Top rate paycheck

Thanks. I'm working pretty hard at it. I paid off my house last year so it's not that hard to give 40%. I gotta look into the Roth IRA come September now.
Honestly with that much money it might be worth it for you to buy an if of a financial advisors time. He could explain what percentages you should have and how you should have it invested.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
True. Like I said, dumping a bunch of money in and crossing my fingers!
You've done the hard part. Now do the research and maximize your savings.

Why would you dump that much money in then just cross your fingers?

Do the research or hire a professional. Could be the difference of 1 million in your pocket or 3 million.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Honestly with that much money it might be worth it for you to buy an if of a financial advisors time. He could explain what percentages you should have and how you should have it invested.
True. Like I said, dumping a bunch of money in and crossing my fingers!
You've done the hard part. Now do the research and maximize your savings.

Why would you dump that much money in then just cross your fingers?

Do the research or hire a professional. Could be the difference of 1 million in your pocket or 3 million.
Pickles
It would be wise to have a financial adviser. If you have a lot of income with your home paid off, it's worth it. Trust me. Also talk to a CPA or tax attorney. They're great too. Look at other investments such as real estate.

Screw partying now. Invest wisely and you'll have plenty to "party" with later

JL 0513

Pickles
It would be wise to have a financial adviser. If you have a lot of income with your home paid off, it's worth it. Trust me. Also talk to a CPA or tax attorney. They're great too. Look at other investments such as real estate.

Screw partying now. Invest wisely and you'll have plenty to "party" with later

Pickles, with no mortgage, I would also say look into something like investment property where you can turn a hard asset into a constant cash flow through renters. That's a lot of money to dump into what amounts to a gamble. As an example, you could buy a 3 family home and collect 3 rents a month while paying a mortgage that's about half of what you collect. There's a little work involved if you were up to it. I imagine the return would be significantly more than a 401k. Plus, you will have an extra property to sell in your retirement when you no longer want to maintain it. That could be at least a few hundred grand right there.

As for the advice above saying screw enjoying your money now, I disagree. Living life in your younger years is more worthwhile IMO than when you're old. The worst scenario is dying early in retirement leaving all that money you killed yourself saving while sacrificing the joy in the prime of your life.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Pickles, with no mortgage, I would also say look into something like investment property where you can turn a hard asset into a constant cash flow through renters. That's a lot of money to dump into what amounts to a gamble. As an example, you could buy a 3 family home and collect 3 rents a month while paying a mortgage that's about half of what you collect. There's a little work involved if you were up to it. I imagine the return would be significantly more than a 401k. Plus, you will have an extra property to sell in your retirement when you no longer want to maintain it. That could be at least a few hundred grand right there.

As for the advice above saying screw enjoying your money now, I disagree. Living life in your younger years is more worthwhile IMO than when you're old. The worst scenario is dying early in retirement leaving all that money you killed yourself saving while sacrificing the joy in the prime of your life.

There's a huge difference between enjoying your money now and "partying" with your check.

You can enjoy your money and be smart as well. Investing and saving while building your wealth is easier when you're young because you can compound it.

Plus if you take care of yourself and learn balance in all things, you'll retire securely and healthy. Having financial security relieves stress and anxiety. It gives you more options in life to live it on your terms.

Also the real estate advice you're giving is a little more complex than that. If he is going to look at investment properties, he should start small. Find a foreclosure in an up and coming area. Pay all cash or a huge down payment and small mortgage. If he renovates it nicely and it's in a good neighborhood, he could get double or triple in rent. Basically the renter will pay off your investment and then some.

If that works, progress to another house only a little bigger.

We have two properties that are paid off and nicely renovated. One is our first house that we bought very cheaply starting out. It's now a hot area with young renters. The neighborhood just opened a second microbrewery near it. That seems to be the big thing. I'm getting triple in rent because it's in the new urban hipster area. It's a great revenue stream that we turn around and use in other investment accounts.

Last edited:

Pickles

Yeah, by "partying" I mean saving for my wedding and then hopefully buying a summer lake home in the next couple years.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I see 1300-1400 paychecks all of the time and just shake my head.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
5hit man.. There are some places where a basic 2 bedroom apartment is running 1500 a month... No joke ... In Texas that same 1500 will get you a nice house and a pool on 2 acres... The west coast is becoming very expensive to live and everybody seems to be moving out west... Las Vegas, Seattle and Portland Oregon are 3 of the top 5 cities for growth ... Try buying a house on a drivers salary in California...it's not going to happen

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Listen my wife and I make more money than all of our friends. I get that we are very fortunate.

However all of our friends have more stuff than us. We get told all of the time. Just go buy a car. Just go buy that house. Nope. There's a plan in place. So far it's went very well. I plan on retiring a multimillionaire
Oh you 1%ers.... Thinking your better than everybody else...lol

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Do what you want... But the teamsters aren't looking out for us

Go Support. Hillary... It's your money.

Noneof is support the drive... But knock yourself out
At least you know what you are getting with Hillary.... With trump who the hell knows with that dude.... " I love the uneducated", "I live the Hispanics " " I love Idaho potatoes" ... WTF man....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We are only in our early 40s lol.

No student loans. My wife received a full scholarship to very good Ivy League school. She's the super smart one. I'm the one that stays calm when life gets crazy. We balance each other out. She pushes me to be better and I call her out on her stuff.

It works.

We max out both 401ks and we also put a lot in various investments. With the kids education accounts also and we just now paid off the two rental investment properties last year.

It's all a big plan. That's what my wife is great at. Planning. Me, well I just go with the flow and take care of the stuff like all my little side projects.
Yeah is that what you kids are calling it now .... " little side projects?" Wink wink