Those hybrids that honk under 20mph are sadistic

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by margaritaville1, Sep 21, 2019.

1. margaritaville1

margaritaville1 New Member

They are absolutely terrible but there are only 1-3 per medium size building so people just "deal" with them. But is this a flavor of the month feature or something they will continually implement? They make a LOUD honking noise while going under 20mph even if you are going freaking 3ph every 2 seconds. Any management personal that says this is "fine long that it helps safety" should have a horn installed into their office that honks every 2 seconds. NO turning it off since you can't turn it off.

Also, saying it "helps" safety is opinion based since it attracts small children and animals TOWARDS your truck if they hear it coming. Plus it lets out a longer honk whenever starting up inspiring road rage and also maybe scaring the person in front of you to go and drive into oncoming traffic. They also break down super easy but who cares about that part since its more funny.

But what is not funny is nazi level test experiments on drivers with that honking noise and seeing how long it takes to drive them crazy. I'm sure if you waterboard drivers to remember the 10 keys it might help too. Anyways, lower level mangement would never have guts to get the noise removed. But the higher management that thinks this is okay to do to drivers, with not thinking of the long term mental affects, needs to have a horn that honks every 2 seconds attached to their belt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Perhaps. Staff Member

What?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  3. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

I believe the honking is for when they are in "battery mode?" you can hardly hear them coming down the road.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

That would make sense. I guess.

5. Rick Ross

Rick Ross I'm into distribution!!

Does it honk automatically when in backing? With UPS logic they would shut that off so they could write people up.

6. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

That's what one of our mechanics who works on those trucks told me.

7. eats packages

eats packages Tetris Master

I am curious how much of the vehicle runs on battery too, must be a fraction of the trip. We've already worked our way past batteries solving climate issues, they have a huge footprint and need to be replaced often. The decision is more-or-less a climate PR stunts.

But then again, we usually see them on short routes, nothing over 40 miles.

8. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Surprised there hasn't been more incidents over the beeping 4 way flashers. That drives me insane

9. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Imagine getting behind some guy with a short temper doing only 18 mph in a School Zone!

10. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

These vehicles? I'm trying to find ones with the beeping sound, but to no avail.

Y not gasoline - electric hybrid?

11. rickyb

rickyb Well-Known Member

wear ear plugs.

capitalisms centralized control / power / decision making leads to this kind of stuff. as long as profits are increased it doesnt matter how you feel as a worker.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, the guy says it's going to save fuel cause when the driver pulls up to a delivery stop the engine shuts down in 5-6 seconds. WTF? I'm I missing something here?

13. OrioN

OrioN double tap o da horn dooshbag

@Johney , I was looking for the battery mode video so I can hear the beeping... dunno anything else about these since I don't see them on the road.

I re watched the video & it'll shut down under certain conditions, whatever the computer program is:onitswaysmiley: dunno y it's supposed to shut down immediately at a stop

OP, u got a video clip of this in action?

14. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Oh I know for sure they beep all the time I've talked to a guy who drove one for a while. The reason was, as I was told is because they are so quite.