The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight

542thruNthru

Where you hear this from… pm me if you don’t wAnt to say it out in the open.. you going to be on the zoom call Saturday??? Think they are going to name the package division heads… hopefully should be informative.
It's just something I heard. Doesn't mean anything. Besides it'll be the members that have the last say either way.

Yes I'll be on the zoom call. From what he said last call it should be everyone that deals with UPS. Curious if Panel chairs will be announced. Wondering if we'll be getting a new one.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Considering that warehouse jobs that are physical, like grocery warehouses, are creeping past $25 hr towards 30, we aren't as far ahead as a year ago. Walmart DC in Tobyhanna is advertising $28.70 to start. This is the first time in a couple of generations it's good to be a blue collar laborer.
Target is starting people out in some places at 24… with some health benefits… Taco Bell is at 18 to start.. with free food.

Whereistheunion

Our former Unioun
Why you old timers always think there’s going to be a “yes bonus”?? Been here 30 years and never once has there been a yes bonus..only 2 cola raises in 30 years also…
Our former Union president did such a terrible job negotiating our previous 2 contracts; we ended up getting retro pay for our contracts being enforced a year after they expired. Sort of a Bonus if you will.

Thebrownblob

Just got off the zoom call. 22.4s are here to stay.
I believe the part time starting rate Will go up substantially, mostly because UPS has little choice.I’m not so confident 22.4 will be gone. It will be tweaked and new rules. And I do not believe it will be all Sean’s fault. In the last negotiations the rumor was the strike vote was embarrassingly low, and we all know the participation in the contract vote was pathetic. Most people complained about the 2/3 rule. Well it’s gone now. But what good would strike be if the majority of the people don’t care enough to vote? How long will the strike lines hold up? I was a delegate I voted to get rid of the 2/3 because that was the will of the people. I hope people are ready to put up or shut up, because I believe a strike or at least a very credible threat of a strike is what it will take to get rid of 22.4. Sean can only negotiate it , The members will have to fight for it.

PT Car Washer

I believe the part time starting rate Will go up substantially, mostly because UPS has little choice.I’m not so confident 22.4 will be gone. It will be tweaked and new rules. And I do not believe it will be all Sean’s fault. In the last negotiations the rumor was the strike vote was embarrassingly low, and we all know the participation in the contract vote was pathetic. Most people complained about the 2/3 rule. Well it’s gone now. But what good would strike be if the majority of the people don’t care enough to vote? How long will the strike lines hold up? I was a delegate I voted to get rid of the 2/3 because that was the will of the people. I hope people are ready to put up or shut up, because I believe a strike or at least a very credible threat of a strike is what it will take to get rid of 22.4. Sean can only negotiate it , The members will have to fight for it.
22.4 are here to stay. Once the company gains a concession it is almost impossible to roll it back. What are you willing to give up? Good news is that you can blame it on all of the 22.4 who did not vote.

Thebrownblob

22.4 are here to stay. Once the company gains a concession it is almost impossible to roll it back. What are you willing to give up? Good news is that you can blame it on all of the 22.4 who did not vote.
I don’t disagree 22.4 is most likely here to stay. I don’t even think any of the people in my building who are 22.4 even worked at UPS during the last contract vote lol. I doubt most people are willing to give up much of anything (and that includes a few weeks of pay on a strikeline). I can assure you TDU will blame Sean when the 22.4 article is still in the next contract. In my experience TDU is amazing at pointing out a flaw or problem. But they’re completely awful at solutions that will work. Name calling and grandstanding seem to be what they’re best at. I like Sean, I like his energy, I don’t know how long his relationship with TDU types will last.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I don’t disagree 22.4 is most likely here to stay. I don’t even think any of the people in my building who are 22.4 even worked at UPS during the last contract vote lol. I doubt most people are willing to give up much of anything (and that includes a few weeks of pay on a strikeline). I can assure you TDU will blame Sean when the 22.4 article is still in the next contract. In my experience TDU is amazing at pointing out a flaw or problem. But they’re completely awful at solutions that will work. Name calling and grandstanding seem to be what they’re best at. I like Sean, I like his energy, I don’t know how long his relationship with TDU types will last.

I have no issue with the multiple titles, part time, full time, 22.2, 22.3, air drivers, feeders, clerks, porters, yard birds, car washers or (22.4's) as long (everybody has the same opportunities for equal pay for equal work, have the same workplace rights, and equal retirement and health and welfare benefits nationwide it would be a victory.)

Trucker Clock

I've been hearing some of the same. Let's hope it's not true.

