This is FedEx

hypo hanna

SFA is a joke in my workgroup. The manager picks one issue (The one easiest to handle), to address and the rest is discounted. Nothing above him is ever addressed. When it get's real bad, they trot out the HR Rep for a song and dance then you never hear from them again till next year. If I felt that my concerns were being seriously heard, I would fill out the silly thing. As it is, I just go to the follow up meetings for the comedy.

Ricochet1a

From the way it sounds by reading these threads and watching the actions of FedEx, it is most likely way to late to sign cards. By the time cards are signed and collected and a vote scheduled (face it the Teamsters or any other union is not remotely actively involved right now) and afterwards tabulated, and a negotiation timetable set up, all Express packages will already be shifted to Ground.

The time for action was when the company purchased RPS. The handwriting was on the wall and express drivers needed to organize to demand at least a share of that work.

There actually still is time, but it is running out. The amount of time until the "clock runs out" is basically how quickly can Express get DRA implemented nationwide. The reports are mixed, but it appears that Express has a goal of having half of stations online with DRA come May, and the other half a year after that. I've read memos that state that having all stations capable of some DRA activity is required by May.

DRA will signal the end of Express' dependence on experienced Couriers. Look at the reports of the Ground contractors sending out their helpers with a map plot of their stops - that is what DRA will bring to Express. Once that capability exists, Express could perform a lockout of any potentially organized Courier craft and there wouldn't be anything they could do about it.

I'd put the "out of time" point sometime in January-February. If the IBT had enough signed cards by that point in time, they could petition for an election, have it held, get certification and start the process under RLA to get a strike authorized (yes, at this point in time, a strike would be absolutely necessary). Express wouldn't be far enough in its transformation to easily have a lockout and not have it cost them plenty.

After February, time will have run out. Express will have progressed far enough in getting DRA implemented, that they could do a lockout, move non-union represented Couriers around to routes or even stations that have a large union presence - to get volume moved. They'd open up the hiring spigot, get new Couriers in to run fully DRA enabled routes and have the striking Couriers - basically left to rot.

So if you are a full time Courier and don't want to leave Express (and don't want to become a part-time Courier 2-3 years from now), you'd better get moving (either towards another career or working to get union cards signed).

Debating the shills and stooges here is Fred's game - and he wants to run the clock out so you don't have any option at all left. You'd better starting "playing" like your life depends on it, or go ahead and make plans to throw in the towel at some point in the future. Time is running out for the full-time Couriers.

bbsam

Staff member
A question R1a. Recently (or soon), Ground changed their barcode. Could Ground's or HD's system be coopted for a period of time in an emergency situation (courier work stopage) to give Express time to fully implement DRA? Or is DRA basically the same thing and both take months to bring online?

Ricochet1a

SFA is a joke in my workgroup. The manager picks one issue (The one easiest to handle), to address and the rest is discounted. Nothing above him is ever addressed. When it get's real bad, they trot out the HR Rep for a song and dance then you never hear from them again till next year. If I felt that my concerns were being seriously heard, I would fill out the silly thing. As it is, I just go to the follow up meetings for the comedy.

I think you will see the "feedback" portion of the SFA completely dissppear sometime in the next year or two (the action portion was gone before I hired into Express...). Express has asked the same questions for YEARS, to give them a "measuring stick" for employee discontent. Express knows that employee discontent is at an all time high. Managers are having their feet held to the fire to make sure they take some heat regarding Express personnel policy now - no more playing "good cop, bad cop" (with Memphis being the bad cop).

Anecdotal reports have managers allocated 30 minutes to address a handful of issues (items with low scores that either corporate or district management is concerned about) in their feedback meeting. They are to take 4-5 questions, get a couple of people to open their mouths regarding the issue, take down notes, then end the feedback meeting. They then write up their "report".

At this point, I'd recommend taking the SFA and absolutely slamming all levels of management. Don't put the absolute lowest mark, but use the "generally disagree" response. That indicates that management is absolutely INEFFECTIVE in getting their job done (regarding in trying to distribute corporate KoolAid), and would put them in the "hotseat" for being taken out of management.

