The Silent Downfall of United Parcel Service (1907-20??)

Whither

Scofflaw
Not going to happen work safe

In a heroic attempt to save our jobs the union will recognize production standards in the next contract. They will call it The Contract to End All Contracts. We will have to scratch 5 consecutive days per week while running trace at least 98 percent. Drivers who do not meet this fair, reasonable standard will be paid according to their performance.

Phenom5

I know. We've got a ways to go before we really need to be worried. But, at the very least we are experiencing a permanent decrease in volume in the short term, which MUST mean a layoff is coming for those unfortunate few at the bottom. You can't have a permanent reduction in volume AND keep the same number of people working. UPS don't fly like that.
I've been heavy for the last 3 weeks? Hitting DOT hrs every week. I'm not seeing the decrease.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We didn't think they'd be able to compete unless they had at least one distribution center for everyone one of our hubs. But now they are already delivering much of their own stuff (all of it except irregs in some areas) and they haven't matched us building for building yet.

If you buy a pair of shoes from an Amazon seller and there are multiple sellers with that same item warehoused throughout the country, Amazon will ship you the one that makes the most sense logistically and replace the borrowed item at their leisure. I don't see how that easily turns into Amazon picking up 3000 packages from a customer, sorting them and then shipping them to numerous destinations throughout the country.

And people saying FedEx is no longer shipping Amazon is complete BS. We pick up at numerous 3rd party Amazon warehouses. These handle nothing but furniture, small appliances and mattresses. Some days my building brings in 8 ZZZ trailers full of mattresses from one warehouse and FedEx is still taking the same number of trailers they were before. If UPS and FedEx stopped delivering those packages Amazon would be in serious trouble with some of their vendors.

I think our higher ups think the pie is growing so quickly they can take the $$ from Amazon now and not hurt their business down the road.

Phenom5

This guy is going off the volume he is seeing in his area, and extrapolating from that to predict our inevitable doom. He needs to listen to some Wilson Phillips.

I deliver in a busy metro area where I see multiple Amazon Vans in my area more than FedEx drivers. All surrounding drivers and myself have all agree the volume is getting heavy. Businesses and Resis.

Overpaid Union Thug

If you buy a pair of shoes from an Amazon seller and there are multiple sellers with that same item warehoused throughout the country, Amazon will ship you the one that makes the most sense logistically and replace the borrowed item at their leisure. I don't see how that easily turns into Amazon picking up 3000 packages from a customer, sorting them and then shipping them to numerous destinations throughout the country.

That’s not a typical Amazon transaction so isn’t really relevant to the discussion.

And people saying FedEx is no longer shipping Amazon is complete BS. We pick up at numerous 3rd party Amazon warehouses. These handle nothing but furniture, small appliances and mattresses. Some days my building brings in 8 ZZZ trailers full of mattresses from one warehouse and FedEx is still taking the same number of trailers they were before. If UPS and FedEx stopped delivering those packages Amazon would be in serious trouble with some of their vendors.

I think our higher ups think the pie is growing so quickly they can take the $$ from Amazon now and not hurt their business down the road.

I’ve mentioned numerous times that we might end up delivering Amazons’s irregs once the normal packages dry up. Well, you have just just provided a preview of that.

KoennenTiger

Sure, but do you pickup and deliver international for 8 hours a day? I assume not. I spoke to an Amazon driver who had a 10hr dispatch with 110+ deliveries.. They are gearing up to put in the work needed to build their network. And more power to them if they can find thousands of people who are happy to do the job for $17/hr instead of $40.

110 stops? And it takes those clowns 10+ hours?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I know. We've got a ways to go before we really need to be worried. But, at the very least we are experiencing a permanent decrease in volume in the short term, which MUST mean a layoff is coming for those unfortunate few at the bottom. You can't have a permanent reduction in volume AND keep the same number of people working. UPS don't fly like that.
Volume is decreasing? Where the hell have you been. We have been hitting early peak numbers in the summer this year. We ran out of vehicles and drivers!

FromOffTheStreets

How can we be making any money off of them?
Somebody is losing $ with Amazon shipping.

They charge what $13/mo. For free 2 day shipping. That might cover 3 or 4 packages per prime member per month for UPS or USPS to deliver it. For Every member ordering more than that Amazon must eat the shipping rate?

Amazon's only option is to deliver themselves & hope they can get shipping down around $1 per item. That might happen in heavy residential neighborhoods but not anywhere else.