Ti's the Season to be Jolly...the positive aspects of working here during peak?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I actually had a pretty good day yesterday.

It was a long day...just a shade under 12 hours....but it was efficient and productive. I left the building in the morning knowing that I could get done, with the only question being how much help I would be able to provide to the peak hire in a blown-out rental on the route next to mine.

My management team has actually done something pretty smart this year; instead of trying to micromanage where and for how long I can use my helper, I have been instructed to use my helper as much as I feel is needed so that I can be as productive as possible. This gives me the freedom to plan ahead and deal with whatever issues occur during the day. I like it. And while we are still getting nagged a little bit in the morning about meeting the "36 stops per helper DIAD" quota, nothing is being said to me about the fact that I ignore the rule and focus on what really matters, which is making service on the packages.

There was one part of the day yesterday that was actually kind of fun. I had a 70-stop cut in a newer residential subdivision with light traffic, well-lit streets, and virtually unlimited parking. All of the houses are close together and less than 30 feet from the curb. 68 of the 70 stops were Driver Release, and almost all of them were obviously Christmas gifts. I have a good helper, and the two of us working together absolutely tore that place up. We did those 70 stops in just over a hour and barely broke a sweat. Its a welcome contrast to the hot summer days I have spent sweating my ass off lumping freight onto docks or eating dust on bumpy washboard gravel roads.

over9five

Staff member
My Peak starts (finally) tomorrow. Working Sunday and 2 hour early start Mon and Tues.

Got in a 34 hour reset, so I start the clock tomorrow.

BrownSwirly

Being the last driver in on X-mas eve thinking there is a burger waiting for me on the bbq that the center manager team put together for the drivers,only to find out they all went home and no burger.

over9five

Staff member
Lol, that never happens here. I've seen the package sup waiting for that last driver. The last guy not only gets his burger, he gets whatevers left to take home!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lol, that never happens here. I've seen the package sup waiting for that last driver. The last guy not only gets his burger, he gets whatevers left to take home!

Our center manager makes a point of being there until the last driver is off road. He shakes each of our hands and thanks us for the effort during Peak and throughout the year.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Christmas Eve is waiting @ 9'0clock PM for the last air driver to get in because he got stuck somwhere while my brothers-in law are at my house eating my shrimp and drinking my beer LOL Ho Ho Ho

code5

I kind of like the fact that once it gets later in the day, you don't have to worry about commit times or pickups. Its just stop per stop. Also the numbers game kind of goes out the window, paid send agains are not an issue or even the odd late air is pretty much overlooked. Its simply get as much done as possible. Its great not to be micro-managed (for a couple weeks anyways).