Thinking of going into feeders.

Oh4ore

Not that I necessarily know what I'm talking about. Just got into feeders. One of the hardest things to do is to shed the Package Car mentality.
This is a different animal all together.
None the less, it's the best decision I've made at UPS.
Still so much to learn.
Finding out that other Feeder Drivers are quite helpful.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Not that I necessarily know what I'm talking about. Just got into feeders. One of the hardest things to do is to shed the Package Car mentality.
Still so much to learn.
The more you focus on safety the faster that bull:censored2: mentality falls into the abyss. Triple check everything your first year.

Faceplanted

Dude, we're talking about UPS Feeder: the best of the best, Top Guns, Teamsters. Why are you bringing up your experience as a "gypsy trucker" working for uncle Jester? Youre probably the driver who always has something to say at every PCM and drives your customers crazy for lingering in the office and staring too much.
Your cool. Glad one of the best truck drivers in the world gets to share the internet with me. I'm honored.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Still so much to learn.
The more you focus on safety the faster that bull:censored2: mentality falls into the abyss. Triple check everything your first year.

YUP, I was told a few times during training to slow down a little more.
Definitely a lot to learn, but very rewarding when it all falls into a routine.

The funniest thing was when we were out on the road with doubles.
I mentioned "I'm not used to these many cars passing me".
My trainer says "WOW, your package sups must have loved you !!" :lol:

Oh4ore

Right now I am focusing on slowing down. Making a set in time for my pull time is a problem. I just have to SLOW DOWN and get it straight. Literally.
Other feeders are telling me to relax, but not be lax.
Meeting my pull time won't mean a thing if I let the stress get to me and end up making a set shaped like the letter Z because I'm rushing.
Backing is still a problem. Learning how to stick to a routine.
Do the same things, in the same order, in the same way every time.
There aren't many things to do, but it's a matter of safety.
That's always on my mind.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Right now I am focusing on slowing down. Making a set in time for my pull time is a problem. I just have to SLOW DOWN and get it straight. Literally.
Other feeders are telling me to relax, but not be lax.
Meeting my pull time won't mean a thing if I let the stress get to me and end up making a set shaped like the letter Z because I'm rushing.
Backing is still a problem. Learning how to stick to a routine.
Do the same things, in the same order, in the same way every time.
There aren't many things to do, but it's a matter of safety.
That's always on my mind.
Step one: Quit worrying about your pull time.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Still so much to learn.

I was a package driver for 21 years and have been in feeders for 3 months. I got told directly by my feeder manager last week that "I'm paying you a lot of money to take your time and do this job as safely as possible. I don't care how long it takes you as long as you do it safely and by the methods." The union steward was there to hear it too.

govols019

You smell that?
And the next thing you'll know that same manager will be on your supervisors butt wanting to know why you missed a pull and/or arrival time.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
17238712-evolution-nice-skinny-guy-with-a-fat-belly-Stock-Photo-man.jpg

From package to feeder transformation.
The last guy would be good for you@Indecisi0n , you got a hood to work under !

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was a package driver for 21 years and have been in feeders for 3 months. I got told directly by my feeder manager last week that "I'm paying you a lot of money to take your time and do this job as safely as possible. I don't care how long it takes you as long as you do it safely and by the methods." The union steward was there to hear it too.

Yeah, that quote lasts about three or four months. Then they start squawking about on-property times, drive times and leaving on time. Enjoy your three months, then stick to your guns and never rush to yield to their complaints. Because if you wreck, they'll go back to the safety, while you're trying to get your job back.