Thinking about possibly attempting to make the switch to UPS

CaptainObvious

Another option if you think you can hack it is to apply for one of those undesirable locations...suffer for a year and then put yourself on the transfer list. Actually Portland, Or is really low on the seniority list right now and the place is beautiful. I miss it actually...but there's lots of 10 hour days there and some people can't handle that. Being you're a FredEx you're probably use to the abuse. Good luck!

What transfer list????

If your a driver in the west region a list is posted every year that you can sign up on to transfer with in the region but you may have a wait depending on location and seniority.
Not sure if this done anywhere else so I would suggest the OP find out before hand. The not so desirable position in Nevada would be a good place to start.:cool:
JMO

ManInBrown

Thanks to every one of you that has responded so far. It is a tough decision that will take a bit of time to decide what to do. Be it loader route, seasonal route and hope to catch on, or off the street in a not so desirable location if the listings are accurate and they aren't seasonal. But please keep your advice and suggestions coming if possible. I need all the help and advice I can get in making this life changing decision. And you guys/gals would know best. Thanks again. I really appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post in this thread.

ManInBrown

So I did some research on the North Dakota station location. Williston ND. And apparently if what i read was correct. The oil industry has turned this city into a major hotbed for job opportunities. People flocking from all over the country to Williston to find work in all different types of industries. Which is a good thing. Problem is the city is so crowded with all the people flocking there for work that there is a major shortage on housing. There are people living all over the city in RV's. I dont own an RV. LOL. And if you want a 1 bedroom apt which would be fine for me to get started. You are looking at 2000 a month and thats if you can even find one. So Williston might not work. Will have to look more into it this week. Williston was the one location on job listings out of the 5 that didn't say seasonal that had interviews available.

J

jibbs

So I did some research on the North Dakota station location. Williston ND. And apparently if what i read was correct. The oil industry has turned this city into a major hotbed for job opportunities. People flocking from all over the country to Williston to find work in all different types of industries. Which is a good thing. Problem is the city is so crowded with all the people flocking there for work that there is a major shortage on housing. There are people living all over the city in RV's. I dont own an RV. LOL. And if you want a 1 bedroom apt which would be fine for me to get started. You are looking at 2000 a month and thats if you can even find one. So Williston might not work. Will have to look more into it this week. Williston was the one location on job listings out of the 5 that didn't say seasonal that had interviews available.

I would think North Dakota would be rife with seedy motels (Super 8s, local B&Bs, no-name hotel/motels). I don't know the types in North Dakota those places would attract, but around here I'd be fine staying in close proximity to hookers, pushers, pimps and partiers while I wait for a more stable housing arrangement to open up. Places like that you can pay by the night, week, or month... I've never been in a situation unfortunate enough to discover if they let you pay a year in advance, but I'm thinking someone that unfortunate wouldn't likely have the funds for that kind of payment.

[BOOM! Internet magic: Google's hotel search (https://www.google.com/hotels/) has a bunch of super cheap motels in the heart of and around Williston, North Dakota. Caveat emptor.]

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

My buddy is working the oil fields in North Dakota. Just to park your RV in a spot with electric is $800 or more a month. These guys make some serious money but the way they get price gouged is pretty awful.

J

jibbs

My buddy is working the oil fields in North Dakota. Just to park your RV in a spot with electric is $800 or more a month. These guys make some serious money but the way they get price gouged is pretty awful.

Supply and demand can be a buddy* sometimes.

ManInBrown

Here's what it is going to come down too. I am going to end up doing one of two or three things. And I would love it if I could hear your guy's opinion in which you would pick. Like I said in a previous post I live in the northeast and I applied at my local station last year to go seasonal. Was told by the HR person that it wasnt a smart move. Station at full capacity and drivers aren't leaving. (Hell I wouldnt leave either) LOL. She said she put one guy on from the previous year's seasonal crew.

So my first choice is go back this year and do the seasonal at my local station. And hope for the best.

Second choice is when I go for the interview at my local station take the package handler position which was also offered last year.

Third choice is try to get an interview and get hired at one of these undesirable locations hiring drivers off the street. Like I said before my personal situation would definitely allow me to just pick up and leave and go to one of these locations. But for obvious reasons it is probably the least attractive option. Move to a new place and know no one. Have lived in the northeast my whole life. Yadda yadda yadda.

