Tragedy in Virginia

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Thoughts and prayers to the families. I did my undergrad in a small town. A student was murdered in town a number of years ago and there was still talk about it. This'll be with Virginia Tech for a long time. These folks are all in my prayers this night. -Rocky

sendagain

As awful as this tragedy is, hearing the response from the world is equally troubling. The Italian leader called this shooting as American as apple pie. What a calloused s.o.b.! The Iranians are playing it up to the American people as though they have only our interest at heart, while they desperately work on a nucleur bomb to blow us all away, and smuggle bombs into Iraq to kill Americans.

When people have no fear of God, neither will they hesitate to destroy a man made in his image.

toeknee2gx

I imagine I'll take some flak for this but.......

Why can't we put some of the blame for these types of tragadies on:

hollywood
TV
recording industry
internet
video games

thats lame..what is shifting the blame going to do?? not a damn thing to be truthful. If kids are out there being easily influenced by all of the above factors, then we should punish the parents for doing a craptacular job of raising their kids. If you allow your children to be influenced by all of that, then u suck as a parent...Thats the bottom line. Im sick of excuses. I dont know what we could have done to avoid this tragedy but I can say its a little bit more than hollywood thats at fault...

ups_vette

The massacre at VT ranks as the worst mass college killing in American history.. But it is not the deadliest rampage at a U.S. school

That terrible distinction belongs to the horror that befell the Bath Consolidated School in Bath Twonship, Mich., nearly 80 years ago.

On May 18, 1927, school baord member Andrew Kehoe wet on a rampage apparently triggered by his anger over a property tax that had been levied to build the school.

Blaming the tax for pushing his farm into forclosure, Koehoe killed his wife and torched his farm buildings. He then turned to the school building, where he had surreptitiously hidden dynamite over several weeks, and detonated the explosives.

When rescuers arrived, Koehoe drove to the school and detonated a firebomb he had with him in his car, killing himself and the school superintendent.

Most of the $# others killed in the bombings were children.

The world hasn't changed much in the last 80 years. There are insane people today as there were then.

25yrvet

They have an influence, and you can't watch over your kid 25/8.
I have 3 good kids, tried to instruct them well, but they are just kids & can be influenced otherwise.

D

drawwoc

I can hear the libs now about the VA Tech shooting - " What did Bush know and when did he know it? " OR " Time to cut & run, bring the students home NOW ! " :sad:

Very funny.

I didn't take offense to this.

In fact, I am already getting tired of the coverage. I mean, it was horrific, and I feel saddened by the loss, but I don't think I need to hear from every person on the campus, or every person who ever knew one of the victims for the slayer. I know I can just turn off the tv, but it ain't that easy. It is on the TV, Radio, Internet, Newspaper, etc.

I think america loves the drama and loves to grieve. I was moved by 911, but I was really tired of the coverage after the first week -- same for Katrina.

Very soon, this whole sad event needs to be returned to the folks in Blacksburg -- they truly own the grief, and they will be the ones who really have to live with it. We'll be on to the next hollywood scandal by the end of the next week.

Cole

My thoughts and prayers go out to the familes and friends and all concerned of those that were killed and injured etc...

Tragedy!

moreluck

golden ticket member
The guy that did the shooting was a disturbed individual. His teachers knew it too. He was referred to counseling because of his "weirdness", but it wasn't followed through.

It could happen anywhere, but if only Amer. citizens were allowed to attend our colleges and universities, it wouldn't have happened that day.

It's a tragedy and maybe campus security will become more sophisticated because of this incident.

Sammie

The guy that did the shooting was a disturbed individual. His teachers knew it too. He was referred to counseling because of his "weirdness", but it wasn't followed through.

It could happen anywhere, but if only Amer. citizens were allowed to attend our colleges and universities, it wouldn't have happened that day.

It's a tragedy and maybe campus security will become more sophisticated because of this incident.

Anyone can walk in anywhere and do anything.

if only Amer. citizens were allowed to attend our colleges -

Does this mean doing away with foreign exchange student programs??

Or flip that around, American students can no longer study at Oxford ?????

SmithBarney

Anyone can walk in anywhere and do anything.

if only Amer. citizens were allowed to attend our colleges -

Does this mean doing away with foreign exchange student programs??

