The Sort Isle

asmith112585

Hello all,

I'm a newly-hired UPSer, start in the classroom on Monday. I'm coming on as a package handler, but wish to move to the sort isle pretty much immediately.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any advice on things I need to be studying or a place where I can study the material online. I know they give you books and materials, but I'm wanting to get a step ahead I suppose.

Also, maybe can anyone who has been a sorter give me a breakdown of what my day will look like - e.g. the nature of the work, hours, overtime opportunities, and advancement.

Thanks, and it's great to be a part of an awesome company and an awesome community.

Aaron

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Hello all,

I'm a newly-hired UPSer, start in the classroom on Monday. I'm coming on as a package handler, but wish to move to the sort isle pretty much immediately.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any advice on things I need to be studying or a place where I can study the material online. I know they give you books and materials, but I'm wanting to get a step ahead I suppose.

Also, maybe can anyone who has been a sorter give me a breakdown of what my day will look like - e.g. the nature of the work, hours, overtime opportunities, and advancement.

Thanks, and it's great to be a part of an awesome company and an awesome community.

Aaron

It depends where and what you're sorting. If you're on the "sort aisle", you'll probably handle 500-1000 packages an hour during normal operation. In the sort systems I've seen and the "new" breed, you'll be sorting by colors- i.e. each belt and trucks assigned to it- and there will be several different belts around you.

Overtime opportunities- they come with seniority. The longer you've been with the company, the more rights you have to staying later. During peak (Post-thanksgiving and pre-christmas), you'll get some overtime.

Advancement - unless you're wanting to go into lower management, it's going to be more difficult to do right away, depending upon what shape the hub is in with regards to need for full-time drivers. The best bet is to start air-driving Saturdays for awhile, get the extra money and learn how to do a very easy pickup route.

thebrownbox

yeah I'm on as a package handler on the sort aisle with the packages off the truck.. I pretty much have 4 belts around me red,yellow, brown and blue pretty easy to do I had I guess 5 people tell me on the first day "Don't quit"

Only thing I hate is my scanner (I've known him from HS) puts the PAS labels is some of the most dumbest spots for large packages... like the UPS scan label will be on one side and he puts the PAS label on another.. then you have the guy pushing boxes off the truck and they tend to get jammed or wedged where the bar is.

All I can say is if you ever plan on scanning a box please put the label at least someplace near the UPS scan label!!

rushfan

Don't listen to any advice you will get from here........I'm pulling your leg. Show a desire to work hard, and that'll do.

dillweed

It would be good idea for you to accept what they give you and do a very good job. Indicate that you'd like to try the sort aisle if there is an opportunity. When someone calls in sick they might give you a chance to go up there and see what it's like.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

to idolessworkthenothers the belts have been color coded for more then 40 years. that is not something new.

Obviously, but the PAL system is new, which changed the "colors" in at least 2 buildings I worked in.

Also, I do not want to speculate as to what the rest of the U.S. and the World is doing in their sort systems....

Are you 100% positive every single building in the world uses colors to identify conveyer belts, too?...to my knowledge, yes, but making blind assumptions isn't good information, either.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Report to where they tell you then ask what you have to do to get your sort raise ($1.more per hour) There are some better places to work than the sort aisle like pick off or sorting in small sort or an air recovery."The cream comes to the top"if you work hard pay attention you will get your sort raise.

LKLND3380

yeah I'm on as a package handler on the sort aisle with the packages off the truck.. I pretty much have 4 belts around me red,yellow, brown and blue pretty easy to do I had I guess 5 people tell me on the first day "Don't quit"

Only thing I hate is my scanner (I've known him from HS) puts the PAS labels is some of the most dumbest spots for large packages... like the UPS scan label will be on one side and he puts the PAS label on another.. then you have the guy pushing boxes off the truck and they tend to get jammed or wedged where the bar is.

All I can say is if you ever plan on scanning a box please put the label at least someplace near the UPS scan label!!

Preloaders are instructed to load: Worldship Label (UPS scan label) faceing driver/bulkhead door with PAS label facing out. So if your guy is putting the PAL sticker on the on an opposite side of the Worldship Label that would be correct and expediting preloaders work on the package car... Now the way you say it should be done the preloader must attempt to peel the PAL off and re affix it to the side of the package...

This means fewer pacakges loaded per minute UNLESS they have a crayon and write the pacakage car number and sequence number on the side of the box... But that sucks if they do an add/cut - split because now the package has writing for the wrong car...

thebrownbox

Preloaders are instructed to load: Worldship Label (UPS scan label) faceing driver/bulkhead door with PAS label facing out. So if your guy is putting the PAL sticker on the on an opposite side of the Worldship Label that would be correct and expediting preloaders work on the package car... Now the way you say it should be done the preloader must attempt to peel the PAL off and re affix it to the side of the package...

This means fewer pacakges loaded per minute UNLESS they have a crayon and write the pacakage car number and sequence number on the side of the box... But that sucks if they do an add/cut - split because now the package has writing for the wrong car...

So then why do they have a sign showing a proper placement of a PAS label? It's a toss up.. some put it Over the UPS scan label (ugh) and some get it right and some are all over the box with no defined spot.

Pollocknbrown

It depends on the difficulty of the sort test, personally when i got the sort sheet and saw all the zip codes and colors (7 belts up here). I got a map of the US found out the states by zip codes and colored a map to learn it easier, and the states with a spilt on it (IE eastern PA goes orange and west PA goes tourquoise for us) i colored the map as that and put the specifics at the bottom of the map. And after that i became familiar with the PCs at my hub and studied on there so i would learn the test by the human readables as its quicker and easier to see, but if u learn it that way you'll have to learn all the exceptions to your local sort (buffalo has a split as well as rochester(which has no pattern its a few random zip codes) , coming out of buffalo (dont ask me why, makes no sense to us sorters either). But if you know it, and work hard up there, and dont jam up the traverses (if you have one belt with two colors, they split at the end, Sups hate un-jamming them) you'll be fine.

UPS Lifer

Aaron,
It sounds like you are in pre-senority. Don't be surprised if you can't go to the sort isle immediately. It is peak and your operation probably has a spot assigned for you. Make sure you are successful in that area first!

browniehound

To everyone here that places PAL labels on packages, I have one request. Please do NOT place the PAL label anywhere near the address label. PLease, just don't do it. Place it in an area that is completely "brown".

The most important reason is because you place it over the contact person's name. So a package going to KC jones , 21 1st Ave. in Clarksville USA that has 200 employees at that location and the PAL label covers KC Jone's name then the receptionist gives us drivers a hard time signing for it because she doens't know who that package is addressed to because you covered that information.

It also hurts when its a COD package and you cover the amount that is due. Yeah we try to peel that label to see the amount but it usually takes the amount of with it. Like someone stated here before, the PAL label sicks "Like a fat kid to a candy bar" LOL.
What are we supposed to tell our customers? UPS is so incompentent that they devised a system that requires its employees to cover information pertenent to the customer's needs?

And lastly, you put it over the barcode, UGH. Why do you torture your fellow teamster employee's by doing this? Please just put it anywhere except where you see white. Thank you in advance!

Dump and Run

Putting the PAS label beside the origional label would be a perfect place. Just don't cover ANYTHING on the origional label is the bottom line. The drivers in your center will be greatful.