The Official New Hire Bashing Thread

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
It's almost that time of year where UPS is so desperate for bodies they lower their standards from "If you can read, you're hired." to "Blind, deaf, dumb? :censored3: it, you're hired." And thus the doors open to a fresh new hell every day till New Years and we can't do a thing about it but re-sort trucks, hand out crayons, and try not to hate the color blue.
Until now....bash away my friends.

Annnnnd before you say anything about how this topic could be covered in the Official Preload/Peak Bashing forums, I feel like the new hires deserve their own thread simply because they are the innocent, bright eyed, hopeful, very dumb and very naive children of UPS and you know what they say, "kids say the darnedest things."

This happened today, which is what inspired this thread, and it's worth the read.

On my boxline, I had one hypeactive little turd grabbing :censored3: out of the other loaders bins for almost an hour before I caught him and the 20+ misloads, tells me it's cause hes colorblind.

Asked another sup to trade him with someone from their sort table, he brings me a 50ish year old woman barely clinging to life in her 'new hire' vest. "She's good." He says while looking at me DEAD in the eyes.
Grandma works for 10 minutes before I trade her back cause I was afraid she was gonna stroke out and haunt my boxline for all of eternity.

Stuck babysitting colorblind for a while before I felt confident that he was cured enough to check on the table real quick, turn my back for ONE SECOND and he had placed not one, not two, but five misloads including a package going to a different state and I just still can't explain how that happened.

End of the sort, i'm wrapping up my area when I hear a driver from the boxline behind me raising hell about something. Normally, I mind my business but it's been one of those days and I was curious, so I walked over and whoever loaded his truck did it backwards. Literally. 1000's in the 7000's, 2000's in the 8000's, numerical order reversed as well, 1999-1000-5999-5000, you get the idea. All 3 trucks a new hire loaded were the same, except at some point in the last one they must have realized their mistake and tried to fix it before being sent home so it was just a total mess.
Both of us stayed to help that driver reorganize his load and after he left, we discovered Grandma on the sort table, cleaning out trash in the bins waiting to be sent home so she could get ready for her second job.

Peak is either going to be amazing, or the worst year ever.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Personally I feel the blue vests are cursed.
The people that refuse to wear them on their first week are infinitely better than those who keep them on.

Can we have a new hire training supervisor bashing thread?

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
Personally I feel the blue vests are cursed.
The people that refuse to wear them on their first week are infinitely better than those who keep them on.

For a while the vests we gave out were held together by velcro, I think 4 seperate pieces, and I literally thought it was a joke when they handed me a few to give out. I'd put it together and by the time the new hire could get one arm in it had already fell apart hah *Ahem* The story behind my username btw....but we don't use them anymore. Our hub must have gotten a budget increase, we can afford real vests now.

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
For a while the vests we gave out were held together by velcro, I think 4 seperate pieces, and I literally thought it was a joke when they handed me a few to give out. I'd put it together and by the time the new hire could get one arm in it had already fell apart hah *Ahem* The story behind my username btw....but we don't use them anymore. Our hub must have gotten a budget increase, we can afford real vests now.
Theyre tearable so when they get caught in something the person wearing it doesnt go with it

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup

You know, I bet us sups complain about other sups more than you guys do. ESPECIALLY upper management and newbies who either don't try, or try too hard. Got a PT sup i'm training now I literally want to strangle. She's actually the first, and only person, I have ever yelled at and I think she may very well be the first person I ever fire.

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
Theyre tearable so when they get caught in something the person wearing it doesnt go with it

Well, yeah, I know that, its just that they are TOO tearable. I've seen it happen a couple of times where it was torn off accidentally by either the loader wearing it or a coworker and one of them will trip over it or slip on it, or it'll get stuck someone in the belt, it was a safety hazard that i'm sure OSHA didn't think all the way through at the time.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You know, I bet us sups complain about other sups more than you guys do. ESPECIALLY upper management and newbies who either don't try, or try too hard. Got a PT sup i'm training now I literally want to strangle. She's actually the first, and only person, I have ever yelled at and I think she may very well be the first person I ever fire.

I doubt you’re firing anybody Sparky

Can you bring it down just a notch

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Put newer guy on pickoff local sort now we have two sorters and there are more missorts than ever and the belts off even more smh
Maybe if they hired more people they could train the new hire loaders better. Instead at my hub they got this one new twig boy on three trucks with usually 700 or more packages. I think if they wanted better load quality in general two trucks per person. Specially when they give out three trucks to one guy and they average 1000+ every day. Note he is slow as hell, he walks back from the slide to the truck and usually carries two packages at a time, whether they are smalls or not.

Last edited:

Boxslinger11

Next gen teamster
Maybe if they hired more people they could train the new hire loaders better. Instead at my hub they got this one new kid one three trucks with usually 700 or more packages. I think if they wanted better load quality in general two trucks per person. Specially when they give out three trucks to one guy and they average 1000+ every day.
Crazy thought here maybe pay the union members the training pay to properly teach the new guy how to do it

VelcroVestsAreTearable

Worlds Okayest Sup
Crazy thought here maybe pay the union members the training pay to properly teach the new guy how to do it

I think that would be the BEST way to train someone. Put the new hire with the most experienced person in that particular work area for a week, the newbie get's properly trained, the worker can take it a little bit easier and get something added to their check that week. The turn over rate would probably drop dramatically, saving UPS money in the long run so I imagine corporate wouldn't care about giving training bonuses? Well...but then again....it is corporate...

It would help if new hires were properly trained.

Ours have "class" now, which I suppose is SWM modules and 8s and 5s now that the union (thankfully) no longer is responsible. Unfortunately these people do nothing for numbers so they crank the belt and overload everyone else doing 4-6 cars with sups working.