The Lets Get Rid Of Our Cops Movement

It will be fine

When a person with mental issues or an addict on PCP is threatening people you don't send in social workers. The social work should've been done before things escalated. Just another reason police work is dangerous but necessary.
I wasn’t asking about violent threats. This is where you must be confused. Should we devote more resources to preventing those issues or do we spend more on cops that are ill equipped to deal with them? It’s reasonable to say police should focus on violence and not get called for everything else. We should be limiting the scope of issues police are asked to respond to.

Box Ox

I wasn’t asking about violent threats. This is where you must be confused. Should we devote more resources to preventing those issues or do we spend more on cops that are ill equipped to deal with them? It’s reasonable to say police should focus on violence and not get called for everything else. We should be limiting the scope of issues police are asked to respond to.

Anything specific that police shouldn't be responding to?

vantexan

Do you think the best solution for mental heath and addiction is the police force?
To avoid "confusion" be clear about what you are asking. And so I'm clear, when are the police ever called in except in possible to outright dangerous situations? Police aren't sent to have chats with someone about how they're feeling, are they taking their meds, etc. As I said, social work should be done before people get out of control, not during an escalated, dangerous situation.

Box Ox

As I said, social work should be done before people get out of control, not during an escalated, dangerous situation.

Maybe if universal healthcare ever becomes a thing in the US people of few means can get the mental care they need before it's too late.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
This is the delusion of the entitled sheltered liberal on display. You assume most addicts want to get clean. They don't.

It will be fine

To avoid "confusion" be clear about what you are asking. And so I'm clear, when are the police ever called in except in possible to outright dangerous situations? Police aren't sent to have chats with someone about how they're feeling, are they taking their meds, etc. As I said, social work should be done before people get out of control, not during an escalated, dangerous situation.
You think police only respond to outright dangerous situations? That’s obviously incorrect. George Floyd tried to pay for a snickers with a counterfeit bill. That wasn’t an outright dangerous situation. Traffic stops aren’t outright dangerous situations. You apparently believe the myth police have created for themselves that they are warriors and it’s kill or be killed on the streets. That’s what the issue is.
Police have been tasked with dealing homeless mentally ill people. They are tasked with dealing with junkies that nod off in abandoned buildings. We can develop better responses to these issues than arresting people. If you agree social work needs better funding it needs to come from somewhere. Stop tasking police with problems they shouldn’t be handling and reduce their budgets accordingly.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
You think police only respond to outright dangerous situations? That’s obviously incorrect. George Floyd tried to pay for a snickers with a counterfeit bill. That wasn’t an outright dangerous situation. Traffic stops aren’t outright dangerous situations. You apparently believe the myth police have created for themselves that they are warriors and it’s kill or be killed on the streets. That’s what the issue is.
Police have been tasked with dealing homeless mentally ill people. They are tasked with dealing with junkies that nod off in abandoned buildings. We can develop better responses to these issues than arresting people. If you agree social work needs better funding it needs to come from somewhere. Stop tasking police with problems they shouldn’t be handling and reduce their budgets accordingly.
So robbery is OK?

This was a nothing event until Mr Floyd escalated it and a killer took advantage of the situation.

floridays

If violence breaks out at one of these interventions, is the social worker allowed to carry for their personal protection?

What powers would these social workers have to insure their safety or detainment powers if they are assaulted, or an innocent bystander is harmed?

Most traffic stops do not start out as violent threats, generally the cop is only foreseeing issuing a ticket, whether a summons or warning.

Do you understand the illustration?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If violence breaks out at one of these interventions, is the social worker allowed to carry for their personal protection?

What powers would these social workers have to insure their safety or detainment powers if they are assaulted, or an innocent bystander is harmed?

Most traffic stops do not start out as violent threats, generally the cop is only foreseeing issuing a ticket, whether a summons or warning.

Do you understand the illustration?
Those situations without violence are the ones where the police call in a social worker to handle and follow up on the situation.

floridays

Those situations without violence are the ones where the police call in a social worker to handle and follow up on the situation.
Let me see if I understand what you are saying.
Do the police make the initial contact?
If there is no violation of law they proceed to call a social worker?

vantexan

But in the view of some the police are completely out of the picture. They envision a special social worker force that would respond to all nonlethal situations. If the social workers refuse to go into certain neighborhoods out of fear for their safety aren't we back to square one?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You think police only respond to outright dangerous situations? That’s obviously incorrect. George Floyd tried to pay for a snickers with a counterfeit bill. That wasn’t an outright dangerous situation. Traffic stops aren’t outright dangerous situations.
George Floyd was driving a car while highly intoxicated. Who do you think should handle that situation?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Let me see if I understand what you are saying.
Do the police make the initial contact?
If there is no violation of law they proceed to call a social worker?
If the Police, in their judgment based on training, feel this is a non-violent situation, a social worker is deployed.
Social workers get more dispute resolutions in court than police do.
Children get taken away, spouse are required to stay away, etc.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
If the Police, in their judgment based on training, feel this is a non-violent situation, a social worker is deployed.
Social workers get more dispute resolutions in court than police do.
Children get taken away, spouse are required to stay away, etc.
If the police are not called to the scene in the first place, are they remotely monitoring the situation?

If the police, in their judgment based on training, find it necessary to use lethal force to apprehend and detain a criminal, do you stand behind them as well?

Box Ox

The mentally ill often don't seek help. They think they're fine. It will be fine is their mantra.

They often don't. Sometimes they do. That's enough for me. There are also tons of mentally ill whose friends and family would point them toward proper care if they knew it wouldn't mean saddling them with medical debt.

vantexan

And you mischaracterized George Floyd's situation to try to win an argument. He was acting erratically, was under the influence, exactly the kind of situation the police should be called in about. He could have been a danger to others, especially if he got behind the wheel. What the officer did was wrong obviously, Floyd shouldn't have died. But you make it sound like it's a common situation. Not so and in your description of cops it sounds like you don't take into account the lives they save also. If you want a special unarmed force that reaches out to people in need, is proactive, great. But let's stop smearing cops. The rioting and looting that has happened are exactly why we need police. If only we didn't have spineless politicians that prevented them from upholding the law and probably would have prevented a number of injuries, deaths, and businesses destroyed if they had been allowed to do their job.