The Incredible Shrinking Man

bbsam

Staff member
Hey sober, I know the feeling. At 6'2 and 255 I couldn't hardly work a full day. Feel my best around 218 and am currently at 235. One thing I've noticed is find an exercise you enjoy. Personally I love racqetball. Very intense and easy to find others of equal skill (or in my case non-skilled) level. I play with a friend from college and though I've never beaten him, always a wicked work-out. Good luck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am almost embarassed to say that I have the opposite problem--I simply cannot gain weight. I am just over 6' tall and weigh between 160 and 165 lbs. I can eat anything and everything and not worry about it. My ex hopes it catches up to me as I get older but I will be 50 next year and so far...
well.....we just dont like you anymore..............................Going through this mid life thingy, I look at a french fry and gain 15 pounds. Tonight we had boneless chicken, and mushrooms, and I eat healthy most of the time.
The thing about Heart problems is 1.heredity 2. luck 3.lifestyle, and only one of those YOU control. My dad had his first at 29, died at 79 and not from heart. My sister at 52, never smoked or drank, massive heart attack. . My brother at 59 dead instantly. , my other brother at 56 open heart. Me so far good to go. I hope I was adopted and no one told me.

SWORDFISH

100% agree with you Dilli!!!

That is soooo not fair. :happy-very:

I am almost embarassed to say that I have the opposite problem--I simply cannot gain weight. I am just over 6' tall and weigh between 160 and 165 lbs. I can eat anything and everything and not worry about it. My ex hopes it catches up to me as I get older but I will be 50 next year and so far...

How is this good? No offense Dave but it would be good for a girl. I would hate it if I couldnt gain weight. That means you cant build muscle mass. Also means you can torture your inner body w/ bad food and not show any affects. You could be really skinny and really unhealthy inside and have no motivation to do anything about it because nothing happens anyway.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
279 pounds as of today....thats 21 pounds that I have lost.

One of the drivers on my center is a very good personal friend. About a year ago he started bugging me to go to the doctor, get a complete physical, prostate exam etc. I blew him off for awhile, so he called my wife and had her schedule the appointment.:biting: Of course, at that point I had no choice, so I complied.:whiteflag:

This buddy of mine happens to chew tobacco. So...in the same spirit of of friendship, accountability and concern for health that he so kindly expressed for me.....I have informed him (as his true friend, of course) that once I lose 40 pounds, he will be quitting tobacco!:devil3:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
279 pounds as of today....thats 21 pounds that I have lost.

One of the drivers on my center is a very good personal friend. About a year ago he started bugging me to go to the doctor, get a complete physical, prostate exam etc. I blew him off for awhile, so he called my wife and had her schedule the appointment.:biting: Of course, at that point I had no choice, so I complied.:whiteflag:

This buddy of mine happens to chew tobacco. So...in the same spirit of of friendship, accountability and concern for health that he so kindly expressed for me.....I have informed him (as his true friend, of course) that once I lose 40 pounds, he will be quitting tobacco!:devil3:

You didn't mentioned what his response was Sober. LOL

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You didn't mentioned what his response was Sober. LOL

He is still in denial, and unwilling to consider the idea of quitting.

I have to lose the weight first...but once I do, if he still refuses to quit I will get in touch with his girlfriend and arrange for certain..."favors" to be witheld from him until he becomes willing.:devil3:

He was concerned enough about my health to get my wife involved. All I am doing is following his example.:wink2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why 50? You're right. I need to but not because of someone else goal. I need to for me and right now I don't care. Right now I don't care about anything. :crying:
True, but it's easier to do it with a buddy, and besides dilli, we'll all be holding your hand from where we are.:happy2:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Smiley face or not, how is this any of your damn business? I think you should stick to your mulit-quoting, Brown Cafe "lite" answers--you know, the ones that are light on substance and don't require any thought process on the part of the reader.

It's ok Dave. Thank you.

Smiley face or not, how is this any of your damn business? I think you should stick to your mulit-quoting, Brown Cafe "lite" answers--you know, the ones that are light on substance and don't require any thought process on the part of the reader.
Lighten up a little Tiger, I don't think Stug was being intentionally rude, he just thinks everyone should be on a health kick and run for hours on end to get right back to where ya started.

I know I should loose weight too, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Good for YOU Sober...keep up the good work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Lighten up a little Tiger, I don't think Stug was being intentionally rude, he just thinks everyone should be on a health kick and run for hours on end to get right back to where ya started.

I know I should loose weight too, but it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Good for YOU Sober...keep up the good work.
I'm guessing that Steve has been misunderstood here. I thought he was referring to Dilli's tobacco habit, not saying that she needed to lose weight. If Upstate thought he was suggesting the latter, then I can understand his heated response.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
WHAT, is none of my damned business? Dilli smokes and wants to quit that habit. She posted this fact in the quit smoking thread some time back (http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/help-me-quit-smoking-236039/ ). She also stated here that she'd like to quit smoking, so I simply suggested that she join sober on his quest, (in reference to what sober said about getting his buddy to quit tobacco). Was there a misunderstanding? If there was, wouldn't it have been better stated without the slam on my posting style? Afterall, Dave, not everyone is the great linguistical genius/UPS'er that you are. Oh, I forgot to say OUCH!:raspberry:

555, I think that most people that smoke or are overweight and have been that way for some time, have either settled in to the fact that this is who they have become, or don't think they can change. Dilli has expressed a concern and willingness to change something in her life that she's not pleased with, which is the key to starting. Being the concerned little bro, if you will, I merely suggested that it would be good incentive for both her and sober at this juncture. Sobe loses the weight and dilli the cigs, it's a win/win for both.

As far as health kicks go? It would be nice to help people get healthier, but that would be a "Whole" other thread.:happy2:

Great job so far sober! You can definitely do this, it's who you are.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm guessing that Steve has been misunderstood here. I thought he was referring to Dilli's tobacco habit, not saying that she needed to lose weight. If Upstate thought he was suggesting the latter, then I can understand his heated response.
Stephen was refering to my smoking. I knew that. Dave may not have known that. It's ok.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
WHAT, is none of my damned business? Dilli smokes and wants to quit that habit. She posted this fact in the quit smoking thread some time back (http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/help-me-quit-smoking-236039/ ). She also stated here that she'd like to quit smoking, so I simply suggested that she join sober on his quest, (in reference to what sober said about getting his buddy to quit tobacco). Was there a misunderstanding? If there was, wouldn't it have been better stated without the slam on my posting style? Afterall, Dave, not everyone is the great linguistical genius/UPS'er that you are. Oh, I forgot to say OUCH!:raspberry:

555, I think that most people that smoke or are overweight and have been that way for some time, have either settled in to the fact that this is who they have become, or don't think they can change. Dilli has expressed a concern and willingness to change something in her life that she's not pleased with, which is the key to starting. Being the concerned little bro, if you will, I merely suggested that it would be good incentive for both her and sober at this juncture. Sobe loses the weight and dilli the cigs, it's a win/win for both.

As far as health kicks go? It would be nice to help people get healthier, but that would be a "Whole" other thread.:happy2:

Great job so far sober! You can definitely do this, it's who you are.
Stop this now please, before it gets out of control. I knew what you were refering to last night when you posted your comments. I chose not to reply to the second one because I was in no mood to. At this point in time I don't want to deal with it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dave, I left you a visitor message. Please just let it go. :whiteflag:

I asked Trp to not respond to this. He did so with good intentions as I'm sure Dave did. Trp was kidding about the health kick thing. Maybe he should have used a smilie. this is Sober's thread. Leave me out of it.