This Day in History......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 1, 1884
On this day in 1884, the first portion, or fascicle, of the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), considered the most comprehensive and accurate dictionary of the English language, is published. Today, the OED is the definitive authority on the meaning, pronunciation and history of over half a million words, past and present.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 4,
On February 4, 1974, Patty Hearst, the 19-year-old daughter of newspaper publisher Randolph Hearst, is kidnapped from her apartment in Berkeley, California, by two black men and a white woman, all three of whom are armed. Her fiance, Stephen Weed, was beaten and tied up along with a neighbor who tried to help. Witnesses reported seeing a struggling Hearst being carried away blindfolded, and she was put in the trunk of a car. Neighbors who came out into the street were forced to take cover after the kidnappers fired their guns to cover their escape.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 5
On this day in 1994, white supremacist Byron De La Beckwith is convicted in the murder of African-American civil rights leader Medgar Evers, over 30 years after the crime occurred. Evers was gunned down in the driveway of his Jackson, Mississippi, home on June 12, 1963, while his wife, Myrlie, and the couple’s three small children were inside.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 7, 1964
On February 7, 1964, Pan Am Yankee Clipper flight 101 from London Heathrow lands at New York’s Kennedy Airport–and “Beatlemania” arrives. I remember this so well!!

Big Babooba

We buried my mother during the storm. When we walked into the church there were just a few flakes falling. 45 minutes later when we got out there was about 2 inches on the ground. The graveside service was the fastest I ever experienced. My oldest sister had to head west to Plattsburgh AFB. Their drive was uneventful as the storm didn't track that far west. My other sister had to fly to California. She was stuck for a few days.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Feb. 8,
On this day in 1943, Japanese troops evacuate Guadalcanal, leaving the island in Allied possession after a prolonged campaign. The American victory paved the way for other Allied wins in the Solomon Islands.