At this point, you have nothing left to lose - you might as well starting taking out the Memphis enforcers come SFA time next year. When they are looking at a SFA score in the 40's, they'll realize that they'd better get out of management themselves, or double down on the enforcer role. Your station management ISN'T on your side and hasn't been for a long time. Best to realize that and act accordingly.

Ricochet1a

A question R1a. Recently (or soon), Ground changed their barcode. Could Ground's or HD's system be coopted for a period of time in an emergency situation (courier work stopage) to give Express time to fully implement DRA? Or is DRA basically the same thing and both take months to bring online?

I understand that Express is moving to a 13 digit tracking number sometime in the future. In discussions with an Express "engineer type", this has to do DIRECTLY to enable "interoperability" between the computer systems handling Ground and Express volume. If Express tried to directly "co-opt" the Ground software in the event of a potential Express strike, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot - not on an operational reason, but RLA reason.

If FedEx were to ever be so brazen as to shift ALL volume over and use Ground contractors and equipment, then the "justification" for keeping Express under RLA would be out the window - then FedEx would REALLY be in trouble. They will get away with using Ground as a cartage agent for the delivery of non-overnight Express volume, but trying to assign Ground tracking numbers, then using Ground contractors to move overnight volume would end the RLA charade once and for all. FedEx won't do that.

I've heard talk of what would happen in this case (Express Courier strike), is that Express would look to hire "temps" as delivery drivers (NOT for pickup - reasons given previously), and look to a pool of individuals that are already trained in FedEx procedures and could drive an Express truck with hardly any training.... current Ground helpers...

DRA is VERY similar to Ground's system, but there are key differences - mainly in the need to account for differing commit times of freight which are loaded onto a route. And yes, you get into an excellent question...

From what I understand, the Ground routing software is strictly what Express would call "paper routing" (start at one point on the route, and move in the most efficient path possible to gain maximum productivity in terms of "driver" on road time in getting volume off that route). Express routes AREN'T run like that currently.

Express routes have a "P1" cycle (generally to 10:30 AM in metro areas), backtracking to perform a non-P1 cycle (generally till 3:00PM), then if the route is heavy, the Courier is responsible for getting off all SOS by 3PM, then backtracking yet again to get non-overnight volume off by 4:30PM. A Courier can potentially drive past the same points THREE times in a day - to get volume off within commit time requirements (vast majority of cases, the Courier only does one "backtrack" to get off non-PO volume).

Currently DRA gets screwed up BAD trying to account for all of this need to backtrack. In most tests, the route is "assigned" without regard to commit time (at this time), and Couriers are responsible to break track with DRA stop order and get priority volume off by the commit time - it is screwing up the reports to engineering something fierce.

I've read some of the accounts on BC of stations wanting to break out P1 volume into separate routes, and have full timers run P2 and pick ups only (let part-timers do P1).... Three guesses as to why this operational plan is being kicked about - primarily by engineering and is leaking down to station level....

The issue is, even with the pulling off the delivery of non-overnight volume from Express in the coming years, there will still need to be a capability to have DRA perform a double route trace (P1 cycle then SOS cycle - all while correctly assigning SOS as potential tagalongs to P1 stops). This is what is "vexing" engineering right now. They need to have the dynamic capability of DRA assign enough P1 to each route to get it "efficient", build a stop ordering of that volume, THEN, allocate non-P1 to the route (presumably covering the same area), and do both an efficent stop ordering of that volume - using the ending point of the last P1 delivery as the START point of the P2 cycle, AND correctly assigning potential tagalongs to the P1 cycle.

Couriers do that everyday as part of their job... the goal is to have the software do all of that "thinking". They will succeed, they just need to get the correct algorithms introduced into the software, run it 30-50 times and correct any errors.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
As long as the IBT refuses to play, I don't see much card signing happening. Jesus, all they have to do is wait outside any station, but that's too difficult.

Ricochet1a

As long as the IBT refuses to play, I don't see much card signing happening. Jesus, all they have to do is wait outside any station, but that's too difficult.

