Today at work, I was told that we no longer have to report all injuries.

browned out

As I read your original post I can't picture the sup arbitrarily coming up and making that statement without some reason for doing so. Certainly he would not have said that to you if you had never had an injury. therefore its only logical to assume that you may be one of those guys that cries about every ache and pain and it would be logical to assume that you had some type of ache or pain you were informing your supervisor of when informed that it was not necessary to do so.

there are people that undereport and those that over report. Your conversation indicates you may be one of those guys seeking constant attention perhaps even a hyochondriac or someone suffering from a form of munchausen syndrome.

What is this? Oh I get it. 99% of the hourlys underreport injuries 100% of the time and 1% of the hourlys overreport injuries 100% of the time.

all equals out right?

GayOfThrones

As a management person we are told that we are to report ANY and ALL injuries. Period.

That said, please excercise your judgement. Here is what I tell my people.

When something happens to you, make believe you are at home. Is this something that you would simply brush off and keep going on about your day, or would this incident concern you enough that you would seek medical care?

UPSSOCKS

:death:Ouch! Oh it's not so bad, a mere flesh wound. I'm glad it wasn't worse, I might have to report it! That would really screw up our injury #'s.

I had to chime in on this one... Hoping to help someone out who feels it is neccessary to report paper cuts and bruises, and injuries of that nature. When I tell this story, someone on BC will know who I am talking about so, I am going to try to be vague to avoid that. There was a man that felt it was neccessary to report every little minor thing that ever happened. With the same attitude as Pe Pro. He thought it was a joke because he was ruining the safety picture. Anyone in management knows that when an injury is filed an observation needs to be done the next day on that worker. So these injuries and observations began to pile up, over the course of this man's twenty-five year career. Interesting enough a fresh out of high school supervisor decided to take an interest in this guy and started to document everything this guy did. He documented what the guy wore, cuts on his body, a full inspection of the employee everyday he came into work. One day the guy came in with a cut on his finger. The supervisor noted it. Sometime during the morning the guy bumped his finger and it started to bleed. He immediately told his supervisor that his area needed secured because of the blood, and that he needed to file an accident report because of the cut. The supervisor gladly let him file the accident knowing that the cut did not happen at UPS. A twenty five year career over due to dishonesty.

UPSSOCKS

I welcome people that file accident reports when they don't really need to. It opens the door for discipline and starts a beautiful paper trail. Nothing like a false statement on an accident report to kick off the termination process....

mech1

As a management person we are told that we are to report ANY and ALL injuries. Period.

That said, please excercise your judgement. Here is what I tell my people.

When something happens to you, make believe you are at home. Is this something that you would simply brush off and keep going on about your day, or would this incident concern you enough that you would seek medical care?
*************how can you tell people that.Listen everybody when you get hurt no matter what it is call it in get it documented even if you don't lose time.

Last edited by a moderator:

mech1

I welcome people that file accident reports when they don't really need to. It opens the door for discipline and starts a beautiful paper trail. Nothing like a false statement on an accident report to kick off the termination process....
A typical low level sup response.I know of alot of mgmt people who are just as guilty of defrauding the company the same way, and got caught.So don't portray yourself as some kind of insurance investigator until you guys(mgmt)keep your own closet clean because two can play that game.

JonFrum

I had to chime in on this one... Hoping to help someone out who feels it is neccessary to report paper cuts and bruises, and injuries of that nature. When I tell this story, someone on BC will know who I am talking about so, I am going to try to be vague to avoid that. There was a man that felt it was neccessary to report every little minor thing that ever happened. With the same attitude as Pe Pro. He thought it was a joke because he was ruining the safety picture. Anyone in management knows that when an injury is filed an observation needs to be done the next day on that worker. So these injuries and observations began to pile up, over the course of this man's twenty-five year career. Interesting enough a fresh out of high school supervisor decided to take an interest in this guy and started to document everything this guy did. He documented what the guy wore, cuts on his body, a full inspection of the employee everyday he came into work. One day the guy came in with a cut on his finger. The supervisor noted it. Sometime during the morning the guy bumped his finger and it started to bleed. He immediately told his supervisor that his area needed secured because of the blood, and that he needed to file an accident report because of the cut. The supervisor gladly let him file the accident knowing that the cut did not happen at UPS. A twenty five year career over due to dishonesty.
You say the employee bumped his finger on duty and it bled in his work area. Why exactly would he be fired for reporting that? The fact that he came to work with a cut finger is worth noting, but doesn't negate the injury that even you say happened at work. Indeed, I would expect a cut finger to get re-injured doing a physical job like we do at UPS.

Or is this just another one of your made-up stories designed to show your contempt for UPS employees?

JonFrum

How on earth would you be able to "prove a negative," that the employee isn't really injured?

What do your superiors think of your hostility toward UPS' injury and accident reporting process, and UPS' safety policies?