The "new" no necklace and earrings rule?

Sammie

You still have milkmen?
Or, are you just as old as I am to remember them?
PAX

So you're accusing me of being an Old Fogie!!??!!:sneaky2:

(Which I most certainly AM !!!:w00t:)

Yes, we still have Milkmen around here I'll have you know. In fact, their trucks look almost as spiffy as ours do! =

http://royalcrestdairy.com/

They give us Rubbermaid coolers to leave on the porch for them and they've become little mini mart on wheels too, selling cheese, eggs, juice, coffee, bread, etc. (their pails of cookie dough are GOOD...) which is handy for the REALLY old folks who don't get out much... :wheelchai

Big Babooba

Yes, we still have Milkmen around here I'll have you know. In fact, their trucks look almost as spiffy as ours do! =

They give us Rubbermaid coolers to leave on the porch for them and they've become little mini mart on wheels too, selling cheese, eggs, juice, coffee, bread, etc. (their pails of cookie dough are GOOD...) which is handy for the REALLY old folks who don't get out much... :wheelchai
Do they sell cigs and lottery tickets too?

Griff

Not too sure if I understand this one either. UPS mgmt wear the United Way armband, would they allow us to wear this one?

This is the very reason I stopped giving to United Way. This United Way ordeal has become yet another numbers fiasco for UPS, it goes against everything donating to a charity is supposed to be about. Not to mention the United Way is a bunch of crooks, give to a real charity that isn't corrupted by corporate behemoths.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
You still have milkmen?
Or, are you just as old as I am to remember them?
PAX
I remember the milkman, he was the one with one shoulder 8-12" lower than the other. :sad:
Hey mechanics, anyone out there know if the dairy trucks were really set up so you worked the gas and clutch simultaneously with your right foot? It's a story I heard once and can't visualize or verify.

satellitedriver

An accusation, never.
Only a hope that I was not the only one out there.
I remember our milkman so well. Dad left at 5am to go to work and my mother was a rotating shift nurse. He would come through the garage door and place the bottles in the fridge and collect the empties, quietly. Because he didn't want to wake my mother, if she had been working the evening shift. Several times, he let me ride in the truck as he delivered down my street.
Simple memories, tied into simple values.
The fifties were nifty.
PAX

satellitedriver

I remember the milkman, he was the one with one shoulder 8-12" lower than the other. :sad:
Hey mechanics, anyone out there know if the dairy trucks were really set up so you worked the gas and clutch simultaneously with your right foot? It's a story I heard once and can't visualize or verify.
My father drove a milk wagon in the 1920's.(horse drawn)
There was no drivers seat, you had to stand while driving the team of horses. The reasoning behind it was simple. The boss told him that the deliveries were very close together and the bench would only get in the way.
I can only hope I.E. doesn't read this post.
It may give them another idea on a way to improve production numbers.
PAX

Dump and Run

Well I thought since the UPS driver represented the company's image in public eye he should look somewhat professional. I think that is what sets us above most of the other courier companies. I mean look at DHL, those guys look like a bag of a**. Dirty vans, their uniform is a t-shirt and a pair of jeans, one DHL driver I saw had an afropick in his hair. The one thing that was beat into my head when I was in the military was to take pride in your uniform appearance so I really can't help but to pay attention to those sort of things.

I'm with you bluetobrown. Our professional image needs to be upheld.

Sammie

An accusation, never.
Only a hope that I was not the only one out there.
I remember our milkman so well. Dad left at 5am to go to work and my mother was a rotating shift nurse. He would come through the garage door and place the bottles in the fridge and collect the empties, quietly. Because he didn't want to wake my mother, if she had been working the evening shift. Several times, he let me ride in the truck as he delivered down my street.
Simple memories, tied into simple values.
The fifties were nifty.
PAX

:):):)

Yes they were.

And sad to say, many folks are too young to remember -

Candy cigarettes
Plastic Army Men
Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside.
Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
Blackjack, Clove and Teaberry chewing gum
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers and an inch of cream on top of the milk
Telephone numbers with a word prefix...(Raymond 4-601).
Party lines
45 RPM records
Metal ice cubes trays with levers
Cork pop guns (God forbid!!):sad:
Marlin Perkins
Drive in Movies
Car Hops (jobs my girlfriends had... and they wore roller skates while
working at the old A & W's) :lol:
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
Lincoln Logs
15 cent McDonald hamburgers
5 cent packs of baseball cards
25 cent a gallon gasoline

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
This is the very reason I stopped giving to United Way. This United Way ordeal has become yet another numbers fiasco for UPS, it goes against everything donating to a charity is supposed to be about. Not to mention the United Way is a bunch of crooks, give to a real charity that isn't corrupted by corporate behemoths.

Right there with you Griff. I quit doing the United Way because of the way that mgmt kept trying to shove it down my throat every year just so they could hit their numbers. We still give at my wifes work and designate it to various local affiliates and do other charities but UPS will never see my money again. Only thing I hate about not going through UPS with it is they do match funds.

satellitedriver

Yes they were.

Candy cigarettes
Plastic Army Men
Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers and an inch of cream on top of the milk
Party lines
45 RPM records
Marlin Perkins
Drive in Movies
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
Lincoln Logs

I could add many things to the list, but I will only add these,
Butch wax
Brylcreme
Old spice after shave
Slow dancing
PAX

moreluck

golden ticket member
Does anyone remember Bun candy bars? They came in 2 flavors....maple or vanilla. They were round patties and covered in nuts.
Loved those things !!

Sammie

Coke cans with the peel off tabs.
Sugar Daddys (do they still have those?)

Yep. And when Sugar Daddy got married, he had Sugar Babies!!!:laugh:

And I don't remember the Bun candy bars, More, maybe different parts of the country
specialized in different products.

Wish I could find some Wax Lips, though. They should be worn at business meetings to reduce stress...

I love horehound drops too but there's only one place in town that sells them....

moreluck

golden ticket member
On the Old Time Cancy site, Under Candy List with pix, on page #1 at the bottom is a picture of the Bun Candy Bars.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
How about the jewl tea guy?. Used to come around in a truck and for buying stuff you got free pottery from Hall china.........Hot stuff, autumn leaf, dont really care for the design although for some reason I have a ton of it.................................must be called ebay.................

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...

Yes they were.

Candy cigarettes
Plastic Army Men
Party lines
45 RPM records
Marlin Perkins
Drive in Movies
Tinkertoys
Erector Sets
Lincoln Logs

Did anyone use to collect the milk caps? They were made of cork and had neat designs on them. I bet someone would have paid a pretty price for the collection I had!