The Silent Downfall of United Parcel Service (1907-20??)

Soloman6192

I know. We've got a ways to go before we really need to be worried. But, at the very least we are experiencing a permanent decrease in volume in the short term, which MUST mean a layoff is coming for those unfortunate few at the bottom. You can't have a permanent reduction in volume AND keep the same number of people working. UPS don't fly like that.
I'm not sure where you are seeing a decrease in our Volume. Since the break up of FedEx and Amazon we've increased our air volume by 30+% let alone now the ground volume we've picked up. Peak has started and this will be one of the worst ones yet that I've seen in 28 years !!!!! You younger people should pay more attention to what's coming down the road with these 22.4 jobs and what's going to happen when Amazon goes 100% on their own !!!! Start giving and paying more attention to our Union and who's running the show . It's your future so be ready

Superteeth2478

If only people weren't lazy and would actually shop around and price match so they can realize just how overrated Amazon is.
You know, the interesting thing is that Amazon has, apparently in the past year or so, been beginning to offer competitive pricing. A lot of things are priced at parity with, say, Walmart. It certainly never used to be the case but I've begun to notice it.

Superteeth2478

and they will have a war chest to fight off the U.S. govt. anti trust lawsuits.
I'm glad someone realized that Amazon would face anti-trust lawsuits if it were ever to threaten to put FedEx and UPS out of business. But then, perhaps the war chest will be enough for it not to matter.

watdaflock?

Example: Walmart has a store set up on Amazon.

No they don't, but (third party) commerce re-sellers do.
You order on Amazon.
The commerce re-seller has a deal with Walmart, where their price is less than yours.
Commerce re-sellers send you your Amazon order from Walmart.

It’s called “retail arbitrage,” and it’s more common than people think.

Hope this helps.

Box Ox

UPS one of VERY few stocks to pay a dividend every quarter. What do you think the index fund is invested in?

It's all about balancing both risk and returns for me. Dumping money into UPS stock to make money with money I probably don't need anyway is fine. But I wouldn't bet my supplemental retirement funds on it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is Amazon retail even showing a profit yet?

Last I looked into it their web services and cloud computing was the only thing they're doing that makes money.

I think Amazon knows data in general is going to be the most profitable sector in the future, and everything they're doing is a means to an end to control that data.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
To those who are seeing an increase in volume, how close is the nearest fulfillment center to your hub?

The fulfillment center in our area is actually four blocks away. The white vans speed past our hub so fast that there are now motorcycle cops who sit behind some bushes able to bust at least one every morning for speeding or bust them for having parcels on the dash.

Yet our volume is up and our air is late seemingly everyday because of this extra Amazon volume. The guy that does the route by our building says he always has a ton of NDA for them that he simply can't deliver on time because they have too many vans going in and out of the place in the morning. So he sheets it up closed and drops it off later. He also picks up a ton of NDA from them, seems to be a bunch of their own stuff with UPS next day air saver labels slapped over the original Amazon delivery labels.

I also wonder why we continue to help this company that clearly looks to compete with us in the coming years. I just hope the higher ups have some kind of plan. Seems they do, according to Tears in Rain but from what he mentioned it sounds like a desperation act, which doesn't give me much comfort.

Overpaid Union Thug

The fulfillment center in our area is actually four blocks away. The white vans speed past our hub so fast that there are now motorcycle cops who sit behind some bushes able to bust at least one every morning for speeding or bust them for having parcels on the dash.

Yet our volume is up and our air is late seemingly everyday because of this extra Amazon volume. The guy that does the route by our building says he always has a ton of NDA for them that he simply can't deliver on time because they have too many vans going in and out of the place in the morning. So he sheets it up closed and drops it off later. He also picks up a ton of NDA from them, seems to be a bunch of their own stuff with UPS next day air saver labels slapped over the original Amazon delivery labels.

I also wonder why we continue to help this company that clearly looks to compete with us in the coming years. I just hope the higher ups have some kind of plan. Seems they do, according to Tears in Rain but from what he mentioned it sounds like a desperation act, which doesn't give me much comfort.

The “plan” is the same as always.

1) Make money for our stock holders
2) Be reactive, not proactive
3) Focus on compliance metrics
4) Ignore all competition
5) Forget when peak starts