tips on how to have a "positive" timestudy ride

trickpony1

Jones,
I wouldn't worry too much about "vette".
He may be the one with the deep-rooted preference for persons of the same gender,".....not that there's anything wrong with that.".
In a recent post of another thread he, out of the blue, infered that I resembled an alleged gay doll dressed in a brown uniform based on the nature of my posts.
Someone may want to tell him that it is 2006 and he can come out of the closet.

siouxman

siouxman
they have started 3 day rides with all the drivers in our center. If you deviate from the standard you met during the 3 day ride they send you a warning letter and then a termination letter. Has anyone else had this happen

trickpony1

Where in the agreed upon labor agreement does it say they can do this?
Perhaps I missed that language.
I would welcome any informed opinions on this issue.

It seems I recall an event somewhat like this in one of our pkg. centers. Drivers had to sign a letter saying the "ride along" would be the standard and they would not deviate from it.
Sure enough, these drivers were fired a short time later. The union got their job back, with back pay, and nothing more was heard.

Don't sign anything that implies that you will perform to a certain standard since we all know that is impossible. I'm not an attorney but these techniques might amount to extortion.

DS

Fenderbender
siouxman,I bet you have a new senior management person .
Chances are he`s been told to cut costs.He most likley thinks
that replacing senior drivers with part timers or young new
ft drivers will accomplish this.And although unethical and self serving
It happenes a lot at ups.Although every state and every center
have different language in the contract,I believe this practice
is generally considered unacceptable.If your union does nothing,
call the 1-800 number and express your concerns.

S

speeddemon

you CAN NOT be fired for production variances. ANywho, how easy would that be to defend with all the different variables that change everyday on the route.

xracer

How could they discipline you for variances in your performance when they use a secret formula that they will not reveal to anyone and has obviously changed with the advent of PASS and EDD. They always complain to me about being way over standards and I always tell them that I appreciate constructive criticism and am willing to learn if they would like to put on their browns and show me how it is done, the response is usually that I am told that I am a professional driver and do not need anymore training and should be able to run scratch, but when they have to do an annual ride with me it always seems to be on the lightest day of the year but I always seem to run further over standards with the supervisor riding with me than I do while on my own, this keeps them off of my back for a short while anyway. All you have to do is follow every method that you are taught and do not do any of the short cuts that you have learned from being on that route for awhile and I am sure that their numbers will work in your favor.

J

just a guy

A couple of quick things from someone who has done studies.
1. I counted my steps not yours.
2. I measured from the car to the closest acceptable delivery point.(and back) ie, if the porch is covered and their is a good place to get the pkg out of sight you are wasting your time going to the back door, Do it once when you dont need to and every TSO will start to question your integrity and won't feel bad about giving out 2 walks when maybe it was a three.
3. Be underallowed, I don't know why but it seems to work.
4. Don't get help at dock stops. (see 7) You do the work not the receiver/shipper.
5. if you get apartments or offices that are unfamiliar dont be afraid to ask directions or look it up on a directory,(three's credit for that) Once you start stumbling around we're just going to end up having to throw out the stop.
6. if you can get up the driveway in the country don't walk it off (see number 2)
7. It is not really a time study it's a work measurement. I dont care if it takes all day if its 12 steps its a 2 walk.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
OK, just a guy, how much difference does the size of a pkg car make in measuring steps. I have asked this for yrs since its been over 13 since we had one. Would a p600, get more step/select allowance than a P1000. Simple question for someone who has done it, whats the answer.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I measured from the car to the closest acceptable delivery point.(and back) ie, if the porch is covered and their is a good place to get the pkg out of sight you are wasting your time going to the back door

Yep

And you dont give credit for going to the front door to leave a delivery notice either. But yet that is part of the job. Why dont you all give credit for that?

if you can get up the driveway in the country don't walk it

No problems on that one, but why in the city or subdivisions? They tell us to stay out of driveways, yet you time-study guys want us to pull up in the drive so you dont have to count that high?

Now, tell me something. You are about 6 feet tall, and tooner is only 5'2", and thats at the beginning of the day. Her steps are much shorter than yours, so what you are telling me is that you will use your stride to do a time study on her running that route, not hers.

But yet when you did Bobs run (bob is 6'8" and can cover 2 yards per step) you still counted your steps and gave him the same allowance that you gave tooner. But bob only takes 21 steps to get to the front door, while tooner takes 49.

Damn, how fair is that?

Where in your time study do you take into consideration the age and physical condition of the employee like required by the contract.

Where is your integrity when you post
start to question your integrity and won't feel bad about giving out 2 walks when maybe it was a three.
So you admit to using feelings to give out time studies instead of just what is? Why? Do you think that UPS pays you to feel good? Your job is to go out there and time study the route. Not let your feelings get in the way.

Holy cow, lets all call Oprah and sing what the world needs now is love sweet love.

Hey retired, here is a glowing example of why UPS's time studies, or in his vernacular a "work measurement" really does not mean a thing. With a genius like this doing them........

d

Hangingon

I've had at least 9 different time studies in my time here at UPS, and every one of them took time away from our center, normally averaging 30 mins a route. When I started we had no over 70's, OCA's, PU commit times, delivery commit times, pottery barn boxes, NDA's, etc.. Yet according to IE I should be able to deliver twice as many SPHOR as when I started.
Every study always uses the same excuse to take away time, too much sort time in the back, guess they all assume we have perfect loaders. IE should be required to run the route 3 days under scratch in a row when they change our numbers to show us they are realistic.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
helenofcalifornia said:
Hey,"just a guy," what do you mean be "underallowed?"
I think he means the minus sign - that one by your numbers. Hasnt been seen in most centers for quite some time. Its an extinct character. Or close to it.
How come they never come back and answer our questions. They must have a life.