Transferring to a different state + Different local union = Losing my seniority?

Top Cat

I'm a Preloader of 2 years, and I was told that if I were to move to a different state that has a different local union, that I have to sacrifice my 2 years and start all over again. So that means I would lose all of my benefits and have to do the process all over again. Is this actually true?

Thanks in advance!

By The Book

I'm a Preloader of 2 years, and I was told that if I were to move to a different state that has a different local union, that I have to sacrifice my 2 years and start all over again. So that means I would lose all of my benefits and have to do the process all over again. Is this actually true?

Thanks in advance!
I do believe that is correct. If you were to transfer to a local covered by your contract you should only lose building seniority, but keep all fringe benefits.

Top Cat

Please hit the reply button so we know who you are replying to. Did you call your local union for the info you provided in your initial post?

okay, just getting the hang of this site

well, do all hubs have you wait a year before benefits kick in again? or do different hubs vary? I heard it used to be 6 months at one time. But people would take advantage and leave.

Last edited:

Top Cat

well, do all hubs have you wait a year before benefits kick in again? or do different hubs vary? I heard it used to be 6 at a time. But people would take advantage and leave.

and no, i haven't called yet. just waking up actually lol

By The Book

well, do all hubs have you wait a year before benefits kick in again? or do different hubs vary? I heard it used to be 6 at a time. But people would take advantage and leave.
It depends on the local you would go to. How far away are you thinking of going? Did you ask your local union office these questions?

You would start all over again . No benefits ,vacation and bottom of the paycale.

Unless you get approved for a educational transfer. You would keep your pay and benefits but would lose your seniority.

542thruNthru

We have had plenty of people transfer into my building from out of state. The only thing they lost was seniority. They went to the bottom. They kept everything else.

Top Cat

Sorry I believe I read your post wrong. Are you transfering or just leaving to another state and getting rehired?

If you are transfering and they have approved it than yes you should keep your benefits.

Nice!

Well, It's all just a thought at the moment (a realistic thought at that) But I would like to transfer so i don't have to start all over again

542thruNthru

Nice!

Well, It's all just a thought at the moment (a realistic thought at that) But I would like to transfer so i don't have to start all over again

Good luck. I know people that have been trying to transfer out of state for years. It's not easy from what I've seen and heard.