This Day in History

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
30 Oct, 1974 - Zaire Muhammad Ali
1974 : Muhammad Ali regains The Heavyweight Title by knocking out George Foreman in the eighth round during the fight billed as "Rumble In The Jungle."
Muhammad Ali Public Domain Photo
Movie about this was pretty good. I hated Clay at first. Was pretty young when he beat Liston. Probably because my father hated him. Nobody but NOBODY thought he had a chance against Foreman. Everyone was saying he actually could get killed in the ring .

When I grew older and read books about Ali and found out what he was really like , I came to respect and admire him. He took a greatly unpopular stand against Vietnam when at the time that was unheard of. We thought he was just scared and selfish not to serve. Who else at that time had the courage ( as a major celebrity ) to do what he did?

Would I give up everything I had for a conviction? I don't think so.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
31 Oct, 1999 - U.S.A. Plane Crash
1999 : EgyptAir Flight 990 (Boeing 767) crashes shortly after taking off from John friend. Kennedy International Airport, traveling from New York City to Cairo crashes off the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, killing all 217 on-board.

Covemastah

Nov 1st 2007 - United States - Paul W. Tibbets Jr. dies
The pilot of Enola Gay ( Hiroshima Bomb ), Paul Tibbets, dies after two-months of ill-health. He has asked for no funeral nor headstone as he was worried that opponents of the bombing would use it as a place of protest. The bombing of Hiroshima marked the beginning of the end of the war in the Pacific. Japan surrendered shortly after a second bomb was dropped, on Nagasaki, three days later. The Enola Gay was named after his mother.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nov 1st 2007 - United States - Paul W. Tibbets Jr. dies
The pilot of Enola Gay ( Hiroshima Bomb ), Paul Tibbets, dies after two-months of ill-health. He has asked for no funeral nor headstone as he was worried that opponents of the bombing would use it as a place of protest. The bombing of Hiroshima marked the beginning of the end of the war in the Pacific. Japan surrendered shortly after a second bomb was dropped, on Nagasaki, three days later. The Enola Gay was named after his mother.
History revisionists like to paint Americans as mass murderers because of the bombs. I always wondered if there were other alternatives. Like shutting down outside trade. trade boycotts , closing off Japan so they couldnt leave the island. Maybe it would have been slow starvation and millions die as a result.

Studies have shown that a long conventional land invasion of Japan would have caused America a million casualties. Also people have to remember that Russia was making rumblings about invading other countries at the end the WWII because they had the army to do it. It may be true that the US wanted to show the Russians what we were capable of.

I never liked the atomic bombings of Japan because 99% of the casualties were civilian. Always thought there were viable alternatives. Would have taken longer but..........war is hell on earth.

My father , who was stationed at Pearl Harbor ( after the Dec7th ) hated the Japanese for decades after the war. Japanese committed unspeakable atrocities upon Chinese ( the Rape of Nanking ) , other enemies , and American POWS . As my father got older he softened some about the Japs. ( I know , not PC ) but i think he was thinking about his chances of getting into heaven.

Covemastah

Both of my uncles home on furlough from Europe , both were going to get on a troop ship for the invasion of Japan , they were warned , we did the right thing. My uncles survived Europe and most likely would of been killed in Pacific, both fought with Parton , w

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Both of my uncles home on furlough from Europe , both were going to get on a troop ship for the invasion of Japan , they were warned , we did the right thing. My uncles survived Europe and most likely would of been killed in Pacific, both fought with Parton , w
agree. the Last year have read bios on Patton and Eisenhower, The Raid on Tokyo by James Doolittle in 1942 and The Rape of Nanking.
It's mostly the Generals , ( except Patton and a few others ) who hated war the most.

Covemastah

November 2

1960 - U.S.A. -- Lady Chatterley's Lover
Penguin Books is acquitted of the charge of publishing obscene material in the case over Lady Chatterley's Lover, by D.H. Lawrence.

Covemastah

Nov 3rd
1913 U.S.A. -- First Income Tax
The first American citizens receive information over the new national income tax. A married man living with his wife, who is in receipt of an income of $5,000 pays $10 a year and if his income is $10,000 he pays $60 per year.

Covemastah

Nov 7th 1991 - U.S.A. - - Magic Johnson
Magic Johnson the Basketball legend announces he will retire from the Los Angeles Lakers after testing positive for HIV .

Covemastah

9 Nov, 1965 - U.S.A. / Canada - - Blackout
1965 : A blackout affecting 30 million people in northeastern states including New York of the United States and Ontario, Canada lasting for up to 13 hours. The blackout was blamed on a sophisticated power system that was ironically built to ensure electricity would be available in an emergency. The blackout affected Ontario, Canada and Connecticut, Massachusetts , New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, and New Jersey.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
9 Nov, 1965 - U.S.A. / Canada - - Blackout
1965 : A blackout affecting 30 million people in northeastern states including New York of the United States and Ontario, Canada lasting for up to 13 hours. The blackout was blamed on a sophisticated power system that was ironically built to ensure electricity would be available in an emergency. The blackout affected Ontario, Canada and Connecticut, Massachusetts , New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New York, and New Jersey.
there was a small panic about this cause a rumor came out that we were under attack by the soviets. i was 9 years old.

Covemastah

11/11/1918 11 am. The Great War ends
Celebrating armistice day , now Veterans Day. Thanks to all who served !!
Thanks to my dad and my two uncles and millions like them,I am not writing this in German or Japanese this morning !! thank You Vets !!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
11/11/1918 11 am. The Great War ends
Celebrating armistice day , now Veterans Day. Thanks to all who served !!
Thanks to my dad and my two uncles and millions like them,I am not writing this in German or Japanese this morning !! thank You Vets !!!!
Excellent Documentary on The Great War:

Covemastah

Nov 12
1979 - U.S.A. - - U.S. Embassy Hostages
Following the taking of 66 Americans as Hostages at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran on November 4, President Jimmy Carter bans the import of oil from Iran .

Covemastah

Nov 13 th
1940 - U.S.A. - - Jeep
The prototype for the Jeep featuring four-wheel drive, an open-air cab, and a rifle rack mounted under the windshield was submitted to the U.S. Army for approval by the car maker Willys-Overland. One year later, with the U.S. declaration of war, mass production of the Jeep began. By the war's end in 1945, some 600,000 Jeeps had rolled off the assembly lines.