Time off for school; Being unreasonable?

Serve

I've worked the twilight shift at a UPS hub in New Stanton PA for the last three years, almost four now. This semester, my final semester before I graduate, I got stuck with a night class taught only once a year, and only as a night class.

My hub managers say they don't give any time off for night classes anymore. I have morning classes as well, so I can't work the midnight shift or the daylight shift.

I used my vacation and personal days, so i'm asking for 8 Tuesdays off.

Their answer was "You'll have to quit."

I know my hub is notorious for bad management, but isn't this a little unreasonable? They say they "really need people". So why lose a good worker completely instead of for eight days?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Just call in.
Provided you have good attendance, by the time you are over the limit and have your review, then suspension, and subsequent hearing you'll be graduated.
My guess is they are bluffing.
Take your class, call in, and let the chips fall where they may.
Any business can get you a second chance under that scenario.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Wouldn't it be ironic if he followed your advice and the night class just happened to be Ethics 101?

Ironic, maybe, but for who?
Him or his knucklehead manager?
Ironic???
I say moronic to let a part time job at UPS stand in the way of his degree.
Use UPS like they are using you kid.
Then discard the place and never look back.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just call in.
Provided you have good attendance, by the time you are over the limit and have your review, then suspension, and subsequent hearing you'll be graduated.
My guess is they are bluffing.
Take your class, call in, and let the chips fall where they may.
Any business can get you a second chance under that scenario.

Seems like reasonable advice ... getting your degree is paramount.
They probably feel they have to take this stance to not set a precedence for the Union.
Just be up front and let them know what you are going to do.

whiskey

I've worked the twilight shift at a UPS hub in New Stanton PA for the last three years, almost four now. This semester, my final semester before I graduate, I got stuck with a night class taught only once a year, and only as a night class.

My hub managers say they don't give any time off for night classes anymore. I have morning classes as well, so I can't work the midnight shift or the daylight shift.

I know my hub is notorious for bad management, but isn't this a little unreasonable? They say they "really need people". So why lose a good worker completely instead of for eight days?
Looks like you left plenty of room between the lines for a reason.

Any monkey can do the work that you are doing at UPS. At least that's what I was told by my center manager a long time ago.

And college degrees are a dime a dozen. I'll assume you are hinting at the fact that you will be successfully concluding 4 years of college this spring and will graduate with some sort of degree. My degree was in B.S..

UPSGUY72

From what your saying you need this job atleast temporaarily untill you get a job after you get your degree. If you plan is to staying with UPS Then calling in 8 tuesdays in a row isn't a good idea. If you plan on getting a job somewhere else as soon a you get you degree go right ahead and call in.

I'm sure in your 3 years you have seen people get terminate for calling in to many times. So you know how your management deals with people calling alot. You also need to understand that although there is progressive discipline your managemnent team can pretty much do what ever they want to you and then it's up to you to fight it. You would probably win but it could take a while.

Andorian440

From what your saying you need this job atleast temporaarily untill you get a job after you get your degree. If you plan is to staying with UPS Then calling in 8 tuesdays in a row isn't a good idea. If you plan on getting a job somewhere else as soon a you get you degree go right ahead and call in.

I'm sure in your 3 years you have seen people get terminate for calling in to many times. So you know how your management deals with people calling alot. You also need to understand that although there is progressive discipline your managemnent team can pretty much do what ever they want to you and then it's up to you to fight it. You would probably win but it could take a while.

I'm surprised UPSguy72 didn't tell you to quit. That's what he usually says.

Serve, it's only February. How did you use all your time off so soon?

brownedout

Serve, I was in the same "boat" as you over 20 years ago. I did give my notice, and was prepared to leave. Two days before what would have been my final day, the management team created a "new" shift for me for a couple of months. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. Let us know how it plays out.

Andorian440

If it comes down to making a choice between your degree and a UPS job. I'd go with the degree. The economy is getting better now, and there should be many more opportunities out there by the time you graduate.

