This Day in History......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 13, 1792
The cornerstone is laid for a presidential residence in the newly designated capital city of Washington. In 1800, President John Adams became the first president to reside in the executive mansion, which soon became known as the “White House” because its white-gray Virginia freestone contrasted strikingly with the red brick of nearby buildings.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 15, 1917

Mata Hari, the archetype of the seductive female spy, is executed for espionage by a French firing squad at Vincennes outside of Paris.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct 16, 1934 (The Long March)
The embattled Chinese Communists break through Nationalist enemy lines and begin an epic flight from their encircled headquarters in southwest China. Known as Ch’ang Cheng—the “Long March”—the retreat lasted 368 days and covered 6,000 miles, nearly twice the distance from New York to San Francisco.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 17, 1931

Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years in prison for tax evasion and fined $80,000, signaling the downfall of one of the most notorious criminals of the 1920s and 1930s.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 18, 1867
On this day in 1867, the U.S. formally takes possession of Alaska after purchasing the territory from Russia for $7.2 million, or less than two cents an acre. The Alaska purchase comprised 586,412 square miles, about twice the size of Texas, and was championed by William Henry Seward, the enthusiasticly expansionist secretary of state under President Andrew Johnson.

badpal

People today have no idea how bad tb was, i had a very old grandpa who caught it in WW1 was in and out the tb hospital for pretty much the rest of his life. He was over 50 when my mom was born so he was long gone when i was born.

moreluck

golden ticket member
People today have no idea how bad tb was, i had a very old grandpa who caught it in WW1 was in and out the tb hospital for pretty much the rest of his life. He was over 50 when my mom was born so he was long gone when i was born.
Children with T.B. outside at Springfield House air school.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 20, 1947
On October 20, 1947, the notorious Red Scare kicks into high gear in Washington, as a Congressional committee begins investigating Communist influence in one of the world’s richest and most glamorous communities: Hollywood. (I was 6 mos. old)

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 22, 1962
In a televised speech of extraordinary gravity, President John friend. Kennedy announces that U.S. spy planes have discovered Soviet missile bases in Cuba. These missile sites—under construction but nearing completion—housed medium-range missiles capable of striking a number of major cities in the United States, including Washington, D.C. Kennedy announced that he was ordering a naval “quarantine” of Cuba to prevent Soviet ships from transporting any more offensive weapons to the island and explained that the United States would not tolerate the existence of the missile sites currently in place. The president made it clear that America would not stop short of military action to end what he called a “clandestine, reckless, and provocative threat to world peace.”

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oct. 26, 1977
1977 Last natural case of smallpox discovered in Merca district, Somalia. Considered the anniversary of the eradication of smallpox, the most spectacular success of vaccination.