Traffic Circle or Roundabout

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

Summary:

1.Roundabouts are more modern and efficient than rotaries.
2.A gridlock is more common in a rotary style circular intersection.
3.Rotaries have bigger circular intersections and offer longer weaving distances.
4.There are fewer accidents (lower crash rates) happening in roundabout intersections than in rotaries.
5.The intersecting streets in a roundabout are usually narrower.

We call them circles in Jersey. They used to have actual names too, so you could give verbal directions back in the day. Like “go down route 70 to the Airport Circle”. I’ve never heard rotary or roundabout before for a roadway.

oldngray

nowhere special
We call them circles in Jersey. They used to have actual names too, so you could give verbal directions back in the day. Like “go down route 70 to the Airport Circle”. I’ve never heard rotary or roundabout before for a roadway.
Sounds like a New England thing. Which is why nobody else cared. We also had traffic circles before roundabout but never a rotary.

You should listen to my sister give directions. Instead of using street names or compass directions it would be more like turn left half a mile before where that big tree used to be.

Last edited:

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I forgot about all the Traffic Circles in NJ. Especially Airport Circle outside of EWR and Brunswick Circle south of there on Rt 1
Although Circles, Rotary’s, Roundabouts and Lighted Circular Intersections are technically all different, I’ll keep referring to a LARGE “Roundabout” as a Circle and a SMALLER one as a Roundabout.

Karma...

this thread is one of the most informative and useful threads in quite some time excepting some of the contract threads.

MyTripisCut

I forgot about all the Traffic Circles in NJ. Especially Airport Circle outside of EWR and Brunswick Circle south of there on Rt 1
Although Circles, Rotary’s, Roundabouts and Lighted Circular Intersections are technically all different, I’ll keep referring to a LARGE “Roundabout” as a Circle and a SMALLER one as a Roundabout.

Apparently this is the first “rotary” in the United States. Right near Camden NJ.

Heres an early photo and one more recent to show how messed up circles in NJ got, they removed or added lights and ramps to tons of them statewide.

25FD9741-1268-432D-BE0C-025A5150CC66.jpeg

7938D649-440E-40EA-AB14-E84F7CDA439D.jpeg

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Sounds like a New England thing. Which is why nobody else cared. We also had traffic circles before roundabout but never a rotary.

You should listen to my sister give directions. Instead of using street names or compass directions it would be more like turn left half a mile before where that big tree used to be.
Rotary were I’m from. I never heard roundabout until my friends Range Rover used the term while giving directions.

MyTripisCut

Here’s another famous one around here. It’s actually two consecutive circles to connect Camden and Gloucester Counties. It also floods at high tides or when the Delaware River is running high. Makes for some very long and interesting commutes that would normally take 10 minutes and can change into 40-50 minutes.

A4EA8FA8-DFE2-4056-A3FE-780B5B02D347.png

It floods so often there is a Facebook group named “Is the Brooklawn Circle Flooded?”
03668B2D-1956-4369-8EE3-D452B174B9FE.jpeg

F645B489-A3D7-46A4-853F-12F033B22AE5.jpeg
135F9E62-8662-4989-82E9-F9CCC469C98C.png

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I'm stuck with using a rotary, my small coastal town only has one road for all traffic in & out
Traffic coming from the left has 3 lanes and most vehicles using the exit after mine to the right drop down to 2 lanes
Traffic coming off of the 2 lane road into the rotary are really stupid.
There are several signs in place that state that they must YEILD, but few do.
Most treat it like a straightway at a racecourse.
Everytime it's a crap shoot on what will happen.

There is a state plan to reduce the three lane road down to two by adding a bike only lane that will add the cycle traffic to the rotary. { Nobody has mentioned where all the body bags are being stored }
During construction that 3 lane will be reduced to a single lane.
This is the major road for all traffic heading north along the coast.
The commute back ups now are a joke, I do not use that road after 4pm, if I need something it can wait until the next day.

oldngray

nowhere special
I'm stuck with using a rotary, my small coastal town only has one road for all traffic in & out
Traffic coming from the left has 3 lanes and most vehicles using the exit after mine to the right drop down to 2 lanes
Traffic coming off of the 2 lane road into the rotary are really stupid.
There are several signs in place that state that they must YEILD, but few do.
Most treat it like a straightway at a racecourse.
Everytime it's a crap shoot on what will happen.

There is a state plan to reduce the three lane road down to two by adding a bike only lane that will add the cycle traffic to the rotary. { Nobody has mentioned where all the body bags are being stored }
During construction that 3 lane will be reduced to a single lane.
This is the major road for all traffic heading north along the coast.
The commute back ups now are a joke, I do not use that road after 4pm, if I need something it can wait until the next day.
Those things are for lighter traffic. But build them everywhere!