PMSair

talk to your Union Rep , if that doesn't work go over there heads, :censored2: call corporate its one night a week for a class that they will be paying for anyway if you are smart

CustomerConcern

I think the call in option is your best bet, maybe try a call to HR to see if you can use FMLA for this. I have seen it used other things than listed in policy.

UPSGUY72

talk to your Union Rep , if that doesn't work go over there heads, :censored2: call corporate its one night a week for a class that they will be paying for anyway if you are smart

That isn't going to work the problem lies with that if they give him one day a week off so he can go to school they are going to have to give everyone else that wants to take night class the day off too. We have a contract with UPS they just can't make esception for one person and not expect everyone else to want the same exception.

I think the call in option is your best bet, maybe try a call to HR to see if you can use FMLA for this. I have seen it used other things than listed in policy.

Great can you tell me what PT off FMLA covers going to school I can't seem to find it.

UPSSOCKS

I have two problems with all of this. #1 has already been mentioned, it's February how did you use up all your time already.

Next up, I've seen full time supervisors bend over backwards for good employees to help them accomodate their personal schedules. My guess is your full time sup, thinks your a lousy employee so he had the manager tell you "no" to make it official. It you were any kind of employee or your full time supervisor liked you at all, they would make this work for you.

Shryp

Our building has given people certain nights off a week because of various reasons. In fact there is a guy right now that is only working M and friend.

Serve

Sorry, was busy this week dealing with this and managed to lose track of this thread. I also saw a lot of views at first and no replies so I assumed this would be some untouched issue.

The reason I have used up ALL of my off time is that I did so in an attempt to lower the number of days off requested/demonstrate how serious I was about getting this done and keeping my job. A normal semester is 13-15 weeks. Fifteen weeks in this case, I used two weeks of vacation in January when the semester started, and put in for five personal days, covering seven of the fifteen. Leaving me with eight days needed.

The issue here is that I'm a good worker, I go to work on time, I sort the fastest guy they have if they need me to, and I NEVER shut an unloader off, save for extreme cases. I'll stack stuff up and find a way to make them run, because I know my bosses need the work to get done.

In my lifetime, I have worked for people who operated on the give and take policy of respect. I give some respect, and you let me take some. I give my bosses the utmost respect in doing the very best I can do, despite that fact that when I do call off, I get hung up on, my bosses will never come to speak to me when I ask, just dodge me all night and then vanish, I've been lied to various times by management, and nothing has ever been done, even when i've called them out on it. Despite all that I still do my job, and when I ask for something that I need to get by they say go get bent.

I imagine one of the reasons it fell this way is that I am vocal about my bosses being dishonest. I have many times called them out on lies or false promises in public, with them having very little or nothing to say.

I know UPS is a harsh environment for everyone involved, and I know managers get their brows beat just as much as we do, but I play every situation I'm in straight and do my best to be honest, which is more than I can say for my "superiors".

Don't fire off into a tangent because this is no generalization, just a statement made about my hub, my bosses.

I know I could go to a doctor, cry joint pain, and get my six weeks off for FML. But I WANT to work. I NEED the money. I'm only asking for ONE day. I don't want to take FIVE days off a week when I only need one.

I know I know "Well if we do it for you, then we have to do it for everyone!:censored2:

They did it before, and it was fine. For the sake a few bad apples, they closed the entire program down, and they did it in the cover of darkness. When I got hired years ago I was told they made exceptions for night classes. Now years later they tell me its not that way anymore. No one bothered to tell me the change was in the works. No one said anything. They just spring it on me when I go to ask for what I was promised at the start.

Thanks to everyone who replied here for your input, I really do appreciate it. I want you guys to know that over the past few months i've nearly been ready to quit my job, but coming here and just reading these forums has really helped me see that its not my hub that's broken, or my bosses, but the company as a whole.

I honestly am indebted to you all.

Sincerely, -Serve