The IBT has already written off Express - cold, hard reality.

I've written it before, if the Couriers REALLY want to preserve their careers, they are going to need to do the organizing THEMSELVES and basically hand the IBT the ball to slam through the hoop.

No sense in complaining about it.... it is what it is.

The smart ones will make an exit plan.

Those with no alternatives had better start grassroots organizing OR anticipate a part-time career with no real pay progression OR plan on retiring in the next 3 or so years OR transfer into a non-Courier position OR lube up really well. With the cuts coming to salaried positions, moving out of operations is going to be VERY difficult for Couriers (remember to answer "strongly disagree" when it comes to "potential for future growth" on the SFA).

The sooner the full-time Couriers realize this, the better off they'll be. Unfortunately, most won't realize this till they are looking at working with a large unpaid split and running a DRA managed route - too late at that point.

So the "chatter" here SHOULD be focused on getting posters here working as organizers, getting their coworkers to start signing union cards and doing everything they can imagine to try to get enough cards signed in the next 5-6 months to have a chance at saving their career. Other than that, the only topics of conversation I see as relevant are plans on either getting out, retiring, transferring to non-Courier positions or learning the eat the hamburger and smiling while doing so. Everything else is just playing into Fred's hand and letting him run out the clock on the full-time Courier.

Time is running out folks, you need to start DOING something and spend your time posting about WHAT you are DOING, instead of how you WISHED things would just turn out alright for you. Things AREN'T going to turn out well for you if you persist in doing nothing and letting Fred unfold his plans without interference from a recognized union.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Ain't that the truth! My Dad has told his steward countless times that he would be more than happy to do it, but they just hem and haw. If the IBT would just darken our doorstep, maybe more people would get excited and actually start signing cards.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ain't that the truth! My Dad has told his steward countless times that he would be more than happy to do it, but they just hem and haw. If the IBT would just darken our doorstep, maybe more people would get excited and actually start signing cards.

I think R1a is right. We're off their radar, and one has to wonder why given the current receptive environment at Express. Maybe some of Fred's green has found it's way into Mr. Hoffa's pocket.

55+

Unfortunately we need solidarity which is something fedex workers have never had ..cant get anywhere without it.

check6ii

On another note.....I told my mgr today that if one more vehicle reeks of cigarette smoke causing my athsma to flare, I WILL file a suit. I am preparing a letter for him and our senior manager to sign so I have proof of my complaint and their failed compliance with their own health policy regarding the matter. This was directed by my attorney.

check6ii

Today I contacted OSHA, and DOT in regards to the smoking in FredsExes vehicles, and in close proximity to buildings. FredsExes play their games, I play mine-
Ive got my guns loaded and waiting for them to terminate me as Im nearing 20yrs with the company. I have documented EVERYTHING, taken pictures, copies of vir books, copies of timecards with printed fam codes showing the brks taken during the last hour worked.....the list is seemingly endless. I have documentation of b.s. going back nearly 7yrs now. Mgmt refuses to give me the printouts of ppad messages sent and recieved. So I have taken pics of the messages on the ppads as proof. I have taken pictures of mgrs smoking cigs and even cigars right in front of the rollup doors of our dilapidated bldgs. The ball is rolling.....so grab some popcorn and standby.

I have two different law firms, one of which won the class action suit regarding timecard issues and resulted in the changes about 7 or 8 years ago. Y'all do what y'all want. Let em treat ya like a mushroom and a door mat and intimidate you. Not me-Ive had it. Piss on 'em-

STFXG

Nothing will come of your attempts at "revenge". I feel sorry for you. Such paranoia and anger. Goose frabba my friend.

And good luck with your lawsuit. I hope you don't waste too much money on it.

check6ii

Nothing will come of your attempts at "revenge". I feel sorry for you. Such paranoia and anger. Goose frabba my friend.

And good luck with your lawsuit. I hope you don't waste too much money on it.

Oh, Im not angry-until someones smoke causes me health issues. Hmmmm......Im thinkin maybe yer a stinky smoker????? Ya....yer a smoker. Im sure-