The Year In Review.....

browniehound

Sat, Cement and DS, thanks for your replies. DS if I'm screwed on business deliveries I will definitely say something (but in my current route this hasn't happened yet) , otherwise I am a quiet person by nature and I guess I have "no balls" to complain about my dispatch.

On my route there is plenty on time to get all businesses off before 5PM, even on the most heavy days, so I don't see the sense in telling my boss you overdispatched me by 20 stops when I can deliver them easier as anyone else . He sees the stop count in the AM. He knows I'm heavy. I think my gripe was aimed at the preload and why they can't level the work off before we leave the building

If I'm over 9.5 I send my message of how many done, how many left, and how many I need to lose (TRP, I include the how many done becuase if I don't I will recieve a message 2 minutes later asking how many I have done and its just a waste of time to commincate with them any more than I have to:wink2:)

The SPHOR on my route is like a 14.2. If they want to over dispatch me by 20 stops its an extra 1.5 hours ie: 66 bucks, ( including the 20 min. time bonus) or so more in my pocket and it becomes thier problem after I send my message. I don't get mad, I take the OT and let the numbers do the talking.

And Sat, what heck did my comment about futile arguments remind you of, LOL? I think its from a movie, but which one?

Thanks again for your comments,

:peaceful:
Brownie

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Heres to getting back to the original thread topic about stupid things. A week ago, I get an On Call Ground message on my DIAD. I am in the same sub-division, so I go to the house. A lady comes to the door, and says her son is on the way home with the package. She wants me to wait, so her son can help me pick it up and put it in my Package Car. Its a car engine. 800-1000 pounds, or something like that. I told her "Sorry, we don't do those, you need a freight line". UPSF got it later that day.

browniehound

Scratch,
Remember the days when 1x pus would be called in and you would get a nice UPS label in your slot the next day? Not anymore. Now that person on the other end of the 1-800-pick-ups call tells the custmomer we can pick it up today. What a waste of time and money for the company to pick up 1 ground package from a residence going to a residential address. Lets look at the hassle this creates on each part of the process.

Old way:
Granny would call the 800# from 5 elm st. at 4pm and ask for a pick up. She would be told the driver would be by sometime before 7 pm the next and how much she must leave for the driver. Driver would recieve 1X label in his slot the following day and make pick up on trace.

New way:

Granny is told driver can come by today. Granny says that she doesn't have a UPS label to put on the package. She is told by the 1-800 idiot that the driver will supply her with what she needs.

The driver now gets the SDG call after he has been to granny's street and the message says she needs a ground ASD. Even though granny lives on the driver's route he must drive 2 miles back to make the pick-up. Then he must wait while granny fills out the GSD and she proceeds to ask 5 questions about the fields she must fill out. Finally after 7 minutes the driver is able to leave granny's street and drive 2 mile back to his trace.

All the while this package is going to granny's son who lives on a rural residential street somewhere in America. My points:

1. Residential to residential ground = the least profitable delivery.

2. We could have pick up the package on trace the next day saving us at least 20 bucks in labor costs if we did it the old way.

3. Why does ups bust our balls about how many steps we make back into the selection area of the vehicle, yet they will let us sit at a residential pick-up for 7 minutes while someone fills out an ASD?

4. If they don't have everything prepared I think the pick-up should be made the next day?

Anyone disagree with those statement?

Cementups

Box Monkey
I'm with trp on this as well. There have been times where, even before my start time, that I have infomed my supervisor(s) that I will not be able to make 9.5. They respond wth either "why?," or "give me a call later and let me know how you look." I tell them it's not going to change. I sitll message in though around 2 or 3 and make them aware that I am still not going to make.

It's funny I posted this last night. it happened today. I was sent out very heavy . My supe asked if i saw my dispatch and I told him I was going to be late. He called me at 1pm and asked me how I was looking. Told him I was still going to be over 9.5. All he told me was to do the best I could. I did and punched out in 9.75. Oh well.