The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

542thruNthru

Here's the problem.

Last contract, drivers bitched about working too many hours during the week and then being forced to work on Saturday. So, the Union did something about it. They heard the crying and bitching from the drivers.

I agree, the 22.4's were not implemented as originally proposed so as to eliminate unnecessary OT and weekend work. Sunday delivery is coming. What do you want?

Do you want all Mon-Fri jobs eliminated and turned into Tue-Sat or Wed-Sun? Be careful what you wish for.

The 22.4 jobs are here to stay to delivery the weekend work. We just need to reign in the language, like paying FT driver wage for the time they deliver packages, so as not to abuse the language just to deliver packages at a cheaper rate.

Sorry, but O'Brien knows this. The 22.4's are here to stay. Let's just clean up the language.
I love it. Major promises made. Everyone parroting "OZ will removing 22.4s!" and now it's. Oh... We always knew that they were never going away. Looks like what we are hearing is correct. I thought this was the new teamsters. The "I won't back down teamsters."

Called it from the beginning. Campaign promises. This is why I hate politics.

542thruNthru

Sorry, but O'Brien knows this. The 22.4's are here to stay. Let's just clean up the language.
Wait he knows this? I beg to differ sir. Unless I'm mistaken UPS is still making record profits and people like @Red Devil and many others were promised something.

sketch-1647160489303.jpg

sketch-1647160489427.jpg

Trucker Clock

Wait he knows this? I beg to differ sir. Unless I'm mistaken UPS is still making record profits and people like @Red Devil and many others were promised something.

Those who believed those campaign promises were naive. How many times has someone running for office, any office, made campaign promises and then didn't follow through? The two biggest one I remember recently were Trump saying he was going to drain the swamp and Biden saying he was going to get bipartisan cooperation on the economy.

Hell, look at Hoffa. When he ran against Leedham, he promised to unify the Union and restore the power of the Teamster influence. He did neither.

UPS is making record profits now, so they can pay time and a half to deliver packages on the weekend to RPCD's. Wait...didn't RPCD's bitch about being forced to work on the weekend during the last contract negotiation? Now they want to?

What will happen in three years when the profits go back to where they used to be, and UPS doesn't have all this extra money to pay time and a half, or double time, to deliver on the weekends?

The solution is to get rid of 22.4's, right? OK. UPS will then need Tue-Sat and Wed-Sun RPCD's. The Mon-Fri RPCD job will be gone, albeit for a few high seniority drivers because there will not be enough work on Wed, Thurs, and Fri to support all 3 job schedules.

I was originally on board with the 22.4 position, as initially thought out. Work in the hub for half the day and then deliver for half the day relieving the RPCD's of the excessive OT they were bitching about. And then delivering on Saturday relieving the RPCD's of the forced 6th punch they were bitching about. The 22.4's should be making driver rate though (equal pay for equal work) while they are driving. This would eliminate UPS using them just to save a buck delivering packages. And if these 22.4's ended up delivering all the time, and not working in the hub, then after 30 days it should be a new FT RPCD job.

I said it last contract. Be careful what you wish for. Look what it got you.

I'll say it again this contract. Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it. You may just eliminate the Mon-Fri job.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was originally on board with the 22.4 position, as initially thought out. Work in the hub for half the day and then deliver for half the day relieving the RPCD's of the excessive OT they were bitching about. And then delivering on Saturday relieving the RPCD's of the forced 6th punch they were bitching about. The 22.4's should be making driver rate though (equal pay for equal work) while they are driving. This would eliminate UPS using them just to save a buck delivering packages. And if these 22.4's ended up delivering all the time, and not working in the hub, then after 30 days it should be a new FT RPCD job.

Yep.

If this would have actually happened, we wouldn't even be talking about the 22.4 jobs.

We could be concentrating on other things....

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

He had better at least make a good faith effort to follow through on these promises. I understand we may not get everything. But with the company making money hand over fist he should be going in guns blazing.

Thebrownblob

Those who believed those campaign promises were naive. How many times has someone running for office, any office, made campaign promises and then didn't follow through? The two biggest one I remember recently were Trump saying he was going to drain the swamp and Biden saying he was going to get bipartisan cooperation on the economy.

Hell, look at Hoffa. When he ran against Leedham, he promised to unify the Union and restore the power of the Teamster influence. He did neither.

UPS is making record profits now, so they can pay time and a half to deliver packages on the weekend to RPCD's. Wait...didn't RPCD's bitch about being forced to work on the weekend during the last contract negotiation? Now they want to?

What will happen in three years when the profits go back to where they used to be, and UPS doesn't have all this extra money to pay time and a half, or double time, to deliver on the weekends?

The solution is to get rid of 22.4's, right? OK. UPS will then need Tue-Sat and Wed-Sun RPCD's. The Mon-Fri RPCD job will be gone, albeit for a few high seniority drivers because there will not be enough work on Wed, Thurs, and Fri to support all 3 job schedules.

I said it last contract. Be careful what you wish for. Look what it got you.

I'll say it again this contract. Be careful what you wish for, because you may just get it. You may just eliminate the Mon-Fri job.
You may be surprised just how many Uninformed or naïve members are hedging their bets on the 22.4 being gone August 2023. You have to be careful of your rhetoric, Lest it comes back to bite you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
was originally on board with the 22.4 position, as initially thought out. Work in the hub for half the day and then deliver for half the day
You are naive if you ever thought this was going to happen
Oh I know what was proposed but you have to read between the lines a bit and know how ups operates they will bastardize anything they touch if given the chance

Trucker Clock

You may be surprised just how many Uninformed or naïve members are hedging their bets on the 22.4 being gone August 2023. You have to be careful of your rhetoric, Lest it comes back to bite you.

If the 22.4’s go away, we will have Tue-Sat and Wed-Sun RPCD’s. The Mon-Fri jobs will be a thing of the past.

How you gonna vote?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
If the 22.4’s go away, we will have Tue-Sat and Wed-Sun RPCD’s. The Mon-Fri jobs will be a thing of the past.

How you gonna vote?

Monday through Friday RPCD positions will never go away, the package car runs will be bid according to seniority similar to the annual feeder bids. The lower seniority package car drivers will have to settle for the Tuesday through Saturday and the Wednesday through Sunday runs. I worked weekends for years and I found it easier than working only weekdays, you adjust.