The Latest "Change/Take Away"

BigTex61

What is the policy on moving zip codes to different stations and making drivers go with their route? I thought the driver's that did not want to go could bump out the lowest senior employee. Anyone know if they changed this too?
That happened to me about 15 years ago. I was able to " bump" the lowest senior full timer off his route.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He does the same to us as every ceo of a major company, trust me I have friends who work for Fortune 500 companies who get :censored2: on every day sitting at their cubicle. That in no way justifies anything I'm just saying the problem isn't fedex specific the problem stems from money controlling politics and in turn slowly killing the middle class which was once a happy place to be

No, he doesn't. I'm not saying what you say isn't true, but the peculiar FedEx culture is one where you are expected to be a "peak performer" at all times while Fred reams you in the behind with 80 grit sandpaper (lately, he's moved up to 40 grit...ouch). FedEx consistently asks us to do more, while simultaneously cutting our pay and benefits. I'm going through my "Family And Medical Leave Act Job Aid", and it's a joke. This is really going to adversely affect people who have FMLA issues. The "aid" doesn't fully explain the implications of this takeaway (of course).

FedEx has a very specific culture that differs from mainstream corporate America. Therein lies the big difference. You must accept the takeaway, because you can do nothing about it, and FedEx presents it to you as if it's a fairness issue and that they are actually doing you a favor.

Union.

Whats in the Box

How does this new FMLA policy trump state laws, even higher federal laws? FMLA was created to subside fear of getting fired for taking care of your family. This new policy pulls out the rug of an employee.

fedex_rtd

Oh come on guys, take a look around you and see the logo on the side of the truck. Fred's lawyers simply found a legal way to help the bean counters keep the "share holders" happy.

remember those crappy cars that GM used to bolt together in the 70's??? That is FedEx today. The bean counters over ruled the engineers who designed them, the company had crap pay so the workers would "Work As Directed" WAD and do nothing else, it almost killed GM.

fedex_rtd

In our case it is simple greed, but at every station there is that one or two employees that almost every summer, find a reason to go out on FMLA, and since they figure FMLA into the vacation schedule it hoses over those that don't abuse the system....there is going to be a few really pissed off guys at our RT station now LOL

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
No, he doesn't. I'm not saying what you say isn't true, but the peculiar FedEx culture is one where you are expected to be a "peak performer" at all times while Fred reams you in the behind with 80 grit sandpaper (lately, he's moved up to 40 grit...ouch). FedEx consistently asks us to do more, while simultaneously cutting our pay and benefits. I'm going through my "Family And Medical Leave Act Job Aid", and it's a joke. This is really going to adversely affect people who have FMLA issues. The "aid" doesn't fully explain the implications of this takeaway (of course).

FedEx has a very specific culture that differs from mainstream corporate America. Therein lies the big difference. You must accept the takeaway, because you can do nothing about it, and FedEx presents it to you as if it's a fairness issue and that they are actually doing you a favor.

Union.

Weasel Smith-001.jpg

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Remember, this was all done for you. Read your Job Aid and it will explain everything. Gee, who uses more FMLA, and has more FMLA-type issues, a senior topped-out 50 year-old, or a 20 something making $17 per hour?

Older, higher paid employees have many more medical issues, elder care issues etc. than younger, lesser-paid individuals. The few who abuse FMLA leave are far outnumbered by those with legitimate needs for time off. This is just another way to accelerate the departure of older employees and to keep people working more of the time so Fred can make more profit off them. I'm sure that the incredible turnover also played into this. Ironically, policies like this turd will make FedEx even less attractive as an employer. The current generation will avoid Express like the Bubonic Plague.

Smart move.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Remember, this was all done for you. Read your Job Aid and it will explain everything. Gee, who uses more FMLA, and has more FMLA-type issues, a senior topped-out 50 year-old, or a 20 something making $17 per hour?

Older, higher paid employees have many more medical issues, elder care issues etc. than younger, lesser-paid individuals. The few who abuse FMLA leave are far outnumbered by those with legitimate needs for time off. This is just another way to accelerate the departure of older employees and to keep people working more of the time so Fred can make more profit off them. I'm sure that the incredible turnover also played into this. Ironically, policies like this turd will make FedEx even less attractive as an employer. The current generation will avoid Express like the Bubonic Plague.

Smart move.

How many potential employees take the time to read or even have access to the policy book of their potential employer?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Ironically, policies like this turd will make FedEx even less attractive as an employer. The current generation will avoid Express like the Bubonic Plague..
and yet it'll still mysteriously find itself on all those 'Best Places To Work' lists.

SmithBarney

What is the policy on moving zip codes to different stations and making drivers go with their route? I thought the driver's that did not want to go could bump out the lowest senior employee. Anyone know if they changed this too?
last time it happened here, they required the drivers to follow their routes, or otherwise be displaced. falls under the "operational needs" BS catch-all spineless maneuver

SmithBarney

How does this new FMLA policy trump state laws, even higher federal laws? FMLA was created to subside fear of getting fired for taking care of your family. This new policy pulls out the rug of an employee.

Unfortunately, it seems it still follows the law, you still have a job(same type of job) you just don't keep your route... The equivalent would be losing your corner cubicle and being moved to the janitors closet.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Unfortunately, it seems it still follows the law, you still have a job(same type of job) you just don't keep your route... The equivalent would be losing your corner cubicle and being moved to the janitors closet.

I would think FedEx legal made sure to dot all of their "i's" and cross all of their "t's" before approving the policy change.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

HAH, it's digital only available online(NOT even a PDF), probably thousands of pages, also can be changed at a whim and no one knows.

When my son was researching his current employer, we sat down together and went through all of the documentation that he had been given. We also went through their website page by page. At no time did either of us think of downloading and reading their policy book.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
How many potential employees take the time to read or even have access to the policy book of their potential employer?

No POTENTIAL employees have access to the policy book. Neither do current employees. There is no BOOK. It's all online, and trying to find policy is like going on a treasure hunt. Extremely difficult to find and when you do, it's purposefully vague to "leave themselves an out".

SmithBarney

Did the changes affect 50% or more of their route(s)?
Doesn't really matter at FDX, the ZIP a bordering area was moved to a new Station(Center) closer to a Ramp, basically the current drivers were given the options to follow the route or vacate the route, if they vacate the route current drivers at the original station had the option to "bid" and follow the routes(thus vacating a route for the original driver)

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
When my son was researching his current employer, we sat down together and went through all of the documentation that he had been given. We also went through their website page by page. At no time did either of us think of downloading and reading their policy book.

FedEx would never allow a potential employee into the FedEx intranet.