Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

rod

Retired 22 years
Riding two abreast on a motorcycle might not be against the law but it isn't a smart thing to do. I had a friend killed when the bike along side of him swerved just a little to avoid something in the road and my friend swerved a little also and clipped a rural mailbox. I refuse to ride two abreast and will tell another biker to stay away from me if they try..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One other observation that nobody has mentioned is the "TIME OF DAY". Look how dark it is. This has been one of the biggest complaints over the last 5 years. Working too late into the dark.

We have told the company many times ( and I am sure you all have done the same) that working late into the dark only INCREASES the odds of a serious accident.

Well, its plenty dark in this video, and it doesnt get this dark until after 8pm.

How many of these accidents causing serious injuries does UPS need to have before they consider that "WE" know something they dont??

TOS.

On a heavily overcast day it is almost pitch black at 4:30 around here in late November/early December.

browned out

The Driver should not have left the scene under any circumstance. Was the driver a seasonal driver or management driving due to a shortage of experienced drivers? I can not envision any scenario where a veteran driver or management person driving would leave the scene. We know the driver of the UPS package cars name. Was the driver under a final warning for avoidable accidents? Are that drivers phone records in the police report? If it was a new hire driver with no conscious or common sense and a supervisor, center manager or DM with less than no conscious---could this driver have been directed to leave the scene by mgmt. and was so panicked, naïve or stupid to heed that directive???

Two shooters and the grassy noll. Conspiracies abound.

There most likely is more to this than is shown or reported. She would have reported that a UPS truck hit her that night or soon after. UPS would have then used telematics or any other available technology including checking if there was an intersection traffic camera there to cover their ass.

Maybe the pedestrian was under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. It did not appear so as she looked pretty alert when she was hit. There still is no acceptable reason for a UPS driver to leave that scene.

If there are no other crazy outrageous extenuating factors; that driver should be discharged.

Discharged for hitting the ped; permanently discharged for not remaining on the scene.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
I have retrained my husband on motorcycle riding. Yes hes done it since he was 12, and now hes NOT. But I see so much more on a daily basis, just because of what I do, I have shown him why especially here in the foothills of the Appalachians, why its better to stay closer to the right, than the middle, where he always felt he had more of a chance, more real estate so to say. Here we have had 9 people die in 3 months by our house, just because of the rolling hills and curves. And they were in cars. So bad that the OHIO State Patrol has issued extra warnings on the local radio stations.

Its not him on a bike, I worry about, its the other people on phones, distracted, young and dumb. I have shown him how a car, bike or pedestrian can be totally blocked, by a tree or a pole. Or bright sunlight coming down through a tree, and blurring vision. So after he just thought I was nagging......he realizes I just might know something he doesn't. Alot of the training I have received is very good, and I will be the first to admit it. And share it.

Riding near the left side of the lane gives other drivers a better opportunity to see you, the motorcyclist. In the middle of the lane is just suicidal as that's where most of the oils from the cars gathers. I will use the right side of my lane when necessary to pass slower vehicles only when giving them a wide berth. Studies have shown the nearer you are to the left of your lane, the safer you are on a motorcycle.

10 point

It didn't happen in this case but in some areas people will walk right out in traffic just daring traffic to hit them. Usually inner city areas. The ones who walk around talking on phone oblivious to the world are in every area. Drivers have to watch for them but its difficult to know when a pedestrian will do something stupid. Drivers just have to always be aware of surroundings so bad things don't happen but that becomes harder with constant long days that wear you out.
I saw a report on deaths involving a UPS vehicle and at least two were deemed suicides where two pedestrians actually jumped out in front our vehicles to die. Prove that in a hearing.

That's why I always sound my horn and wave when pedestrians are close to my lane of travel. It keeps me safer and the public too.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
Does anyone have an update on what happened to the driver after this came to everyone's attention?
I would like to hear from someone at his center!

And on a side note: how did this post get on the subject of motorcycles???

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Does anyone have an update on what happened to the driver after this came to everyone's attention?
I would like to hear from someone at his center!

And on a side note: how did this post get on the subject of motorcycles???
He was already fired..and not charged with a crime. The only reason this news story came to light 6 months later is because the victim deserves to be well compensated for her injuries...and UPS is giving her the runaround...shocking!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
it got on the motorcycle subject by me. I mentioned that I don't trust my life to traffic signals by putting myself in someone else's path counting on the light being observed.