The stars have lined up for the worker this year, we have all the leverage

Tony Q

- Virtual full employment in the US right now.
(reported this week that there are more job openings than people looking for work).

If we strike and half of all part timers quit during a time of "full employment", how would they expect to bounce back hiring for positions few people want to do?

- Major corporate tax cut passed this year

The public witnessed thousands of companies increasing pay, benefits, bonuses, etc. as a result of the tax cut. How UPS could demand concessions is beyond comprehension this year.

UPS has to know they're scewed. The stupidy of allowing a strike in this environment is corporate suicide.
We are in a good position to get a strong contract and a strong one will be delivered, regardless of who you like politically. Just remember that politics are the root of all evil. Don't put all your money on politicians in and out of the Teamsters, because they are really going to better themselves for the most part. The beautiful thing about Denis T is that he is not going to be running for anything. He is going to retire, so he is going to take his final shot at an employer he started working for 41 years ago. And don't be fooled, he is a tough, shrewd and blunt negotiator who is very meticualous.

Hethatbeking

Believe it when I see it. Thus far I've never seen anyone get tougher or more radical as they near retirement in business or politics. Most seek to foam the runway before landing.

Moneythehardway

The fact that there's only 50 days until the contract lapses and no new contract to even look at tells me there is a HUGE impasse.
That's scary !!!

I see it a different way, The fact that no contract proposal is out yet tells me that UPS is thinking twice before putting out a BS contract proposal especially being that they see the members voted 93% Yes to permission to strike vote, they know that we mean business and they know that they'd better come correct.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I see it a different way, The fact that no contract proposal is out yet tells me that UPS is thinking twice before putting out a BS contract proposal especially being that they see the members voted 93% Yes to permission to strike vote, they know that we mean business and they know that they'd better come correct.
Maybe, but we'll never know.
I think there's more pressure on Denis T, not UPS