This Day in History

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Nov 13 th
1940 - U.S.A. - - Jeep
The prototype for the Jeep featuring four-wheel drive, an open-air cab, and a rifle rack mounted under the windshield was submitted to the U.S. Army for approval by the car maker Willys-Overland. One year later, with the U.S. declaration of war, mass production of the Jeep began. By the war's end in 1945, some 600,000 Jeeps had rolled off the assembly lines.
The story of this jeep is pretty interesting. Watched a small documentary about it years ago. Learned to drive on one of these jeeps that was still working around 1974.

I see that you can buy a replica jeep kit in a box online now. probably a POS

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Nov 18th
1978 - Guyana - - Cult leader Jim Jones
1978 : The Cult leader Jim Jones instructed over 900 members of his church, "People's Temple", to drink a soft drink brewed in a tub with cyanide and sedatives at a mass meeting at the Jonestown camp, the bodies were later discovered at a camp in the Jungle . The cult leader was being investigated by American Authorities for conditions at the camp and Jones was also being investigated for tax fraud . Prior to the mass suicide Jones had a number of his followers shoot reporters and the head of the investigation team Congressman Ryan

Covemastah

11/24
1971 - U.S.A. -- Hijack and Fly
1971: A man hijacked a 727 plane , threatening to blow up the jet unless he received $200,000 and four parachutes. It is believed the hijacker, known as D.B. Cooper, jumped from the plane somewhere over the state of Washington and he nor the money was ever seen again .

Covemastah

11/27
1924 - U.S.A. -- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
New York City's Macy's department store held its first Thanksgiving Day parade down a two-mile stretch of Broadway from Central Park West to Herald Square .

Covemastah

November 28 th
1942 - U.S.A. -- Cocoanut Grove Nightclub Fire
1942 : The Cocoanut Grove nightclub in Boston a former speakeasy New Frequently Asked Questions About Prohihition burns to the ground in the worst Night Club Fire in US history killing 492 people. The fire began when a canopy of artificial palm fronds caught fire and because of the design and number of highly flammable drapes spread quickly through the club and due to the poor design and blocked entrances many patrons could not get out. The fire did have one positive effect which was that fire regulations throughout the country were changed which banned flammable decorations and required all swinging exit doors to open outwards, the new regulations also required exit signs to be visible at all times,

Covemastah

Dec3
1979 - U.S.A. - - Who Concert
Eleven Who fans are killed and dozens are injured in a crush of people trying to get into the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio. when thousands of fans (with first-come, first-served festival seating tickets) rush towards the locked doors when they mistook the sound check for the concert having started.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Dec3
1979 - U.S.A. - - Who Concert
Eleven Who fans are killed and dozens are injured in a crush of people trying to get into the Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio. when thousands of fans (with first-come, first-served festival seating tickets) rush towards the locked doors when they mistook the sound check for the concert having started.
Taking up the baton for @moreluck ... good man!

I usually checked this thread out when more kept it up ... thanks for posting!

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
One of my childhood heroes ... he wrote many science books in addition to his science fictions books for which he is noted.

I've read his Foundation Series 3 times ... I think I'm ready for the 4th time!

1606987210029.png

Covemastah

12/5
1945 - Bermuda - - Aircraft Lost In Bermuda Triangle
1945 : Five U.S. Navy Avenger torpedo bombers comprising Flight 19 take off from the Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station in Florida on a routine three hour training mission. Flight 19 was scheduled to take them due east for 120 miles, north for 73 miles, and then back over a final 120-mile leg that would return them to the naval base. They never returned. This area is known as the Bermuda Triangle and is renowned for causing instrument malfunctions including Compass and Radio Malfunctions. The Bermuda Triangle is said to stretch from the southern U.S. coast across to Bermuda and down to the Atlantic coast of Cuba and Santo Domingo

Covemastah

12/ 6.
1917 - Canada -- Munitions Ship Explodes In Halifax Harbor
A French munitions ship filled with highly explosive munitions--2,300 tons of picric acid, 200 tons of TNT, 35 tons of high-octane gasoline, and 10 tons of gun cotton, explodes 20 minutes after colliding with another vessel in Halifax Harbor killing more than 1,800 people and destroying more than 1,600 homes

Covemastah

12/7/1941
1941 - Hawaii -- Japanese Attack Pearl Harbor
1941 : Japan launches a surprise dawn attack using midget submarines, 350 bombers and torpedo carrying planes targeting warships, aircraft and military installations on the American naval base at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii and has declared war on Britain and the United States. The attack destroyed two battleships, one minelayer, two destroyers with the loss of more than 2,300 US servicemen The US president, Franklin D Roosevelt, has mobilized all forces and is poised to declare war on Japan. The next day when the president addressed Congress and the nation he swore that America would never forget December 7, 1941, as a "date that would live in infamy

Covemastah

12/8 1980.
hard to believe it's been 40 years ,, 16 yr old watching MNF on my old black n white 19" up in my room , I'll never forget this !!!!

Covemastah

1994 - U.S.A. -- Joycelyn Elders
President Bill Clinton fires Surgeon General Joycelyn Elders after she tells a conference that masturbation should be discussed in school as a part of human sexuality.

Good call for a president with such high moral standards !! Pass the cigar Monica

Covemastah

12/10/
1981 - U.S.A. -- Start of Aids
A mysterious epidemic, consisting of two separate diseases, a form of pneumonia and skin cancer, has been found in 180 patients in 15 states since last July. It has claimed around 75 lives so far in the US and up to 92% of the victims are homosexual men. The unknown condition was eventually named as Aids (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome) virus not only restricted to homosexuals and 4,000 were infected in the space of two years.