a customer list and most of those companies took their business elsewhere.

UPS is essentialy a Utility stock.
Definitely has no potential as a growth stock.
Dividend needs to higher - at least a 4% yield.
Then it would be a good retirement stock.

A

an anonymous guest

Although I agree UPS is not a growth stock, it is a financially solid, stable company with an excellent dividend with reasonable growth potential from here. You need to do your own analysis, diversify your assets, and make you own decisions. I don't know who 'HL' is but they are giving you the same song and dance every advisor/broker has done for years, so they can earn fees by managing the money you formally had in UPS stock. I certainly do not agree with their analysis on the Menlo acquisition, it was actually one of our better ones JMHO. Be careful out there.

Go UPS!
P71