Time Allowances

clean hairy

Your example is not a hidden unknown.

Your example is a good way to get disciplined.

You were taught to load the packages and scan the end of day. That's all.

It could also be construed by some as stealing time, a dischargeable cardinal sin.

Don't worry about numbers. Do the job the way you were instructed, by the book and let the numbers fall where they may.

We don't worry about numbers. They do.
The only numbers I am concerned with are the number of hours I worked matching up with the number of hours on my check.

Oak

Using the local sort scans isn't accurate because if a package gets scanned twice it appears twice in the system and bags get added as pieces.
I could be wrong, but I don't believe a second scan in the sort counts a package twice. I'll scan one twice next week to check for sure.

QualityLoads

The EOD for ups stores only shows packages shipped by the ups store. All drop offs are not included in the EOD. Most guys scans all the drop offs. I know one guy who trained his UPS store to put all the drop offs in a spot for him to scan. If this was stealing time there wouldnt be enough drivers left.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The EOD for ups stores only shows packages shipped by the ups store. All drop offs are not included in the EOD. Most guys scans all the drop offs. I know one guy who trained his UPS store to put all the drop offs in a spot for him to scan. If this was stealing time there wouldnt be enough drivers left.

The UPS Store here scans all drop offs and includes them in their EOD. There are days where there are 100 or more drop offs---no way I am scanning all of them.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've got one UPS store that insists on every package being scanned, easily a hundred a day. Others don't care.
Zales, Kay, certain electronics stores and warehouses, and a lot of the small businesses I pickup from all insist the driver scans every package. They won't let you leave with them unless you scan them first.

Sure, if you're scanning 200 surepost bags from a clothing retailer, it could be argued you're stealing time, but there isn't one uniform rule across the board about scanning p/u pieces here.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I could be wrong, but I don't believe a second scan in the sort counts a package twice. I'll scan one twice next week to check for sure.
I should clarify better. Scanning it twice within I believe 10 minutes won't count it twice. But if you let so much time lapse it will count it twice. When you scan bags in the trailer it counts it as another piece. So if you have 1000 pieces in the trailer and 50 bags with 500 pieces on top of that, it doesn't show in GSS as 1500, but 1550.

GSS as a program can be weird. You can pull up the sort stats and it will say for instance 2000 pieces. But when you go to the screen that shows each individual's scan numbers the total pieces may read 2175. When I look at the numbers the next day it is usually none of the above. Always somewhere in the middle.
You are not wrong. The system reconciles the duplicate barcode scans.
I'm always amazed how much you know about inside operations when you've never done the job. Especially when it comes to things hourlies never ever deal with.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I should clarify better. Scanning it twice within I believe 10 minutes won't count it twice. But if you let so much time lapse it will count it twice. When you scan bags in the trailer it counts it as another piece. So if you have 1000 pieces in the trailer and 50 bags with 500 pieces on top of that, it doesn't show in GSS as 1500, but 1550.

GSS as a program can be weird. You can pull up the sort stats and it will say for instance 2000 pieces. But when you go to the screen that shows each individual's scan numbers the total pieces may read 2175. When I look at the numbers the next day it is usually none of the above. Always somewhere in the middle.

I'm always amazed how much you know about inside operations when you've never done the job. Especially when it comes to things hourlies never ever deal with.

He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.