time allowance for signatures

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I guess I am just confused but it sounds like he is inflating his dispatch by getting signatures at what should be good DR stops. He says that he will probably get a signature if the c'nee answers the door quickly but will not if they don't. I don't know if he means that he will simply DR the pkg or if he will leave a del notice. Getting signatures at safe DR stops will get you a T/W in my center.
This is what I was wondering about. I have never heard this before. We have a driver that will get a sig for every single stop he can. I personally don't bother.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is what I was wondering about. I have never heard this before. We have a driver that will get a sig for every single stop he can. I personally don't bother.

This was one of the main reasons driver release was introduced way before you or I ever thought about wearing brown. Does this driver leave a del notice and thus create a send again if the consignee is not home or does he only try to get a signature when someone is home?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This was one of the main reasons driver release was introduced way before you or I ever thought about wearing brown. Does this driver leave a del notice and thus create a send again if the consignee is not home or does he only try to get a signature when someone is home?
No, if the c'nee is not home he leaves it. If they are home he gets a sig.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, if the c'nee is not home he leaves it. If they are home he gets a sig.

He is actually inflating his dispatch by doing that, especially if they are safe DRs, which it sounds like they are if he is leaving them if they are not home. I simply hand the pkg to the c'nee, thank them, and wish them a nice day.

MD Dan

Since a 'safe DR' is always a subjective decision made after the fact by mgmt either by a DR audit or during a follow-up investigation and the driver is held responsible(including allegedly financially), and furthermore I am hearing about consignees denying "met customer" deliveries from my management leading to negative outcomes on DR claims it behooves drivers to get signatures whenever possible, at least in my district. Sorry about the run on sentence...

MD Dan

When doing a follow-up we are told that we must tell the customer that they must file police report and provide us with the report number. If they will not do this their address goes on the 'DO NOT DR' LIST' in the DIAD.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MD, thanks for the clarification. I see by your screen profile that you are from the Metro DC area, which I didn't notice when I first responded. I can fully understand why you do what you do based upon your area. There are very few areas that we are not allowed to DR in my center, which is what led to my initial confusion. I apologize if I spoke out of turn. Dave.

MD Dan

Dave,
It's not that we are not allowed to DR but that UPS wants to hold us responsible for every DR while also turning 18 to 25 stops per hour. This puts the driver in a 'No Win' situation that leads some of us to get signatures when possible to offset the time lost making 'good DR's' on other stops.

Big Babooba

The Swine Flu has hit my area. A few customers won't sign for their packages until they get some tissue to hold the stylus with. Of course their search adds time to the stop that isn't allowed for.

As I approach the delivery point, I size up the situation. I ask myself, is this a safe DR spot? If the answer is yes, then I DR unless, of course, the package requires a sig. If the answer is no, then I get a signature, even if the c'nee meets my half way to the door.

DorkHead

He is actually inflating his dispatch by doing that, especially if they are safe DRs, which it sounds like they are if he is leaving them if they are not home. I simply hand the pkg to the c'nee, thank them, and wish them a nice day.

Maybe he is, maybe he`s not. Maybe the pkg`s are high value. There could be a number of reasons. Point is "so what?"

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
"We were told a while back not to use the prerecord button as it reduces your time allowance."

not true, the reason is it takes it out of GPS