This is not ups related but if any have any opinions.

Ouch

I'm looking at buying an 05-07 dodge 5.9 cummings 2500 4x4 automatic pickup. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pickup. I heard the 5.9 was a better motor than the 6.7. Looking for input on mpg and performance such as off road and how well it will do in pulling loads. I have heard a lot of the 5.9 motors will get around 22 mpg on the highway. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Back first

How m
I'm looking at buying an 05-07 dodge 5.9 cummings 2500 4x4 automatic pickup. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pickup. I heard the 5.9 was a better motor than the 6.7. Looking for input on mpg and performance such as off road and how well it will do in pulling loads. I have heard a lot of the 5.9 motors will get around 22 mpg on the highway. Any input will be appreciated. How much are you pulling? I have a 07 dodge 3500. And it pulls my 35ft travel trailer with ease. Fully loaded is 10,000lbs. Only drawback is diesel is so damn expensive.

Back first

How much are you pulling? I pull my 10,000 lb travel trailer with ease with my dodge 3500 Cummings. The Cummings has lots of power. Only drawback is diesel is so expensive.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm looking at buying an 05-07 dodge 5.9 cummings 2500 4x4 automatic pickup. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this pickup. I heard the 5.9 was a better motor than the 6.7. Looking for input on mpg and performance such as off road and how well it will do in pulling loads. I have heard a lot of the 5.9 motors will get around 22 mpg on the highway. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Check the lip of the rear wheel wells. I've seen a lot rusting through.

Ouch

Back fi post: 1264969 said:
How much are you pulling? I pull my 10,000 lb travel trailer with ease with my dodge 3500 Cummings. The Cummings has lots of power. Only drawback is diesel is so expensive.
Just pulling a 21ft bass boat. I'm really more concerned with the mpg and performance off road. I do a lot of deer hunting and travel thru the mud a lot. Not abusing but just slow and careful. I found a 3500 single wheel with a 5.9 it has 92000 miles for 24000. Does that seem fair.

Ouch

Which motor do you have? This is stock also not chipped or never has been. I'm looking in Texas at these trucks. Seems I can get the best deal there. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That Cummins is a great motor. I believe all the emissions crap for diesels started on 07 & up. If it were me, I'd get an 05-06. Probably plenty of dodge forums online. Search those for best info

Ouch

I think cummings switched in the middle of the year in 07 from the 5.9 to the 6.7. Thanks for all the replies.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
My brother has an '05 with the full Bully Dog system. He has had to do injectors at 110k for $5000 and was told they should have failed at 80k. He has an awesome Dodge mechanic that does work for him on the side. Transmission started failing around 75K and the guy rebuilt it for him with better parts so it's holding up great. He pulls a 35ft toyhauler regularly and is lucky if he gets 10-12 mpg.

Ouch

Thanks 104feeder I asked on another forum I visit regularly and I wonder if he got a bad one. I'm not doubting you by any means. That's the first bad story I've heard. I'm sure they are lots more out there just the first one so far. Now did he get that mileage towing or empty? Now I'm really going to have to search some more on the transmissions and injectors. Thanks for the reply.

rod

Retired 22 years
I know nothing about the diesels but I do know that all the new full size gas trucks that advertise 22-25 mpg only get about 8 mpg as soon as you pull anything with them. My 08 half ton Chevy had a sticker on it that said it was good for 19 mpg city. The most I have ever got has been bout 16 and usually is more like 13.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Thanks 104feeder I asked on another forum I visit regularly and I wonder if he got a bad one. I'm not doubting you by any means. That's the first bad story I've heard. I'm sure they are lots more out there just the first one so far. Now did he get that mileage towing or empty? Now I'm really going to have to search some more on the transmissions and injectors. Thanks for the reply.
He gets that towing, but not much better in the city as I know he was considering getting a subcompact daily driver. From what he said the injector & transmission issues are typical for that year on tow vehicles. I'm not saying the truck is a lemon, just relaying his experience. He's keeping the truck. It has a 6" lift too that doesnt help the mileage.

I'm not sure how many of his issues had to do with the mods he did. I think once you start modding a truck you can't blame too much on the manufacturer. I had a 6.0 for years, which is a much maligned motor but I never had the issues that most of the rednecks that just "hammer down" had.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Injectors will have to be done. Just the way it is. Upkeep on a diesel costs more and you're not pulling anything you'll need it for. What's the reason for wanting one?

As for off road it's 90% tires. Get some toyo mt or nitto trail grapplers and a little mud or snow will never be a problem.

Ouch

Injectors will have to be done. Just the way is. Upkeep on a diesel costs more and you're not pulling anything you'll need it for. What's the reason for wanting one?

As for off road it's 90% tires. Get some toyo mt or nitto trail grapplers and a little mud or snow will never be a problem.
Always wanted one. Diesels to me run so much longer than gasoline. I was thinking nitto grippers. Ive been finding a lot of them listed in Texas that are sharp as a tack. Just preference, and the fact I've wanted one for a while.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
That's the thing with a diesel. If you want one, you want one, & the towing power can't be denied.
You will most likely never see any savings from buying one, (the initial cost, maintenance & fuel is very high), and the truck itself will fall apart before the motor does, but pulling a trailer, & not even knowing it's there is a good feeling.