This ones for all you Guys and Gals who like to BEAT ORION

oldngray

nowhere special
http://www.fastcompany.com/3004319/brown-down-ups-drivers-vs-ups-algorithm
Especially the part about how The driver Beating orion was exactly what they wanted

Those ORION guys just cannot admit there is a real world out there where their pretty mathematic algorithms break. And he quotes one example where a driver's miles went down and ignored the hundred others where it didn't work. And its all about miles at the expense of every other number which they just can't grasp really ISN'T saving money.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Do all the math you want. We start late, have to dig for ORION stops, have bulk, and have commit stops to get off. It pushes the limit on next days too. I never cut it that close and always break off. Add these all together and you may have to turn ORION off. It can work well but it better be all retail with no bulk and light air.

Now, if they can use math to get the air here early, maybe it might work.

Anybody else enjoying going over ORION planned miles? I know I am.

99 out of 100 times, if you turn Orion off you will drive less miles. Ok, realistically, it's probably more like 9999 out of 10000 times.

barnyard

KTM rider
There have been discussions on the FE forum about their version of Orion and why it works or does not. Came down to a pretty simple deal, whenever you are under a firm time deadline and your Orion trace is based on wrong times, it will never work.

Our LV building time can be anywhere from 8:50 to 9:05. My understanding is that the Orion time will always program the 'best case scenario' and have a leave building time at 8:50. That means, most days, a driver is leaving the building already behind. That would not matter if there are no time commits, but if there are, it will mean breaking trace and every break will add time.

Railroads discovered over a decade ago that there are too many variables to run a scheduled railroad. UPS appears cannot learn from history, so they are doomed to repeat it.

My suspicion is that the routes where Orion works, are the ones with no NDA or very few and no pick ups or a very late pick up and no bulk.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Im not trying to "beat" ORION.

My job is to show up and give the company a fair days work for a fair days pay.

That means working as safely and efficiently as possible to get my customers packages delivered and picked up in a timely manner.

That means using my 26 years of driving experience and 20 years of area knowledge to deal with the daily variables of NDA, bulk, traffic, weather and other variables to make the best decisions possible.

If I "beat" ORION, great. If I dont "beat" ORION, then its expectations were invalid to begin with. To me, ORION is irrelevant, just like the so called "time allowances" that the company creates for each route.

Sent using BrownCafe App

FilingBluesFL

If I followed ORION yesterday on the route I was on, I would not have been able to deliver all business stops, and had probly about half of them missed.

I delivered businesses and airs ONLY and just got done at 2:30pm, with having 3 more to do after my lunch... Pickups start at 4:15 on that route.

It seems that ORION just take the number of stops you have, and seems to think you can magically do EVERY ONE by the time you are done with your pickups...

I can't wait until we're forced to follow ORION.

They keep telling us every day "help us fix it!"

It's like we've been using EDD all these years, created a nice plate of spaghetti and meatballs out of it, they just came along and took the plate and threw it on the ground, said "Look what we did, it's better! Now help us fix it..."

SCREW YOU BASTARDS YOU JUST THREW MY MEATBALLS ON THE DAMNED FLOOR!!!