The Results are In

Ricochet1a

As to purchase cost....

If a W700 goes through an average of 30 gallons of fuel a week, a Sprinter will go through only about 20 - if that.

That is about a 500 gallon per year savings, a 7500 gallon savings over the typical life of one of these vehicles (about 15 years). With diesel running around $4/gallon, that is a savings of $30,000 in fuel expense over the anticipated life of the vehicle.

Whatever "premium" Express is paying for a Sprinter, they are getting it back and then some over the lifetime of the vehicle (all assuming they can get the route volume into it - which they absolutely believe). It wouldn't make sense to purchase a smaller vehicle only to end up needing to run 2 Sprinters in the place of 1 W700 - if they weren't absolutely confident that there was going to be a reduction in volume.

Conversely, the Ground contractors are purchasing larger and larger vehicles for use on their operation. Many are operating 900 cubic foot vehicles and there are contractors operating "straight trucks" in the 24,000 lb gross category on their routes.

It is all very telling and very deliberate.

Ricochet1a

They don't have to anticipate, the volumes have been dropping and there isn't a crystal ball showing when they will rise.

Business planning has a drop of volumes anticipated for the future - and when the delivery of non-overnight is shifted over to Ground in the future, there will be an even larger decrease in the need for large vehicles (they will need some W700s for pickup routes in industrial areas).

snackdad

I personally think the Sprinter are lousy vehicles. They are not ergonomic, are not as nimble as a w700 and I can get it on three wheels easy going uphill around sharp corners. Not as comfortable to sleep in also, no room to stretch the big hammock.

bbsam

Staff member
First generation Sprinters had crappy reliability. I'm renting one now long term just to see if they are better. 9 monts and 45000 miles. Not bad so far. Also they rust quickly.

STFXG

I've got a first gen sprinter with over 500k miles on original motor and first trans went out at 350k miles. Only as reliable as the maintenance and how hard the gas pedal is being smashed... Oil changes every 10k and trans service every 40k. Brakes go out around 80k.

My 2009 has constant problems. And COOKS through tires.

Just my experience though...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
The broad description of Fedex optimizing Ground at the expense of Express has remained and is happening.

Agreed, though a comparison is in order. Remember when we were all but promised that Express packages with Express ASTRA labels picked up by Express couriers were going to be picked up from the destination ramps, still in ULD's, and trucked by Ground trailers to Ground facilities to be delivered by Ground drivers? I could hear the black helicopters at that point.

The reality at this point is that Express might terminate Express Saver service and Ground is going to be marketed like crazy.

I see this as someone promising heavy torrential rains for an entire week and somehow claiming vindication for the 15 minute afternoon shower on Friday.

Ricochet1a

Agreed, though a comparison is in order. Remember when we were all but promised that Express packages with Express ASTRA labels picked up by Express couriers were going to be picked up from the destination ramps, still in ULD's, and trucked by Ground trailers to Ground facilities to be delivered by Ground drivers?

Give it another 24-36 months. Your masters were just too damn shrewd to do it all at once.

So all the current overnight and 2nd day volume is going to be stuffed into Sprinters instead of W700s?

Keep up with the obfuscation, you're great at it.

59 Dano

The stories have been extremely consistent. So have your attempts to tell us that the Titanic is "safe and unsinkable". Double BS with whipped cream, a cherry, and purple and orange sprinkles.

Interesting. I haven't seen one of your "Express planes are flying Ground freight and I can prove it" posts in a while. Ditto for your other claims about Express deferred packages being sorted at Express facilities and delivered by Ground drivers.

#Consistency!

59 Dano

Give it another 24-36 months. Your masters were just too damn shrewd to do it all at once.

So all the current overnight and 2nd day volume is going to be stuffed into Sprinters instead of W700s?

Keep up with the obfuscation, you're great at it.

Hmm. Around 3 years ago, you were telling us that they were going to pull the trigger within 18 to 24 months.

Keep changing your story, you're great at it.

SmithBarney

I haven't seen this posted anywhere else, so I'll put it up here - you may already know it.

The "performance pay" for the last half of the prior FY will be 1% of gross wages for wage employees. I'm 98.5% certain - at least my source is.

Yes we had this announcement last week.

code 019 at ur moms

I cant believe the bickering earlier in this thread between ground and express people, isn't it crystal clear that artificially dividing up the system into an express and a ground division is meant to split the workforce and prevent people from seeing what's going on? way to totally buy into that split and make management's job much easier. express may be on the chopping block now but what happens when ground's margins start slipping or ground and express margins coincide? fedex has zero loyalties, only interests, and taking snipes at people for 'carrying envelopes' or facetiously thanking ground employees for express benefits is dumb.

vantexan

I cant believe the bickering earlier in this thread between ground and express people, isn't it crystal clear that artificially dividing up the system into an express and a ground division is meant to split the workforce and prevent people from seeing what's going on? way to totally buy into that split and make management's job much easier. express may be on the chopping block now but what happens when ground's margins start slipping or ground and express margins coincide? fedex has zero loyalties, only interests, and taking snipes at people for 'carrying envelopes' or facetiously thanking ground employees for express benefits is dumb.

Oh lighten up it was in jest...