The ultimate in Service Failure

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Those crash reports just show involvement. Not who's at fault... Got any relevant sources?

Last year, I listed a large number of serious Ground crashes with dates, injuries, and who was at fault. I'll see if I can get some comparison data between Express and Ground. Most accident data focuses on large trucks, like semis. You are not going to see who's at-fault, because that isn't one of the parameters, but if you read the details of the accident, it's usually fairly easy to see who to blame. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of single-vehicle Ground accidents.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Wow. I am seriously considering changing the title of this thread to "My Purple is Purpler than your Purple".

You're right. It's ridiculous. My apologies.

You don't have to apologize my good sir, just this was not what was intended when I started the thread. You guys have every right to feel the way you do about Ground and I have been lurking for enough years to know how far this animosity goes back.

But the really sad part of it is I know exactly what the videos you posted show just by the titles because I have seen them all.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I told a manager just the other day that the company wide push for Increased sph and productivity was going to get someone killed. I don't know if that was the cause of this accident or not. The driver could of been reaching for a candy bar or in the middle of a sneeze for all I know. Could happen to any of us . It only takes is a split second. If this did happen because of some idiot telling the courier he wasn't moving fast enough.. Well then shame on management. At the end of the day they're just boxes. No box is worth taking someone's life. I don't know if I could live with myself if I hurt another person over a damn box.

It's the courier's feet that operate the pedals, his hands that turn the wheel, and his brain that coordinates it all. Being told to hurry up by a manager is no excuse to jeopardize the safety of another human being. I'd rather get chewed out for a late package than to get fired for killing someone due to my own carelessness.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's the courier's feet that operate the pedals, his hands that turn the wheel, and his brain that coordinates it all. Being told to hurry up by a manager is no excuse to jeopardize the safety of another human being. I'd rather get chewed out for a late package than to get fired for killing someone due to my own carelessness.

Easy to say, hard to do. If you know your job is in jeopardy because you aren't producing enough, a lot of employees are going to succumb to the pressure and cut corners on safety. Sure, it's the courier who operates the vehicle, but it's management who overloads routes, writes OLCCs, and browbeats those who cannot make their numbers. FedEx has a "safety culture" without the safety because they don't practice what they preach.

It's all about the money. My bet is that the FedEx legal hit team will be in Reno tomorrow trying to minimize the financial exposure of the company. They could care less about the motorcyclist.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Easy to say, hard to do. If you know your job is in jeopardy because you aren't producing enough, a lot of employees are going to succumb to the pressure and cut corners on safety. Sure, it's the courier who operates the vehicle, but it's management who overloads routes, writes OLCCs, and browbeats those who cannot make their numbers. FedEx has a "safety culture" without the safety because they don't practice what they preach.

If you think it's hard to work in a manner that doesn't cause fatal wrecks, you have no business being a courier.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you think it's hard to work in a manner that doesn't cause fatal wrecks, you have no business being a courier.

No, management needs to create a working environment that is conducive to safety. That certainly isn't the case right now.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Agreed MFE. There is certainly a disconnect between theory and practice in regards to the safety mindset at FedEx. We sometimes hear the phrase "Safety First", yet at meetings our numbers are always the first topic of discussion in great detail and safety is always covered last, like an afterthought.

bbsam

Staff member
No, management needs to create a working environment that is conducive to safety. That certainly isn't the case right now.

Why? UPS drivers are far more under the gun, but you don't hear them making excuses for safety lapses.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why? UPS drivers are far more under the gun, but you don't hear them making excuses for safety lapses.

Sorry, but I have to call BS on this one. Having worked at UPS, and known and seen countless drivers on the job, UPS is very safe, and they don't tolerate a lack of safety very long. And yes, they are more "under the gun" because in absolute numbers, they do more stops. But we do far more miles, and most of our stops are not driveway-to-driveway. Almost everyone uses UPS, which cannot be said for FedEx. When the UPS driver hits my subdivision, he has several stops on every street. The FedEx guy has 1..in the whole subdivision.

It's like this almost everywhere domestically. And if you worked for Express, you'd know that Scott Mungo (Mugno?) is all about talk, not action.

Glorifiedpackmule

UPS and FedEx Express are too
Different monsters. I was a swing driver over there for two years. The actual workload is much harder as far as number of packages and the weight of the packages. However, a hard day At Express on a city route with 140 stops has always been in my opinion more stressful than any day I worked at UPS with 200 stops. Not physically harder, but more mentally. Trying to make P1's, have COD's off by noon, SOS off by 3:00, E2 businesses by 16:30, all the whilst having 35 to 45 pickups coming in a different times til 5:00pm. It's a different beast all together. On top of an already stessful job, we now have managers being told to tell us that we're lazy and need to do more. The first week I started at FDX, my manager told me that I NEEDED to spend more time talking to my customers. He said this wasn't UPS and that FDX was more of a customer friendly experiance. Fast foward 7 years and i now have the same manger telling me if I don't sleep up that I may not have a job here soon. Safety is the LAST thing FedEx Express is pushing rightnow.