This ones for all you Guys and Gals who like to BEAT ORION

Cementups

Box Monkey
This was my favorite part of the article:

He gave an example of someone who has to go to the barbershop, the grocery store, and a number of other places, but in an uncertain order; ORION’s solution had him going to the grocery store first.

A student raised his hand and said ORION didn’t work. “My mother would never do this,” he said. After all, you can’t have ice cream sitting in the trunk all afternoon, while you’re off getting a haircut.

And he completely, immediately dismissed it. Idiot only lives on the circuit board.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
When there is a stops per car number that must be met good plans tend to disappear.

This will be the downfall of ORION. Dispatch supes (especially the lazy ones) end up with so many different plans for every route every day, that the original EDD/DOL for the routes has either disappeared or is lost in all the clutter.

alwaysoverallowed

We don't have Orion and even before it came up on here I read an article on wired about it and the guys(not ups guys)in the article said this was a pipe dream and it would never work. I remember them saying the number of possibilities for a route was a name they had to define then they showed it written out and they were basically saying "lulz ups this is mathematically impossible lulz." It was pretty bad.

OPTION3

If we are smart enough to help them fix it, we are smart enough to decide on a daily basis whether to follow it or not.

Sent using BrownCafe App
or smart enough not to say ANYTHING and make double the money===I’m on track to make well over 6 figures this year…

Re-Raise

I am bidding onto a new route in a couple of months.

I have no area knowledge on this new route at all.

We are supposed to get ORION later this year, so I am looking forward to just following it exactly. Resistance is futile.. just pay me.. ha ha

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Why? Do I need to set it up and help them do my route. I have NO interest in doing anything to help them at all. I will just drive the Orion guy around and say nothing. Then will follow their plan 100%. Not my job to tell them how I to it. They can figure it out for themselves. I really can't wait. Gonna be fun to watch them

barnyard

KTM rider
http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2009/09/do-european-trains-run-on-time.html
It would appear not all AGREE with you…..surprised you rode them aren’t they HEAVILY UNION?

The Illinois Central and Canadian National both tried scheduling freights over a decade ago in an effort to give crews a more predictable schedule. Failed on both railroads. IC went on to try and give crews a 4 hour window in which they could be called to work. Not sure where that went...

Rainman

Its all good.
We've had Orion for a year. I try to follow it but if it tells me to something ignorant I ignore it and do things the way I know makes sense. It's easy enough to hit 85%, usually 90%+, but over the last year they may have said something to me once. It's just one more thing to have to think about, but it's not the end of the world.

The main thing I don't care for is that it slows me down. I drop miles, but it takes me longer to do the same amount of work. That gets old

Kmart sux. So does walmart.

Overpaid Union Thug

Levis recalls one driver who normally did his route in 150 miles. ORION predicted he could do it in 140. One day, the driver came back from his route and said, “I told you, your system’s no good.” ORION’s prediction was wrong, he said--he had managed to do the route in 135, not 140. “To this day, he doesn’t really recognize that ORION is what caused this,” says Levis. “He just views it as another input to use together with his intuition.

So basically......UPS is spending millions of dollars on a program that, if ignored by the driver, causes the driver to look for a more efficient way to run their route? Very, very VERY interesting.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
These guys really just believe they are so smart we couldn't possibly do it better. So even we do it better we only did it better because of Orion.

Ran a route last week and ended up anywhere from 200 miles to 250. Orion guy would of said oh he averages 235 miles. So the day I ran 200 Orion would of magically been a success. No I just had less miles than normal.

But is that working as directed?
Sometimes you have to make an executive decision to finish. Only one way to finish 180 stops before 16:00, and it's not the Orion way. I can prove doing two loops on some of these routes is a plan to fail. 20 years ago they used to teach management that if you plan to fail, you will fail.

OPTION3

Sometimes you have to make an executive decision to finish. Only one way to finish 180 stops before 16:00, and it's not the Orion way. I can prove doing two loops on some of these routes is a plan to fail. 20 years ago they used to teach management that if you plan to fail, you will fail.
’89……..nothing against you, but if you do that 180 stops before 16:00 you’ve made THEIR problem YOUR problem. According to the op’s article……you have also justified their moronic new system. My executive decision would be to make MORE money!!

tourists24

If ORION truly was the grand plan UPS claims, then it should be impossible to beat the miles.... After all, ORION is supposed to calculate the shortest route.

tourists24

The next version, which will shuffle your EDD throughout the day, is what they are working toward.
kinda irrelevant to how ORION shuffles the load.... it wont change the calculations as to the shortest route. And according to the ORION teams, ORION calculates countless options to minimize distance. That should make it impossible for a person to beat it if it's already calculated the shortest way to run the route.

’89……..nothing against you, but if you do that 180 stops before 16:00 you’ve made THEIR problem YOUR problem. According to the op’s article……you have also justified their moronic new system. My executive decision would be to make MORE money!!
Just another cover route for me...when they ask me if ill finish and bring in the air. I always say "it will be close, when peak is over, it shouldn't be a problem." Friday I didn't finish, only got 170 done. Sometimes have to double trip for 10 stops. If I finish that route b4 pick ups I can go home at 17:20 if I have to double trip it's more like 19:00.