Traffic Circle or Roundabout

oldngray

nowhere special
I think sometimes they are mandated to build roundabouts even if it doesn't make sense in an area. Not enough room to do it right or the way different roads meet.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
This makes more sense that a roundabout with stop lights
1694197404267.png

browned_out

Last night I approached the brand new rotary on my feeder route, as I got to the line there were cars entering to my left, so I stop and wait for them to pass so I can go. As these cars are almost to my entrance, guy in the lead car just stops in the rotary and starts motioning me to cut in 😂 I wave him on as there our at least 6 cars behind him.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
proper term is rotary.....and simply a brilliant design....much like a rotary engine is far superior to old design engines like 2, 3, and 4 strokers.
Had a Mazda RX-7 back in the 80's. Loved that engine and car. Bought a boat so needed to trade it in for a truck.

oldngray

nowhere special

Summary:

1.Roundabouts are more modern and efficient than rotaries.
2.A gridlock is more common in a rotary style circular intersection.
3.Rotaries have bigger circular intersections and offer longer weaving distances.
4.There are fewer accidents (lower crash rates) happening in roundabout intersections than in rotaries.
5.The intersecting streets in a roundabout are usually narrower.

Karma...

Had a Mazda RX-7 back in the 80's. Loved that engine and car. Bought a boat so needed to trade it in for a truck.
I had a Mazda rotary pickup truck and then a Mazda cosmo.....wonderful vehicles....smooth engines of course....both did over 100 mph with no strain on the motor....the rx 7s were a simply brilliant car...a friend of mine had an early rx7 and put almost 300,000 miles on it with zero issues....important to keep the oil level up so the rotors were lubricated....