The Good Old Days

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When I think of the good ole' days, I think of the days I used to hang out before/after work with my co-workers. We used to play handball, basketball, etc at the park by my job when I was a PM courier. We used to meet at certain times somewhere for lunch when I had my AM route in NY. That doesn't happen anymore.

True. We used to do the same thing. Now, it's a rarity.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
You know, I wish the UPS people who occasionally jump-in over here had a clue of what FedEx is really like. I can tell from the responses, that most of them don't get it.

Yup,
Most of the time their one-post-wonderful answer is "I would grieve it" or, "talk to your shop steward about that"
Yeah,
Ha ha ha, we all get the little joke to yourselves.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yup,
Most of the time their one-post-wonderful answer is "I would grieve it" or, "talk to your shop steward about that"
Yeah,
Ha ha ha, we all get the little joke to yourselves.

A few weeks back, there was someone who was acting like they worked for FedEx and said exactly what you said about "grieving it". They immediately exposed themselves as fake.

jmeti000

When I think of the good ole' days, I think of the days I used to hang out before/after work with my co-workers. We used to play handball, basketball, etc at the park by my job when I was a PM courier. We used to meet at certain times somewhere for lunch when I had my AM route in NY. That doesn't happen anymore.

Its probably because everyone is to busy working 2 or 3 jobs trying to get buy and support their family. I never understood how FedEx is mostly a part time company and yet they still expect you to treat it as your primary job. Perhaps if they offered more full time positions with better pay then it could be considered primary...but that would make to much sense.

LTFedExer

Its probably because everyone is to busy working 2 or 3 jobs trying to get buy and support their family. I never understood how FedEx is mostly a part time company and yet they still expect you to treat it as your primary job. Perhaps if they offered more full time positions with better pay then it could be considered primary...but that would make to much sense.
If you're PT, you work from this time to that time. If they want you to stay later, it would be by choice. This makes having a 2nd job easy, if you choose to.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

The day you come to terms with leaving common sense at the door is liberating. Just go with it, and when you leave the building, do what you do.

The Mayor

You know, I wish the UPS people who occasionally jump-in over here had a clue of what FedEx is really like. I can tell from the responses, that most of them don't get it. The duplicity, the level of scrutiny, and the absolute control that management exerts over most employees. The fact that they (UPS) have a union makes all the difference in the world, especially when it comes to pay. Smith is like some sort of alien tyrant, who has managed to control the government for his own nefarious purposes. He basically owns most of the legislators in this country, which allows him to basically do as he pleases when it comes to dealing with employees. He needs to be "destroyed" (in a metaphorical sense) because he is inherently evil and the antithesis of a good corporate leader. In many ways, he reminds me of Dick Cheney, a person that would do anything for the money, up to and including throwing his own country under the bus.

Or shoot his best friend in the face on a "hunting" trip..

Lordtekk

For those of you too young to remember, there was a time when we either drove regular body Ford Econolines or stepvans. Some stations even had Dodge vans, and in areas where they were needed there were even Chevy S-10's with cargo tops.

Back then you had to peel a sticker with tracking number off pkg, if it had one, and place it on your delivery record, paper of course. If it didn't have one you wrote the tracking number on record and you always printed recip's name, address, and time of delivery. Many of you newbies remember the super tracker but I became a courier shortly after it was introduced. The older guys at that point were still trying to figure it out.

Pickups meant punching zip into tracker and then writing URSA on pkg with magic marker. I seemed to have ink on my hands all the time.

Back then we had dress shirts with military style epaulets on our shoulders. A guy with 10 year epaulets was someone to be respected back then.

Back in the good old days we managed our time, and were judged primarily by how much we did. And since the work was more time consuming back then we had more couriers doing less, instead of our hyperproductive jobs now where less people do more, and are pushed to do even more than that, and after adjusting for inflation are being paid less.

Federal Express was more physical then, couriers had to know more, and there was a sense that we were all in it together. There are some things I miss, some I don't, but it was definitely a different world before 1994 or so. I wish everyone could've experienced the company back then. And I wish the company would realize that you can't conjure up loyalty and productivity with dinners, banners hung from the roof, and little awards. Better pay gives us a vested interest in seeing the company succeed. Get us to better pay faster and I believe you'll get the productivity you want.

I sure remember those days,kind of feels like it was all a dream.

franknitty

Lets just enjoy the days we're experiencing now, which includes but not limited to: falsification, shorter stem times, higher SPH, lack of working equipment, no gatekeepers, couriers reporting to working 2 hours early to reserve a truck for themselves and their friends, drivers working on their break AND driving back to the station while in a break code, dispatchers who don't have a clue about dispatching, and my favorite, the "Free Money" Fedex is so nice to give to its employees !

Ghostwriter

YES, I can't wait to sit my grandchildren down and tell them the great tales of the insane productivity push. Yea, never mind tales of heroes, I will just relate to them how I made shorter stem-times, higher SPH goal, and great PU reliability. (I am sure they will be proud). p.s. LOL!!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
YES, I can't wait to sit my grandchildren down and tell them the great tales of the insane productivity push. Yea, never mind tales of heroes, I will just relate to them how I made shorter stem-times, higher SPH goal, and great PU reliability. (I am sure they will be proud). p.s. LOL!!!

FedEx used to be an excellent company to work for, but that was a long time ago, in a galaxy far away. I know it's hard to believe, but hourlies actually used to be respected and paid well. Now, they just want robots.