22.4 are here to stay. Once the company gains a concession it is almost impossible to roll it back.

Here's the problem.

Last contract, drivers bitched about working too many hours during the week and then being forced to work on Saturday. So, the Union did something about it. They heard the crying and bitching from the drivers.

I agree, the 22.4's were not implemented as originally proposed so as to eliminate unnecessary OT and weekend work. Sunday delivery is coming. What do you want?

Do you want all Mon-Fri jobs eliminated and turned into Tue-Sat or Wed-Sun? Be careful what you wish for.

The 22.4 jobs are here to stay to delivery the weekend work. We just need to reign in the language, like paying FT driver wage for the time they deliver packages, so as not to abuse the language just to deliver packages at a cheaper rate.

Sorry, but O'Brien knows this. The 22.4's are here to stay. Let's just clean up the language.

Last edited:

Thebrownblob

I have no issue with the multiple titles, part time, full time, 22.2, 22.3, air drivers, feeders, clerks, porters, yard birds, car washers or (22.4's) as long (everybody has the same opportunities for equal pay for equal work, have the same workplace rights, and equal retirement and health and welfare benefits nationwide it would be a victory.)
I agree that that would be quite a victory, unfortunately some of those things were given up long before the last contract. The equal pay was given Up I believe in 1983 as we still have a few of those red circle part-time employees where I am. They make maybe $.10 less an hour then a regular package car driver. I don’t know if Sean and his team can get something like that back all at once.

Thebrownblob

Here's the problem.

Last contract, drivers bitched about working too many hours during the week and then being forced to work on Saturday. So, the Union did something about it. They heard the crying and bitching from the drivers.

I agree, the 22.4's were not implemented as originally proposed so as to eliminate unnecessary OT and weekend work. Sunday delivery is coming. What do you want?

Do you want all M-friend jobs eliminated and turned into Tue-Sat or Wed-Sun? Be careful what you wish for.

The 22.4 jobs are here to stay to delivery the weekend work. We just need to reign in the language, like paying FT driver wage for the time they deliver packages, so as not to abuse the language just to deliver packages at a cheaper rate.

Sorry, but O'Brien knows this. The 22.4's are hear to stay. Let's just clean up the language.
That’s exactly what I Believe will happen the language will get cleaned up. Haven’t seen 22.4‘s go more than 18 months before they moved to RPCDs.where I am. And since you only have to go through one progression they really don’t lose that much money. We do have to keep pressure on the company to move them up as they get lazy and do not do it automatically. Unfortunately TDU will say Sean is a sellout with anything less than the removal of 22.4 language.

Pullman Brown

22.4’s are eligible for 9.5 and eight hour days. 22.4’s that go RPCD go to Tues-Saturday to cover the extra Saturday routes that 22.4’s don’t fill. Every new 22.4 position moves a RPCD to M-Friday. Just keep bumping everybody up. 25 percent moves to 35 percent per center not building. Still have drivers working six days but should be minimal. Use the same type of logic when they go to Sunday operations.

RMR46

The Hoffa era is over, and the Teamsters are ready to fight - The Real News

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters just held a pivotal leadership election that will set a new course for one of the most storied unions in existence. The election officially marked the end of the Hoffa era—James P. Hoffa, son of Jimmy Hoffa, retired as Teamsters General President. In a major shift that will have significant ripple effects within the Teamsters and the labor movement writ large, members elected the Teamsters United reform slate headed by incoming president and Hoffa critic Sean O’Brien. As journalist Indigo Olivier wrote for Jacobin, “With 1.4 million members, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) election results have implications not just for the massive upcoming United Parcel Service (UPS) contract, but for organizing Amazon and pushing labor-friendly legislation like the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act. The election marks the first time that a coalition backed by Teamsters for a Democratic Union, a rank-and-file reform caucus, will head the union since former IBT president Ron Carey was removed from office on false corruption charges in 1997.”
I hope it's not too late

542thruNthru

I can assure you TDU will blame Sean when the 22.4 article is still in the next contract.
I'll take that bet. OZ is TDUs boys. TDU will back O'Brien and blame Hoffa still. They will say that Hoffa screwed up so bad that O'Brien had no chance of changing it.
In my experience TDU is amazing at pointing out a flaw or problem. But they’re completely awful at solutions that will work. Name calling and grandstanding seem to be what they’re best at. I like Sean, I like his energy, I don’t know how long his relationship with TDU types will last.
It'll last till he goes against them or they start to lose membership because they are not needed. Just my opinion.