To all ups drivers I need advice

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's if I live there I believe. The paper work I have said I can drive after 7 days. It's' okay tho Im gonna pay my lawyer and hope he can perform a miracle. Because I'm gonna go HAM and eat some bacon
I had some time to kill so I did a little searching on your behalf.

Yes, you are prohibited from driving for 7 days under an adminstative suspension. But for refusing to consent to a breath or blood test....your license will be automatically suspended when you go to court...for a year...for your first offense. You have bigger problems than staying PT....you may not even be able to drive to work.

http://dui.drivinglaws.org/resources/dui-refusal-blood-breath-urine-test/virginia.htm

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Ok, a couple things.

I'm a former police officer (Massachusetts). Usually I would tell you that you'd have to tell them if you got arrested, especially for DUI. You're in an unusual situation though.

The question is...were you charged with DUI or only for Refusal to take the breathalyzer, or both? They can charge you with DUI if they have enough probable cause, even if you don't blow. They can use their observation of how you were driving (swerving), speech (slurring), odor of alcohol, pupil dilation, etc. For a conviction without a breathalyzer, they would need a combination of the above along with either dash cam footage showing you driving erratically (swerving) or adverse field sobriety test results, etc.

I arrested a guy for driving on a suspended license (4th offense) and while dealing with him (and towing his truck) I noticed he had been drinking (smelled like a brewery). He agreed to do field sobriety tests (failed) but refused to do the breathalyzer. I charged him with DUI, but knew that the charge would get thrown out because I had limited proof of it without the breathalyzer results. The ADA pressed the DUI charge even though I recommended he plead it out and it actually went to trial. Judge found him not guilty for the DUI, but sentenced him to some hard time in jail for the 4th time driving on a suspended license.

Okay, so here is something you need to know...Virginia is strict with motor vehicle laws, but their refusal to submit to breathalyzer test is a weird "charge." The first incident is not even a criminal offense. Second offense is a misdemeanor, etc. That being said...if you were only charged with refusal to submit to a breathalyzer test and nothing else AND your state does not have a reciprocal agreement with VA, you might actually walk away from this. You'll likely know within the next month if your jurisdiction has received notification from VA and plans to suspend your license.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DRIVE A VEHICLE ON A SUSPENDED LICENSE. You're probably best off to just tell them what happened and take the lumps.

oldngray

nowhere special
If someone gets charged with DUI but plea bargains it down to reckless op does that still disqualify him from a driving bid?

brownrod

I thought where I live if you refuse a breathalyzer and blood work it's an automatic DUI suspension or loss of license automatically for a year. Good luck with this one your going to spend a pretty penny on a lawyer

Sent using BrownCafe App

Same in my state. Pretty much automatic year suspension and if you are lucky a wreckless driving citation.

UPSGUY72

That's if I live there I believe. The paper work I have said I can drive after 7 days. It's' okay tho Im gonna pay my lawyer and hope he can perform a miracle. Because I'm gonna go HAM and eat some bacon

What does up and coming up driver in training mean ???

The state of Virginia will most likely suspend your right to drive in Virginia for a period of time and make you attended some type of DUI class in order to get it reinstated. With that they will notify your state that you licenses is suspended and your state will then suspend your license until Virginia reinstates it.

Also if you have a DUI on your recorded and are not a current driver you no matter if they suspend your licenses of not you have to wait 5 year in order to drive a UPS vehicle. If your a FT driver and get a DUI and loss your license for less than 2 year you will get your driving job back but UPS will make you you do additional things above and beyond what the state will make you do. If you loose your license for more than a year you SOL.

In order to become a driver at UPS you have to meet the following.

1. Can't have any moving violations in the last year.
2. Can't have more than 2 moving violations in the last 3 years
3. Can't have any DUI / DWI, or reckless driving infractions in the last 5 years.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If someone gets charged with DUI but plea bargains it down to reckless op does that still disqualify him from a driving bid?
Reckless driving is a major driving offense. Just a recent speeding ticket would make a driver candidate ineligible per the driver sign up sheet they put up here every year.

Edit: upsguy72 posted it perfectly up above.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Business agent.
In my state you lose it for a year.
Even if you get it dropped to a reckless, in Ohio, thats four points, too much for a new driver to qualify. Unless you qualify before you are convicted maybe, but you are driving without a license now?

UPSGUY72

This is the worst part of this whole post. Why would you give up drinking over an isolated incident? You can still drink just don't be stupid. Have a ride ready or call a cab.

It's not not being stupid it being able to make the right decision and some people don't have that ability either before that start drinking or after they started.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I have to say even when you get the privilege to drive , you can't get caught with a dui You will lose your license and get to load package cars. I can speak for most of the senior drivers , you can't jeopardize your job by drinking and driving cause ups will consider you a risk. What was more important the job or getting a buzz and getting in a car . Birthday no excuse , always think ahead before you decide to drink. Play it safe always that's why I have 28 years. They trust me to drive and love the operation report(bogus report). Good luck with this one, hope you drive with us.

WorknLateHuh

As a driver i'm afraid to open my car door after a few drinks, let alone drive around and think "meh, no big deal."

How does that mind process work?

UPS4Life

Well if it makes you feel any better Michael Phelps was arrested for his second DUI this morning after being clocked doing 84 in the Fort McHenry tunnel in Baltimore.

Sent using BrownCafe App

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The National Master Contract is very clear, if you are a driver currently. You must report the arrest for a DUI before you punch in the next shift after the arrest. Failure to do so is a termination. If you are not a driver you do not have to tell them unless you want to be a driver.

Puggy

Yeah but reason why i havent told ups is because my lawyer could possibly get the charge drop to a lesser charge then I will tell tem what I have after the final verdict

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yeah but reason why i havent told ups is because my lawyer could possibly get the charge drop to a lesser charge then I will tell tem what I have after the final verdict

In Fairfax County there's very little chance. A friend of mine teaches in that area, was caught speeding, hired a lawyer thinking he could reduce the charges... and was sentenced to JAIL TIME - which is the norm in the area if you're caught going over a certain threshold (mid-80s IRRC). They take driving infractions pretty seriously.

That said, I wish you the best.

oldngray

nowhere special
In Fairfax County there's very little chance. A friend of mine teaches in that area, was caught speeding, hired a lawyer thinking he could reduce the charges... and was sentenced to JAIL TIME - which is the norm in the area if you're caught going over a certain threshold (mid-80s IRRC). They take driving infractions pretty seriously.

That said, I wish you the best.

I heard Maryland was like that too.