Or flip that around, American students can no longer study at Oxford ?????

I think it was a rebuttal to the arguement that refers to americans touting guns.
I mean look at the international community they all think we are fun touting
bay watch looking cowboys that kill for fun. there is just as much of this
crap going on in the world.. how many times have you heard "another suicide
bomber blows self up in market" not just Iraq either.. its been going on for
years... But when america the "pinnicle" of civilized society has an incident
all of a sudden we (all americans) are wackos.

Our media sensationalizes everything... I mean how many camera men and
news crews are on the scene, how many were their within 25 minutes of the shootings...

Guess what Ireland has murders too..
Irish Examiner> Breaking News> Sport
but since its not sensationalized, its not a big thing...

Granted VT was a huge ordeal, and I feel sorry for it, I also feel sorry for the
families that have to relive it every night when its the headline on the news..

Much like 9/11 how many times did you see the plane hit the trade center?
I bet at least 100 times a day if you watched the news.

Sammie

I think it was a rebuttal to the arguement that refers to americans touting guns.
I mean look at the international community they all think we are fun touting
bay watch looking cowboys that kill for fun. there is just as much of this
crap going on in the world.. how many times have you heard "another suicide
bomber blows self up in market" not just Iraq either.. its been going on for
years... But when america the "pinnicle" of civilized society has an incident
all of a sudden we (all americans) are wackos.

Our media sensationalizes everything... I mean how many camera men and
news crews are on the scene, how many were their within 25 minutes of the shootings...

Guess what Ireland has murders too..
Irish Examiner> Breaking News> Sport
but since its not sensationalized, its not a big thing...

Granted VT was a huge ordeal, and I feel sorry for it, I also feel sorry for the
families that have to relive it every night when its the headline on the news..

Much like 9/11 how many times did you see the plane hit the trade center?
I bet at least 100 times a day if you watched the news.

What irked me to no end was the guy who was awarded the Pulitzer for the pictures he took of grieving students outside Columbine high school on the day of the shootings. That's just wrong, man.

tieguy

Banned
In such a scenario as Virginia Tech faced there were few if any reasons to hope for survival. Short of having armed guards roaming the halls or carrying guns to school there were few reasons to hope for survival.
Kids trying to hide on the floors of classrooms paralyzed with fear. Witnesses said they were so paralyzed that there were no whimpers or screams as they were shot. They simply laid there.
In the midst of that one man had the courage to stand up as a hero. One man who had seen an atrocity even worse then this one. One man who had survived being a victim of the holocaust and refused to act as a paralyzed victim again. In a classic act of heroism he gave his aging life so the young would live theirs. His resume of accomplishments since the holocaust numbers 61 pages. He truly valued his life and had been determined to make the most of every minute since escaping those death camps of long ago. And in the end when that demon of hate that made his life a living hell so long ago returned he faced it with true courage and conviction. God bless your Liviu Librescu you leadership haunts me.

Last edited:

Sammie

In such a scenario as Virginia Tech faced there were few if any reasons to hope for survival. Short of having armed guards roaming the halls or carrying guns to school there were few reasons to hope for survival.
Kids trying to hide on the floors of classrooms paralyzed with fear. Witnesses said they were so paralyzed that there were no whimpers or screams as they were shot. They simply laid there.
In the midst of that one man had the courage to stand up as a hero. One man who had seen an atrocity even worse then this one. One man who had survived being a victim of the holocaust and refused to act as a paralyzed victim again. In a classic act of heroism he gave his aging life so the young would live theirs. His resume of accomplishments since the holocaust numbers 61 pages. He truly valued his life and had been determined to make the most of every minute since escaping those death camps of long ago. And in the end when that demon of hate that made his life a living hell so long ago returned he faced it with true courage and conviction. God bless your Liviu Librescu you leadership haunts me.

We were also stunned to learn this. Very well expressed.

Last edited:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The Internet,CNN and YouTube makes the world a smaller place. We hear more about tragedy the instant it happens and now images of any headliner stories are beamed practically "live". Pretty soon we will be so jaded nothing will shock anymore.

Ask yourself this....when was the last a story came on the news that actually made you happy? I can't......