to fire or not to fire, that is the question!

To fire or not to fire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No,I am doing this 22 years.My motto is "I don't wan't to know what is in it so don't tell me". I have been telling my customers that for ever.

The only time I ask is when the pack is questionable of if they have written "FRAGILE" all over it and it sounds like a box of Cracker Jacks.
Other than that, 19 years later I have also lost my curiousity.

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Early in my career I unknowingly was carrying a box full of ectasy pills.To make a long story short it was my worst day being questioned by narcotics cops,feds and everyone else.So that is why I don't want to know anything.Just deliver and pickup.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Funny thing about perception, we all see things differently. My vision is me having fun watching y'all show how high and mighty y'all think you are when I know you would want leniancy if you broke some other rule at UPS, say you forgot, just once, to put on your seatbelt. I know y'all say do the crime do the time, but I wonder if you would just leave w/o a fight if you got fired for your first rule infraction. Believe me, I am sitting here laughing my behind off at the executioners row!

Dumb argument - You can FORGET to put on your seatbelt, you can FORGET to sign the logs, you can FORGET to pick up a package as instructed, but you cannot FORGET that taking something that is not yours is theft, you cannot FORGET that taking something out of a customer's package is a terminal offense. You know better than that.

I'm beginning to believe you cannot possibly believe your position in this, you are just trying to get responses. That's fine.

"...I know you would want leniancy if you broke some other rule at UPS..." And there is where you are wrong - and I think I can make you see the other side here -

(And I DO NOT mean to speak for others here, correct me if I'm wrong)

You are saying that, if we were caught spraying a customer's silly string, we would hope that management would be lenient, allow us to keep our jobs.

We are saying that the thought of pulling a can of silly string out of a customer's package & spraying it would never even cross our mind, as it is theft. Therefore, leniency is moot, we would never get caught doing something that stupid, because we would never DO something that stupid.

Sure, if I forgot my seatbelt & were caught, I'd hope not to be fired. If I took something from a package that was a customer's in the system? I'd expect to be fired.

Seriously beginning to believe your posts are just to get responses - nobody can be this obtuse.

H

hseofpayne

Forgetting to put a seatbelt on versus knowingly taking something out of a box and knowingly breaking a rule. The seatbelt can be put on minutes later when said person remembers, the silly string cannot be put back in the can and delivered. Anyways, I voted off with the hands. House keep trying to be funny, you're like Kathy Griffin.

Off to the movies.

Turns out that was a compliment, thanks man, I'm all teary eyed:sad-very:

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
During my many years of loading feeders I have seen many such acts as this one. It is all " part of the business " we are in . Keep your workers happy and there are less issues to deal with.
I really enjoyed the time we had all those replica handguns to practice our quick draws with.

Keep the workers happy at the expense of someone elses property? You sir are delusional

H

hseofpayne

Dumb argument - You can FORGET to put on your seatbelt, you can FORGET to sign the logs, you can FORGET to pick up a package as instructed, but you cannot FORGET that taking something that is not yours is theft, you cannot FORGET that taking something out of a customer's package is a terminal offense. You know better than that.

I'm beginning to believe you cannot possibly believe your position in this, you are just trying to get responses. That's fine.

"...I know you would want leniancy if you broke some other rule at UPS..." And there is where you are wrong - and I think I can make you see the other side here -

(And I DO NOT mean to speak for others here, correct me if I'm wrong)

You are saying that, if we were caught spraying a customer's silly string, we would hope that management would be lenient, allow us to keep our jobs.

We are saying that the thought of pulling a can of silly string out of a customer's package & spraying it would never even cross our mind, as it is theft. Therefore, leniency is moot, we would never get caught doing something that stupid, because we would never DO something that stupid.

Sure, if I forgot my seatbelt & were caught, I'd hope not to be fired. If I took something from a package that was a customer's in the system? I'd expect to be fired.

Seriously beginning to believe your posts are just to get responses - nobody can be this obtuse.

