The Six day workweek

charm299

So management is assigning routes on Saturdays? Yeah that would not fly here. We have RPCDs and TCDs working Saturdays and are essentially on a combined seniority list (like any other day) with no bid routes. We select routes from the top down. Yeah it sucks for the lower guys because it often takes a while for so many people to pick. I don’t see why that will be any different once 22.4s are hired. If they are short handed and an RPCD comes in then they should get first pick.
Yeah but they won’t let tcds bump tcds. We have a weak local. They not doing anything about it.Only fulltimers and 22.4 should be used on Saturday ground to start with.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So management is assigning routes on Saturdays? Yeah that would not fly here. We have RPCDs and TCDs working Saturdays and are essentially on a combined seniority list (like any other day) with no bid routes. We select routes from the top down. Yeah it sucks for the lower guys because it often takes a while for so many people to pick. I don’t see why that will be any different once 22.4s are hired. If they are short handed and an RPCD comes in then they should get first pick.
I’ve been running my route of choice since I got back from Japan in March, easiest day of the week.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yeah but they won’t let tcds bump tcds. We have a weak local. They not doing anything about it.Only fulltimers and 22.4 should be used on Saturday ground to start with.
That is definitely grievance worthy. But here TCDs are only worked if there’s not enough volunteers. The contract permits it.

oldupsman

Ditch her now
Yeah might be best to do that now as opposed to coming home early in 3 months and finding her in bed with the Amazon guy, all the while screaming about how I never have time for her anymore 😏
Seriously, Poop is right. If you have intentions of staying with UPS and she's bitching
already, end it now. It will just continue to be a problem. Takes a special woman to be
married to a UPS driver. She's gotta be on board.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For those of you being affected by the forced 6 day workweek for the last 2 months. How are you dealing with it? When is enough..enough? Feel free to vent about it, kind of curious how everyones coping with the 60 hour weeks in the heat of summer and having zero time with family and friends.
Who works 6 days?

Undertow

They have to ask the M thru friend crew here to volunteer. Sometimes they get enough to bite and other times they don't. There's the obvious pros and cons and there's some subtle benefits learned, but once the mask mandate really became enforced inside a building with poor ventilation and already such bad humidity that the condensation on the floor causes the electric bulk carts to just spin the wheels, the motivation to pitch in seems to have dropped.

I've gone a 6th punch when I've secured a guarantee that I'll be put on an area I know inside and out, but that's the only way I'll even entertain the idea. There's just so much more BS to put up with between the bad loads and ORION just literally failing at every turn just on my regular run that I just don't have the patience anymore to deal with a worse mess on a Saturday driving a vehicle that I don't trust packed by a loader I can't trust following an ORION trace I know I can't trust. 20 years ago? Maybe. These days? Not so much.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Not worth it to come in Saturday and deal with the bs. Bad loads, orion failures, trucks held together by bandaid and the fact that you can't get ahold of anyone in the office. Luckily for us it has been voluntary. Feel bad foe those tues-sat guys but hey seniority has it perks right?

charm299

Southern. And National actually.
Show me in the southern supplement where it says that. it says they can force from bottom up but they are talking about full timers. In the southern supplement it says that tcds are not to be used to supplement the work force but only as a temporary replacement.

Overpaid Union Thug

Show me in the southern supplement where it says that. it says they can force from bottom up but they are talking about full timers. In the southern supplement it says that tcds are not to be used to supplement the work force but only as a temporary replacement.
I don’t have the Southern on my phone but it’s in line with this.

6AF130D2-AC66-4AFF-8433-5BE47D58DF7F.jpeg

charm299

That’s says additional staffing. Meaning they have set number of routes the run on Saturday in which full timers or 22.4 drivers are suppose to run. Any more routes over that number they can force from bottom up. Our building has around 14 routes that they run on Saturday and hardly any full timers are on them. Also, it’s not a 6th punch they can force but a schedule change from m-friend to a t-s.

Overpaid Union Thug

That’s says additional staffing. Meaning they have set number of routes the run on Saturday in which full timers or 22.4 drivers are suppose to run. Any more routes over that number they can force from bottom up. Our building has around 14 routes that they run on Saturday and hardly any full timers are on them. Also, it’s not a 6th punch they can force but a schedule change from m-friend to a t-s.
The language is clear. It’s essentially extra work and says TCDs can be used after the work is offered top down first. The 22.4 language in the southern is silent on additional staffing so the National prevails. If TCDs are used after offering the work to full timers first (or they don’t show up or are scheduled off) then that isn’t supplementing the full timers. Using TCDs to avoid hiring more full timers would be supplementing.

And there aren’t any bid routes on Saturdays so seniority should prevail when choosing routes.

charm299

The language is clear. It’s essentially extra work and says TCDs can be used after the work is offered top down first. The 22.4 language in the southern is silent on additional staffing so the National prevails. If TCDs are used after offering the work to full timers first (or they don’t show up or are scheduled off) then that isn’t supplementing the full timers. Using TCDs to avoid hiring more full timers would be supplementing.

And there aren’t any bid routes on Saturdays so seniority should prevail when choosing routes.
Using TCDs to avoid hiring more full timers would be supplementing.
thats exactly what is happening here. My steward even told me that full timers needs to be on those routes. They’re avoiding hiring more 22.4 drivers. Tcds can turn down cover work whenever they want. What would happen if all tcds turn down Saturday work? Also, it’s not extra work, it’s work. Anything more then those set routes would be extra work. We have 58 full timers at our building and we only run 41 routes on Monday yet they always seem to have tcds driving. they only have 4 people on vacation this week yet they needed a couple tcds to drive. What do you think is happening there?

ManInBrown

I was a seasonal driver for the last 2 peak seasons before going into a loading position back in March. Got pulled to drive here in Phoenix at the Tempe hub about a month and a half ago and just graduated a few weeks ago. Being thrown into this is rough... 114 degrees almost all week and being forced to work 6 days is no joke. Haven't had a Monday off since I started. I've been able to slow down now that I've graduated so I'm just focusing on staying hydrated I bring about 3 gallons of Gatorade with me every day and plenty of ice. It's putting a definite strain on my relationship, my gf was expecting a 9-5 five days a week but that's not happening. I'm hoping it at least slows down for maybe a month before the season comes up on us. Stay strong everyone.
What’s her address? I’ll take good care of her while you’re humping cardboard for 13 hours a day. On a serious note dump the Gatorade. It makes you even more tired in the long run. Gatorade is a decent way to hydrate after going for a run or a long walk in the heat. Not to continue to work in the heat after drinking.