If it was 5-7 years ago choice #2 would be a no brainer. Would have no problem taking the loader job and waiting it out. Still not a problem but at my age it makes it a little tougher. I feel with my experience and route knowlege of the local area I live in it definitely gives me a leg up on other seasonals but if there are no spots there are no spots.

I would really love to hear if in my position what some of you guys would do. This is going to happen regardless in the next 6 months. But I have to choose which route I am going to take to try to accomplish it.

J

jibbs

Personally, I'd make the move to one of those undesirable locations and tough it out. Sure, you don't know anybody there right now but I guarantee you'll know somebody after your first day. All you've got to remember is that, in Williston, at least, nearly everybody you see will be in a situation similar to your own.

Brownslave688

Take the full time non seasonal job if possible. You want to start progression ASAP. If u go the unload route it could be 10-15 years before your at full scale. If you do seasonal and your really good they likely will just ask u back for the next seasonal and tell u they should have an opening soon. This could go on quite awhile.

Ups and FedEx are both here to make money. Their goal is to keep u as cheap productive labor as long as possible.

PACNW

We will see more and more off the street hires if things stay the same. Right now I believe it is 6 inside to 1 outside (West region is actually 6-1-1 with the transfer opportunity coming before the outside hire. UPS used to reserve those outside hire spots for part-time sups with the idea they would get some valuable on road experience and go back into management. The last several years almost all pt sups are refusing to go back into management, even with heavy pressure. Pt sups will now be passed over and the outside hire will be used to bring in off the street hires that diversify the workgroup.

I would certainly advise you not to wait to look for an opportunity until after the new contract. Several things could happen that could hurt you-the company could give up the ouside hire all together, there could be some sort of 2 tiered system (however unlikely), or they could extend the progression to top rate again out past 3 years.

ManInBrown

Can anyone tell me if I was to choose the undesirable location route. Is the pay (top out rate) the same everywhere? Im not so much concerned with starting at a different pay rate in one of these locations as lets say a NYC rate. But is the top out rate the same everywhere? We have different market levels at Express. The pay rate is not the same everywhere.

Brownslave688

The most I know of is a dollar or two an hour difference tops. As was stated above they are pretty much the same everywhere.

ManInBrown

Would anyone possibly know. If I took the seasonal driver job in my area where I live now. And I worked the 2 seasons and for whatever reason wasn't hired on permanent. (Which is highly likely from what HR told me last year. No matter how good a job I do.) Be it no spots available or some other reason. And I was just let go or however they handle it. Would I then be able to put in for an off the street position in an undesirable location in another state? Correct me if I'm wrong but as a seasonal you can only work two seasons and that is it. If you aren't kept you cannot work for the company anymore in any capacity because of the union rules.

The dilemma I am running into with the listings of the undesirable location jobs available. Most of the listings say no interviews available. And the ones that do have interviews. They only have openings for the following day. Nothing out past that. I can't get a plane ticket fast enough and fly across the country to get to the interview the following day. And I can't get the ticket. And then the following day schedule the interview because what I have noticed is these locations that are available pop up one day and are gone the next. They don't stay up long in the listings for whatever reason. If I get the ticket and then try to schedule the interview I risk the location being off the screen. Most of these locations are so remote. I have to fly to a major airport and then take a puddle jumper to a smaller airport. La Grande Oregon was one of the listings. Would have to fly to Portland then take another plane to La Grande. "Logistically" impossible to get there the following day.

Last edited:

gotbrown

I'm in New England and we do not have restrictions on how many years someone can be a casual, I know one thats been doing it for seven years, still waiting.

ManInBrown

Little update on my situation. Wondering if you guys could help me out and answer something. I have decided to go the seasonal route at the center in my area. Speaking to a couple UPS drivers on road in the last few days, they advised me to wait until after the new contract situation is settled. They said if I come on before then and you guys go on strike and I don't cross the picket line (which I would never do) UPS would just fire me for not crossing the picket. Is that the right move on my part to wait until the new contract situation is settled? Just want to make sure I was given sound advice. Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Little update on my situation. Wondering if you guys could help me out and answer something. I have decided to go the seasonal route at the center in my area. Speaking to a couple UPS drivers on road in the last few days, they advised me to wait until after the new contract situation is settled. They said if I come on before then and you guys go on strike and I don't cross the picket line (which I would never do) UPS would just fire me for not crossing the picket. Is that the right move on my part to wait until the new contract situation is settled? Just want to make sure I was given sound advice. Thanks in advance for the help

Don't wait---there will be a handshake by the end of April and the contract will be ratified on or before June 1st.