Transfer Overseas

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Ok, this is a hard one. But don't shut it down right away. Hopefully there's a way to do this. My husband is a driver of 21 years. We want to transfer to the UK. Not for school or military reasons. Does anyone have any idea if this is in any way possible? Thanks!
Has your husband spoken to the BA at his local. if so , what did they say. you would probably have to speak to a high Teamster official in Washington. Transfers can happen within a district here. an out of district transfer is almost impossible. it needs to be a "hardship" transfer and is extremely rare. you lose all your seniority.

so a international transfer must be a miracle. talk to Washington and see what they say. they will probably tell you that he will have to quit and start over .
but that is just speculation. keep digging and let the Brown Cafe know what you find out.

Has your husband spoken to the BA at his local. if so , what did they say. you would probably have to speak to a high Teamster official in Washington. Transfers can happen within a district here. an out of district transfer is almost impossible. it needs to be a "hardship" transfer and is extremely rare. you lose all your seniority.

so a international transfer must be a miracle. talk to Washington and see what they say. they will probably tell you that he will have to quit and start over .
but that is just speculation. keep digging and let the Brown Cafe know what you find out.
Thank you. We will try this. And if I pull this miracle off, I'll let you all know how it's done. :D

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thank you. We will try this. And if I pull this miracle off, I'll let you all know how it's done. :D
all i know is from experience . I transferred to a different district ( in a different state ) and it was a 3 year nightmare of working our way up the chain of command. I have never heard of an International transfer but that does not mean it never has been done.

good luck to you and your family.

Man Of Brown

I contacted the union in Alberta, Canada asking about transferring from the States. They looked into it and said they can't do an international transfer. I would have to be a new hire. That was after going through the process of getting legal paperwork to be able to work in Canada, a good 3-4 year process.

I contacted the union in Alberta, Canada asking about transferring from the States. They looked into it and said they can't do an international transfer. I would have to be a new hire. That was after going through the process of getting legal paperwork to be able to work in Canada, a good 3-4 year process.
That suuuucks. I'm sorry :'(

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
That suuuucks. I'm sorry :'(
And his case is North America. You're wanting to go overseas which is a totally different ball game altogether. Just out of curiosity, do you have family over there or just overly enamored with the country and the lifestyle? Is quitting and starting over something that could be an option?

And his case is North America. You're wanting to go overseas which is a totally different ball game altogether. Just out of curiosity, do you have family over there or just overly enamored with the country and the lifestyle? Is quitting and starting over something that could be an option?
Can't quit and start over with 21 years at the company. That would be foolish. We just want to start a new life and Scotland is suited to us. We've been and we love it there. It's just very hard to immigrate there. A UPS transfer would be our only "in". Oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait until he retires. :'(

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Can't quit and start over with 21 years at the company. That would be foolish. We just want to start a new life and Scotland is suited to us. We've been and we love it there. It's just very hard to immigrate there. A UPS transfer would be our only "in". Oh well. I guess we'll just have to wait until he retires. :'(
how many more years til he retires? with that many years in you can probably take 4-5 weeks of vacation at a time and go over and visit. my last 5 years at the company went in a flash. about the only benny on getting old. time goes by faster, haha

how many more years til he retires? with that many years in you can probably take 4-5 weeks of vacation at a time and go over and visit. my last 5 years at the company went in a flash. about the only benny on getting old. time goes by faster, haha
He's only 42 years old so we have a bit. We're going to start putting his 4 weeks together and spending them there. That's just going to make me want to move there even more though. Ha!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
He's only 42 years old so we have a bit. We're going to start putting his 4 weeks together and spending them there. That's just going to make me want to move there even more though. Ha!
8-9 more years if he is in peer 80. will go by fast and you are right, it is not worth losing everything that you have worked for in the last 21 years.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
The problem I see here is the best way to get back with the following document and international warranty is made.