Ain't obtuse a kind of triangle?! Ole kwed96 didn't open the pkg, it was open and most of its contents were on the belt. You jerks act like he took a boxcutter and went hunting! Anyway, he sez he's gone from UPS now so youz guyz can stop all your web searching to track him down and get him fired!

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Ain't obtuse a kind of triangle?! Ole kwed96 didn't open the pkg, it was open and most of its contents were on the belt. You jerks act like he took a boxcutter and went hunting! Anyway, he sez he's gone from UPS now so youz guyz can stop all your web searching to track him down and get him fired!

Oh, ok, that's different, then - all of your arguments now make sense, Free game and all, you win, dogs & burgers are ready, later...

drewed

Shankman
Fire them all, its not our property to play with......and if you want to complain about the contract talk to these fellows them and every other person that wants to toss a package, not follow orientation arrows, wants to use a package as a load stand; because thats money out of UPS's pocket as well as your own

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup

geeze just came here looking to share memories of UPS. Maybe it's because Union 63 is so big and tough that I thought most other hubs were similar. First off as hseofpayne said we didn't open the boxes...it was all over the sort aisle. I didn't start the silly string spraying sorters did. And before anyone says something like "why didn't you fire them?" this happened days after the division manager toured the sort aisle and a sorter told him to "get your ass down here and tell me you can do my f_cking job. P_ssy." what did the DM do? looked at him and walked away. Let me see...how would that silly string hold up?

I saw alot worse at UPS and nothing happened to the employees at all why? because the union was so good at saving jobs nothing ever happened.

kwed95

former pre-load p/t sup
let me also add this is the same building where the BM and DM saw a shop steward knock out an employee in a feeder and simply walked away...I am starting to see why the Ontario Hub got the nickname "the black hole"

barnyard

KTM rider
Finding PT employees and supes is one of UPS' most difficult tasks. If they had all been doing a good job up till then, I think suspensions for everyone, including the supe would be in order.

But, it is an integrity issue and could even be called stealing.

If I were one of those employees and cared about my job, I would have a very big knot in my stomach right about now.

TB

tieguy

Banned
let me also add this is the same building where the BM and DM saw a shop steward knock out an employee in a feeder and simply walked away...I am starting to see why the Ontario Hub got the nickname "the black hole"

I don't see a tough hub , I see a management team not doing its job.

New Englander

Why is this so hard?

Right or wrong he needed to be fired. It was theft, regardless of how some feel it was "minor" theft. You absolutely can not set the precedent that this is acceptable behavior. That leaves the door open to problems down the road.

Theft is theft, how can you let this guy ride on by with a free card - especially being management THEN try and fire someone at another time for a theft deemed worse?
Imagine if it's a bargaining unit worker your trying to fire while a manager/supervisor got away with it.

The correct punishment isn't always pretty for everyone.

Upslady20

I am sorry but I find soberups poster or pic in very poor taste. As the parent of a special needs child I find that very offensive and shows lack of maturity.. I am glad a very special group of people can give you reasons to laugh. Not worth saying anything else.. I doubt if you get the point.

dillweed

My pt sup would probably squirt some of the string up his nose and let it hang out like boogers.

He would then pile some on top of his head and pretend it was hair.

Once that became boring he'd put some into the moving conveyor parts, such as the gears, to see what would happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am sorry but I find soberups poster or pic in very poor taste. As the parent of a special needs child I find that very offensive and shows lack of maturity.. I am glad a very special group of people can give you reasons to laugh. Not worth saying anything else.. I doubt if you get the point.

At first I dismissed the picture as part of the immature war of words that has dominated this thread; however, after reading your post and going back and reading the fine print at the bottom of the picture, I have to agree that the picture was indeed offensive and should not have been posted. It doesn't matter whether you have a special needs child or not, it was offensive, although having a special needs child would most certainly lower your acceptance of such references.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

I removed that post. The picture was in poor taste. There are several members on here that I know of that have special needs children. My wife enjoys working in our local school system with severely handicapped children. People, please think a little before you post some of this stuff.