tips

S

slyguy

Any stories on tips received from customers, money or other gifts?

O

over9five

"Any stories on tips received from customers..."

Down $100 from last year. Bad economy I guess.... or was it my poor service....?

P

proups

Tips? You have got to be kidding!!!

At Christmas, I have seen many drivers get gifts, but if you take money, then you may be asking for trouble if management finds out.

O

over9five

I, of course, meant that the value of gifts I may or may not have received went down $100........... <snicker>

U

upsdude

Management in my area has never (to my knowledge) had a problem with us being tipped. The subject has always been discussed the week prior to Christmas. Some customers actually bring the drivers gift to the building.

B

badhab1

Most of us felt it was very demeaning to accept cash tips and would never have done so. Just changing times I suppose but I just feel that one can not be a "professional" only when it is convenient. JMHO

D

dannyboy

BAd habits

It is totally bad form when you go above and beyond for a customer, and he gets you something as a gift, for you to turn it down. If the customer goes to all the trouble of getting you something, accept it with thanks. I could see your point with cash, but if it is a gift......it would be bad form.

d

(Message edited by dannyboy on January 25, 2003)

D

deliver_man

I myself actively solicit cash gifts at Christmas time! From December 1st on, I tell my tales of woe and want to all my big customers. The crushing cost of my daughter's "operation", The burden (and cost!) of caring for my invalid brother...

"Yes", I tell them, with a soulful look in my eye, "It's gonna be a lean year for them poor kids of mine...just wish there was some way I could afford to buy them some gifts..." Heck, they pay me off just to shut me the hell up

U

upsdude

deliver_man.........

Sort of like the story I use when a pickup account asks me to come back. Sure, I can come back but I need to call the Orphanage. I have to let them know that I cant take the kids to the movies tonight, have to work late. Maybe I can take them next month.

Just a joke folks. Don't worry, I smile and say no problem! mo money mo money mo money! LOL!

B

badhab1

Danny, read my post. I think that I referred to cash, not Christmas gifts. Have a nice day.

D

dannyboy

You are correct, my mistake. I do not, as a rule, accept cash. Tell them the company does not allow it.

d

V

vgpa

dannyboy,
You dont except cash? Most likely they paid for your gift certificate with cash, no? Or would you rather get a bottle of something you dont drink and let it collect dust?

U

upsdude

Guys,

I have to honesty say that in my 15 years as a driver, Ive never once been told directly or indirectly that Im forbidden from accepting cash gifts.