Thermals

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So I went to Cabela's and asked one of the 20 year old girls where I could find men's thermals. She stared at me with a blank look like I had just asked what aisle I should head to if I wanted to buy a prosthetic leg.

"You know, you wear them under your clothes to keep warm..."

Her,"Oh, you mean base layers...they're upstairs in Camo."

I remember when we called them long-johns...then they changed to thermal underwear...now base layers? Geez. Guess I'm getting old.

P.S. Do you wear them? I hit a nice sale and picked up a 20 below set for like $51 (msrp $120 for the set).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to wear Walmart specials and while they did the job they seemed to wear out rather quickly. My son bought me an Under Armour cold gear top last Christmas. I loved it so much I sprang for the pants this year. At $50/each they are not cheap but they are certainly worth the money.

barnyard

KTM rider
I get base layers from Sierra Trading Post. There is also a generic Under Armor at Scheels that I like. I have several heavy weight sets and lots of lighter weight.

A polypro base with traditional 'long john' style next, followed by pants is too warm for temps above 0.

I wear a sleeveless generic UA shirt in winter and summer as a base layer, wicks away the sweat and with a long sleeve thermal layer is adequate for most days.

I also have several different neck gaiters for different temps and a light balaclava for when it gets below 0.

Layers are the key.

BrownArmy

Target sells long underwear under the Merino label - they're a good price, last a long time, and are quite warm.

I've always called them thermals - to me long johns are the underwear that have the butt flap...

BrownArmy

• The long johns with the butt flap are called union suits now. I love them, also.

Yes, you're correct...I had a pair when I was in high school...if I remember they were full body, hence the butt-flap...

No need to totally disrobe when you're going to the outhouse...

over9five

Staff member
I got a union suit from Sportsmans Guide many years ago. Could only wear it on the coldest below 0 days.
Best thing was it came in UPS brown!

Notretiredyet

Have three different kinds of underarmour that I use for work depending on the temp. One is for 20 degrees and down, one for 20-40 and another for the summer when it's over 80. The stuff isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for and if you buy it when it's on sale you can save a few bucks. Had some for a few years now and haven't worn them out yet. Really work well for our kind of work where you can go from sweating to freezing as often as many of us do a day.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I have some Nike Combat Force cold gear (same as the UA stuff) and I mostly wear the leggings part. The shirts are mock neck and really aren't made for persons with an 18" neck. I feel like I'm choking half the day. I do have some old school Duofold that works fabulously. And it can be had rather cheap. Super super warm.

BoomBah is a local company that sponsored my daughter when she played softball. They make a line of heat/cold clothing on par to UnderArmour but at a better price.
Every year they clearance out the present years items in advance of the new year.
They currently have cold weather long sleeve undershirts at $9.99

http://www.boombah.com/Glyder-Compression/

FilingBluesFL

Welcome to Florida
MustangAss.jpg

Marne Vet

I wear a pair of fleece lined military thermals, then a pair of flannel pj pants over that, and then my UPS pants. Up top is a t-shirt, brown Under Armor long sleeve shirt, and my short-sleeve UPS jacket shirt on top. Keeps me ventilated better. Instead of my UPS issued jacket I have a dark brown fleece jacket that my center manager doesn't seem to mind me wearing, and a brown neck gaiter for my neck and ears. If it rains I have a Propper Gortex suit in brown to throw over, and some Merril fleece lined waterproof boots. Good to go out here where it's cold as Hell this time of year.

BUCN85

So I went to Cabela's and asked one of the 20 year old girls where I could find men's thermals. She stared at me with a blank look like I had just asked what aisle I should head to if I wanted to buy a prosthetic leg.

"You know, you wear them under your clothes to keep warm..."

Her,"Oh, you mean base layers...they're upstairs in Camo."

I remember when we called them long-johns...then they changed to thermal underwear...now base layers? Geez. Guess I'm getting old.

P.S. Do you wear them? I hit a nice sale and picked up a 20 below set for like $51 (msrp $120 for the set).

I go with the under armour cold gear. Mock compression or fitted. More expensive than long johns. But it's worth it once u start to sweat. The UA wicks away the sweat keeping you dry. Well worth it

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
I still wear the tradition long johns. Its worked just fine for 27 years in temp's below -10. My wife buys them in the spring when the stores are giving them away. I got 3 new pairs of upper and lower's for under $20. Now I have 8 sets.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Instead of my UPS issued jacket I have a dark brown fleece jacket that my center manager doesn't seem to mind me wearing,

I had an Eddie Bauer fleece wind cutter jacket that I wore for years until it got snagged on something and tore the sleeve a little. Eventually the tear got worse and I can't wear it now. BEST jacket I ever had. The wind cutter liner was unbelievable in it. I could be out in 0º and windy weather and I would still be sweating in that jacket. I wish I could find another. :(