to Ground / HD contractors...

HomeDelivery

I was trained like an Express courier when HD gave a damn a few years ago about hiring "quality drivers" i did have the chance to switch but then i came on here to check up on that opco... glad i didn't switch. + the contractors at this division are more flexible with my changing schedule.

but, they're penny-pinching everything in every opco & i guess paying off an accident from a temp driver is cheaper than teaching the whole lot the smith system

i'll let MrFedEx chime in and fill the rest of that reply

HomeDelivery

It's not selling a workforce short. It's providing an opportunity to an able person willing to fill the position. If it wasn't acceptable no one would take the job.

in this economy, most people will just accept something instead of nothing

I see way too many people that are overqualified for this box-jockey job just due to companies "downsizing". Some have CDL's & I'm thinking that they're not looking hard enough since I see CDL jobs available all the time; having a cdl in this part of the delivery business is a waste...

so you, contractors, have the prime position to picking out which people you want to replace or supplement in your staff.

right now, i'm leading by example by training those temps; now if they follow the book or not after you hire them is none of my business... i still see drivers being lazy and coding some parcels 07 when they didn't even try to get to their address to slap a "sorry we missed you" doortag because it is out of their way. I see other drivers treating it like a paper route & is actually "throwing" the boxes to the front doors...

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Alright. Mr. 7, Home Delivery, which one of you wants to be moreluck and which wants to be Upstate? HD, your slightly know-it-all attitude might have Upstate's role seem a natural. 7...hmmm...sorry buddy. Put on the skirt and start skimming Weasel Zippers. moreluck you are.:happy-very:

Sorry BB, I don't cruise this site all day like a lot of you do so, I don't know what "Put on the skirt and start skimming Weasel Zippers" means. And, I only read the FDX discussions, nothing else. I just get a kick out of the hard on H.D. has for working at Home D.

One more, just for fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEQfe9-YoIY

HomeDelivery

this job sucks in comparison to what UPS pays... but i have good relations with the contractors that respects my work ethics & that's why i'm still with this opco. I don't have Express managers flinging OLCCs at me for every little thing that i do; the contractor just give me the route # & truck # and off i go... with no worries about claims/disputes

Now the other contractors that doesn't give a crap about their employees are the ones i'm trying to expose on the internet.

Now i see why Fred wants to keep this model going year after year... it's easy to find annual replacements during peak season. You can finally fire that worker who's slacking & get a runner-gunner instead.

or you can accept that tattoo, goatie guy to accept lower wages in exchange for "job security"

or a foreigner that hardly speaks engrish to pay lower-than-minimum wage after all those hours per week is calculated

one contractor i know has a "revolving door" I see new faces every year with him & some that are there for more than a year are just using this as a stepping stone job & is looking for a better job opportunity while they're here... and that just suits the contractor.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Aren't FedEx Ground drivers subject to DOT rules the same as UPS drivers. Thus, how cod anyone with barely a grasp on the language be employed? Wouldn't the contractor be exposing himself to all sorts of trouble?

HomeDelivery

DOT has nothing on how a driver can grasp the english language... as long as he knows the processes of the scanner, he's good to go

why aren't the contractors answering this for you? maybe busy with peak...

here's my view: a contractor has a service area that speaks mostly spanish... he would want a bi-lingual person delivering there, eh?

unless you know a few terms like "escribe tu nombre aqui, por favor" then you'll be having a rough time in that neighborhood.

i've seen different nationalities that think this job is awesome in comparison to laboring in landscaping or other crappy jobs...

Sleepy's contractors, for example, pays their drivers $100 per day & helpers $75 per day. 1099 & have to hold part of their paychecks for tax time at the end of the year. They roughly average same hours up to 12~14 per day, depending on their deliveries... parking tickets & what-not are not paid by the contractor, so you're effed if you double park in a busy street.

now hows that job in comparison to Ground or HD???:throwpc:

HomeDelivery

We are regulated under dot and drivers are required to speak and understand English.

some just have the really basic minimums... i was asking a few ?s to someone with a heavy accent one day...

me: hey, you are heavy or light today?

him: OK

me: what? no... do you have a heavy load or light load today; how many stops?

him: oh, 120

me: You going to finish before it gets dark?

me: what? ... are you going to deliver everything before dusk?

me: did you hump your dog last night?

me: is mr7 your boyfriend?

and on and on...

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
me: is mr7 your boyfriend?

and on and on...

Oh Dickie,
You made me laugh out loud, sitting in my truck, reading this on line. You're good.
BTW, I know you're just a Jersey boy dealing with Puerto Ricans but, that's not how you say "I need your signature" in Spanish.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Oh Dickie,
You made me laugh out loud, sitting in my truck, reading this on line. You're good.
BTW, I know you're just a Jersey boy dealing with Puerto Ricans but, that's not how you say "I need your signature" in Spanish.

I think it's firme aqui (fear-may ahh key) is that right Goldi? Being from Texas you'd think I'd know that...lol

Goldilocks

I'm sorry, but I am a mean ole Bit##. If you are in this country learn ENGLISH. I act like I dont understand SPANISH....Sorry, but true....

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I'm sorry, but I am a mean ole Bit##. If you are in this country learn ENGLISH. I act like I dont understand SPANISH....Sorry, but true....

My friend's mom was the same way, she only spoke Spanish at home, every where else it was English or nothing. My daughter's bestie's family is the same way, the only time they use Spanish is when the grandparents come to visit.