This Day in History......

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
May 8 th 1945

1945 - VE Day / Victory In Europe Declared
1945 : President Truman and Prime minister Churchill declared victory in Europe today, celebrating the defeat of Nazi Germany. Following the announcement huge crowds, many dressed in red, white and blue, gathered outside Buckingham Palace in London and were cheered as the King, Queen and two Princesses came out onto the balcony.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
History—May 12, 1943. 75 Years Ago—May 12, 1943: German and Italian troops surrender in Tunisia, ending the campaign in North Africa; Allies take 225,000 prisoners. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, In memory of @moreluck , we should try to keep this thread alive , she enjoyed doing this.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
  • May 13
  • 1981 Pope John Paul II survives an assassination attempt
    Turkish right-wing extremist Mehmet Ali Ağca fired two shots at John Paul II on St. Peter's Square. The Pope was seriously wounded but survived thanks to a 5-hour operation and went on to visit his attacker in prison.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
May 14th 1948 Israel founded
May 14th 1804 Lewis and Clark expedition launched near Hartford Illinois
May 14th 1973 Skylab, the first U.S. space station measuring 118 ft tall and weighing 77 tons, is launched into orbit around the earth.

MyTripisCut

• May 17
  • 218 7th recorded perihelion passage of Halley's Comet
  • 1961 Fidel Castro offers to exchange Bay of Pigs prisoners for 500 bulldozers
  • 1970 Hank Aaron becomes 9th player to get 3,000 hits
  • 1998 New York Yankees pitcher David Wells tosses a perfect game in a 4-0 win against the Minnesota Twins at Yankee Stadium, NY

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

• May 18
  • 1974 India becomes the sixth nation to explode an atomic bomb
  • 2002 Micky Ward beats Arturo Gatti by majority decision in a junior welterweight boxing bout in Uncasville, Connecticut; 'The Ring' Fight of the Year; first fight in their legendary trilogy
  • 1965 Gene Roddenberry suggests 16 names for Star Trek Captain; they include Kirk

MyTripisCut

May 19
  • 1989 Dow Jones Avg passes 2,500 mark for 1st time, closes at 2,501.1
  • 1974 Stanley Cup Final, The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA: In their first Finals appearance the Philadelphia Flyers beat Boston Bruins, 1-0 to take the title, 4 games to 2
  • 1992 Amy Fisher shoots Mary Jo Buttafuoco in the face in an altercation over an affair with her husband, in Massapequa, New York

MyTripisCut

May 20

• 1967 BBC bans the Beatles' "A Day in the Life" because of drug references
  • 1990 Hubble Space Telescope sends its 1st photographs from space
  • 1983 Phillies Steve Carlton passes W Johnson with 2nd most strike outs