Thinking about becoming a driver, what should I be wary about?

upshelp

Hi, I am new here and I have questions about becoming a driver.

I have enough seniority where I can sign up to be a driver.

My colleagues who came in at the same time I have have been doing training and were turned down multiple times for whatever reason (probably was not fast enough). I worked with them in the sort / unload and I am younger and faster than them. I think I can do it.

How do I prepare for the training? What effects will being a driver have on my body, I am sure it is very hard on the body. I don't want to make more money by wearing down my body too much. Is it worth it at all? Should I practice learning how to drive stick for a couple weeks first?

All suggestions would be very appreciated.

What do you mean they were turned down? Did they actually go out driving and were DQed or did not even get that far? Many people can't meet the pre qualification for going driving.

upshelp

Some of them are very hush hush about it but they actually went out on a route for about a week or 2 and got cold shouldered or something. They say that using the computer system slowed them down. I think they were just too slow. These guys were usually tugging most of the time and were probably not fit enough to keep up with the pace.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank

My colleagues who came in at the same time I have have been doing training and were turned down multiple times for whatever reason (probably was not fast enough). I worked with them in the sort / unload and I am younger and faster than them. I think I can do it.

How do I prepare for the training? What effects will being a driver have on my body, I am sure it is very hard on the body. I don't want to make more money by wearing down my body too much. Is it worth it at all? Should I practice learning how to drive stick for a couple weeks first?

Be weary of anyone in management who's mouth is moving

jumpman23

Oh Yeah

Do yourself a favor and just temp aka seasonal drive. That way you still have a life part of the year and not have to drive in the winter with snow, ice, cold, and the sun going down early as balls on ya lol. All depending on where your at obviously with the weather and the length of seasonal driving. Pain in the ass nowadays going full time. Money is great but the hours and harassment suck. You learn to deal with that stuff but it still sucks.

The Driver

I drive.
Boohoo, ups drivers aren't the only ones who work late nights. Many pters who have 2 jobs work from 6pm in the morning to 10:30 in the night.

Absolutely. There's another world out there where a lots of people work multiple jobs only to get to retirement age and not retire with any sort of pension. They work late or variable shifts standing on their feet all day (which in some cases is as bad for you as moving all day) and deal with stressful situations that they can't get away from to blow off steam.

This job is most certainly what you decide to make of it. If you fantasize about working in an office setting, go work in an office setting. Been there, done that, it's boring. It doesn't interest me. I'm a people person but I enjoy the long hours and the flow of chipping away at work in mostly solitude.

Injuries happen. Belligerent management is a reality. But life is short, and OP? Just do what you know if your gut is the right thing to do. I'd rather regret something I did than something I didn't do, especially based off what others say about what to do with your life.

The Driver

I drive.
The "other world" is a joke compared to how hard we work everyday......the work ethic in this country is laughable!

What I like a lot about this job is that it's work. It's pretty much straight work. It's this stop, the next stop, the next stop. There is some planning ahead but it's not overwhelming. There's a flow.

There's a lot of jobs with almost zero flow and I've done them and they are really very frustrating and not satisfying. At least with delivering for this company I get the satisfaction of getting to that last stop and being done with it. I don't take it home with me in a negative way. Not to mention it's a respected job in our society.

Future

Victory Ride
What I like a lot about this job is that it's work. It's pretty much straight work. It's this stop, the next stop, the next stop. There is some planning ahead but it's not overwhelming. There's a flow.

There's a lot of jobs with almost zero flow and I've done them and they are really very frustrating and not satisfying. At least with delivering for this company I get the satisfaction of getting to that last stop and being done with it. I don't take it home with me in a negative way. Not to mention it's a respected job in our society.
Well stated.... I agree....there is a sense of accomplishment for me at that last stop and feel happy at the end of the day.